BYU-Miss St series 2016 (Provo) and 2017 (Starkville)

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU-Miss St series 2016 (Provo) and 2017 (Starkville)

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I was a down voter.This guy, right here.

All things considered, this will be a great matchup. BYU can find a way to contend, and to beat these guys. Nuff said
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

For me its all about growth and improvement. If BYU stayed with a G5 schedule (conference membership or not), what do they accomplish? Maybe a G5 conference championship (who cares outside the conference)? A bunch of wins against lesser opponents? Who cares once the game is over? I think recruiting to a 2nd tier G5 team is much tougher when competing with P5 teams. Kids who are competitive want to compete at the highest level they can.
If you look at Utah's record in conference since joining the Pac-12, its not like they are dominating--putting up records of 4-5, 3-6, 2-7, and 5-4. They have also never hit 10 wins since making the move. But would anyone trade where Utah is at for 10 win seasons in the MWC? I wouldn't.
I hope that by getting the challenging schedule starting this year, the team is challenged to be more disciplined, work harder, and get better on a national stage. Their current course also is preparing the team for P5 conference membership. If the team remains competitive (winning records) against a tough P5 schedule and eventually are added to a P5 conference, when they do join it won't be wide-eyed and shocked at the strength of competition. I expect there will be growing pains and challenges and down records from time to time. Some front runner fans may lose interest when every game isn't a win. But I'd rather forge the team into something better than sit back in G5 land and expect 10 win seasons every year (PS: I was a bit irritated by BYU Sports Nation's recent "what does BYU need to do to get back to a 10 win season" show. Why the 10 wins or bust attitude?). I'd love to see some of the entitled-to-respect attitude give way to earning-respect-attitude throughout the team and fanbase. I hear that from the coaching staff through twitter and other means of following them and hope it permeates and spreads.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byufan4ever »

Fido wrote:If you look at Utah's record in conference since joining the Pac-12, its not like they are dominating--putting up records of 4-5, 3-6, 2-7, and 5-4. They have also never hit 10 wins since making the move. But would anyone trade where Utah is at for 10 win seasons in the MWC? I wouldn't.
For me that's the key part. That's the key question that every Cougar fan needs to ask themself. I can't speak for Cougs_Rule, but I don't think anyone is upset at scheduling SEC teams. I just wanted to raise awareness for the quoted part of what you just said.

Of course for me Choice A is that we have the #1 SOS and go undefeated every single season. But, I was just trying to be a little realistic. Didn't mean to rain on the parade of good scheduling announcements. I don't think that I've read that anyone has suggested that we only schedule cupcake teams.

Until BYU can prove that they can handle a moderate schedule (like winning 10+ games with a 2014 schedule) then I won't be very optimistic about winning with a tough schedule.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

byufan4ever wrote:
Fido wrote:If you look at Utah's record in conference since joining the Pac-12, its not like they are dominating--putting up records of 4-5, 3-6, 2-7, and 5-4. They have also never hit 10 wins since making the move. But would anyone trade where Utah is at for 10 win seasons in the MWC? I wouldn't.
For me that's the key part. That's the key question that every Cougar fan needs to ask themself. I can't speak for Cougs_Rule, but I don't think anyone is upset at scheduling SEC teams. I just wanted to raise awareness for the quoted part of what you just said.

Of course for me Choice A is that we have the #1 SOS and go undefeated every single season. But, I was just trying to be a little realistic. Didn't mean to rain on the parade of good scheduling announcements. I don't think that I've read that anyone has suggested that we only schedule cupcake teams.

Until BYU can prove that they can handle a moderate schedule (like winning 10+ games with a 2014 schedule) then I won't be very optimistic about winning with a tough schedule.
If we didn't have 13 injuries in one game to starters (yes, 13 players missed time during and/or after the USU game) last year, BYU wins at least 11 games. Not even Alabama, Ohio State, Florida State or Oregon could have withstood losing 13 players in one game.

That was the fluke of last season. And that game was coming off of a bye, so it wasn't because people were beaten down.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

I learned early on in life that if you want to be the best, you have to measure yourself against and compete with the best. For me, that meant getting my butt handed to me frequently until I got good enough to win, but that's the price you pay to get better. When I lived in Big XII country, I remember a ton of people saying A&M would never compete in the SEC - I mean, they barely were competing in the Big XII. And Missouri? Not even a prayer. A few years down the road, what do we all know? Those people were flat-out wrong. A&M has held their own in (probably) the most difficult division in college football, and Missouri has won its division 2 out of 3 years.

I don't want less of these games, I want more of them. If I could get 8 games against the SEC in a single season (4-4 home/away split, of course), I'd be all over it, and I wouldn't whine one bit if we lost most of those games. I want a schedule just as difficult as anybody else in the nation has, so that we can learn exactly what it takes to win against that kind of a schedule. You can't get that playing an MWC or AAC-like schedule. You're not gonna get ready to knock out Mike Tyson by boxing the neighborhood girl scout troop.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

redneckjedi wrote:You're not gonna get ready to knock out Mike Tyson by boxing the neighborhood girl scout troop.
I know. Obviously the only way to get ready to knock out Iron Mike is to fight no one but Mike Tyson or his caliber of fighter. Last thing you would want to do is fight a series of lesser boxers to hone your skill and craft and tune yourself up to the big fight. You fight Mike Tyson or no one.

:skeptic:

Possibly the worst analogy I've seen on this board since Cougarbib.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

How is college football in any way comparable to boxing? If you're referring to your own analogy as being the worst, I would agree.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Schmoe wrote:How is college football in any way comparable to boxing? If you're referring to your own analogy as being the worst, I would agree.
Except for one nagging little thing--I made no analogy, I simply pointed out the false dichotomy presented in the previous analogy using the device of satire.

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
Mars wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Ah yes, because someone disagrees with you, they must be "irrational." It seems to me like a good home and home, with no pseudo-neutral games and that takes place in the near future, especially with us hosting first, is definitely something to celebrate. I don't see it as Holmoe selling us out or selling us short.

How many have complained that we haven't gotten "big wins" or beat teams that finished ranked? You know why some other schools have more of those wins? Because they play more of those games. If you have little faith that we can compete in a P5 conference, then I can see why you might be upset by playing a P5 schedule, but if you "irrationally" believe that we could compete in a P5 conference (not meaning that we'd go undefeated, but that we'll be competitive and take some games from big-name schools) then it seems like something to celebrate.
I have very little problem with people disagreeing. I have an issue with cowardice in down voting without having a debate. Actually I could care less about the weenie voting system on CC, particularly the negative votes. The more the better. The more that happen the closer CC is to seeing the silliness of this system.
Perhaps the system is in place to act as a red flag for those who can't tell for themselves how disagreeable their tone has become. Differing opinions are good, but bad attitudes can wear thin. We all suffer from that same problem from time to time, myself generously included. That's why we downvote posts, and not posters. We all have moods, and we can all change.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Don't worry, I know and could care less.
couldn't

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

snoscythe wrote:
Schmoe wrote:How is college football in any way comparable to boxing? If you're referring to your own analogy as being the worst, I would agree.
Except for one nagging little thing--I made no analogy, I simply pointed out the false dichotomy presented in the previous analogy using the device of satire.
If I remember right, Mike Tyson would always blink twice and raise an eyebrow before unleashing his indefensible onslaught. So you're timing had to just right and start hitting him between the blink and eyebrow raise. Otherwise you were toast.

Of course, I could be remembering Punch Out! wrong.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!