Texas Felons?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Texas Felons?

Post by Cougarbib »

Two Texas wide receivers were just charged with felonies. Charged. Not convicted. Alleged felons. Thus the ?.

That possibly hurts depth at WR.

Kendall Sanders - started 7 games last year after being suspended for the opener last season for a DUI.

Montrel Meander - redshirt freshman.

Charlie Strong, back in June when the sexual assault and improper photography was alledged to have happened, said both players would be suspended if charged. They have now been charged.

Hopefully, Sanders will get more than an annual one game suspension - slow learner.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Re: Texas Felons?

Post by Cougarbib »

In other Texas news, a 5th year senior was quoted as saying to many teammates did not love football and the new staff is weeding them out. He said he offered to help weed them out. There is a lot of tension in the weight room. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to change the culture - hopefully at least week 3.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by Hookem »

Cougarbib wrote:Two Texas wide receivers were just charged with felonies. Charged. Not convicted. Alleged felons. Thus the ?.

That possibly hurts depth at WR.

Kendall Sanders - started 7 games last year after being suspended for the opener last season for a DUI.

Montrel Meander - redshirt freshman.

Charlie Strong, back in June when the sexual assault and improper photography was alledged to have happened, said both players would be suspended if charged. They have now been charged.

Hopefully, Sanders will get more than an annual one game suspension - slow learner.
Strong's Response:
"We've been monitoring and addressing the situation with Kendall (Sanders) and Montrel (Meander) since it was brought to our attention. It's been made clear to everyone on our team that treating women with respect is one of our core values, and I'm extremely disappointed that two young men in our program have been accused of not doing that. With the recent charges against them, they have been suspended indefinitely from our football team and will no longer participate in any team functions." - Charlie Strong
They're likely done for good and should be, regardless of what ends up happening legally. Thoughts and prayers to the victim in this situation.
Last edited by Hookem on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

Cougarbib wrote:In other Texas news, a 5th year senior was quoted as saying to many teammates did not love football and the new staff is weeding them out. He said he offered to help weed them out. There is a lot of tension in the weight room. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to change the culture - hopefully at least week 3.

Not to troll, Bib, and with all due respect, Quandre Diggs (who is actually a 4th year senior) said this. He was also speaking in the past tense, not the present. By all accounts, the players have come together. Many however, including myself, are waiting to see how long before it actually translates onto the field. No one is actually sure how deep rooted the culture of entitlement actually was/is and won't know until there are actual quantitative results on the field.

Diggs has been the most vocal about the differences between Mack Brown and Charlie Strong. Most notably, accountability. I've also been told that he's already helped weed out a couple of players. Some of whom are likely a part of the four, Strong recently mentioned to the Media, who are not allowed in the players locker room and have to dress for practice and workouts in a separate building.

That said, I've been told that Strong expected a far higher attrition rate than he ultimately had, and was far less than what he had at Louisville. That's a good sign, IMO, but still doesn't determine just how how much change has been, or may still need to be made.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... uch-should" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

Hookem wrote:Not to troll, Bib, and with all due respect, Quandre Diggs (who is actually a 4th year senior) said this. He was also speaking in the past tense, not the present. By all accounts, the players have come together. Many however, including myself, are waiting to see how long before it actually translates onto the field. No one is actually sure how deep rooted the culture of entitlement actually was/is and won't know until their are actual quantitative results on the field.

Diggs has been the most vocal about the differences between Mack Brown and Charlie Strong. Most notably, accountability. I've also been told that he's already helped weed out a couple of players. Some of whom are likely a part of the four, Strong recently mentioned to the Media, who are not allowed in the players locker room and have to dress for practice and workouts in a separate building.

That said, I've been told that Strong expected a far higher attrition rate than he ultimately had, and was far less than what he had at Louisville. That's a good sign, IMO, but still doesn't determine just how how much change has been, or may still need to be made.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... uch-should" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I appreciate your contributions Hookem. I compliment Strong and Texas for their integrity. That appears to be rare in college sports now days. I hope they win all but one game.

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

nuk13 wrote: I appreciate your contributions Hookem. I compliment Strong and Texas for their integrity. That appears to be rare in college sports now days. I hope they win all but one game.
Thanks, my friend. I appreciate you guys letting me be a participant and putting up with me.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Hookem wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:In other Texas news, a 5th year senior was quoted as saying to many teammates did not love football and the new staff is weeding them out. He said he offered to help weed them out. There is a lot of tension in the weight room. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to change the culture - hopefully at least week 3.

Not to troll, Bib, and with all due respect, Quandre Diggs (who is actually a 4th year senior) said this. He was also speaking in the past tense, not the present. By all accounts, the players have come together. Many however, including myself, are waiting to see how long before it actually translates onto the field. No one is actually sure how deep rooted the culture of entitlement actually was/is and won't know until there are actual quantitative results on the field.

my bad. I remembered a 5 in the story. Read it again. I said he has been around the program since he was 5 - not 5 years. My nad. But he is clearly a team leader. And he does not mince words.

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

Cougarbib wrote: my bad. I remembered a 5 in the story. Read it again. I said he has been around the program since he was 5 - not 5 years. My nad. But he is clearly a team leader. And he does not mince words.[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Not a big deal at all, I shouldn't have even mentioned it. His brother is Quentin Jammer who played for us and for the Chargers for a number of years. He basically grew up with the program. This kid is one of my favorite Longhorns, and has started since day one. He deserves to have been in a better environment than he's been in the last 3 years. Crazy to think that Mack, from my understanding, had to be convinced to offer him a scholarship.

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

Well, Bib, add two more to the list.

Strong just kicked off two more players for violation of team rules. RB - Jalen Overstreet and DB - C. Collins.

Charlie is not messing around. These kids are getting a crash course on Accountability.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Wow, he is serious. I would hate to play Texas in a couple of years.