NFL combine - BYU's piss poor showing

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SenorCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: NFL combine - BYU's piss poor showing

Post by SenorCougar »

I wonder how BYU got into a bowl game with only 1 NFL talent? Who made that happen?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Screamineagle
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Screamineagle »

MileHighCougarFan wrote:I can see the frustration. But I think a few things should be considered.

First, without injuries, players dropping out/not playing, etc., at least two other players likely would have been part of the combine. Namely Taysom and Jamaal. And with a few more games we could definitely had a tight-end in the mix.

We had a young offense and have a lot of upcoming talent.

Attending the combine is not a guarantee of anything, other than having a stage to exhibit talent and abilities. It is not the only stage, but certainly an important one.

I have very high hopes that at least one WR will slip in the back door and get looked at.
Good points.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote:
KingCoug wrote: But it's like some on this forum are hesitant to ask them lest it cast our former coach in a bad light. Or they spin things, trying to turn a negative into a positive somehow. I mean, those combine numbers aren't some anomaly. They are indicative of a trend at BYU under Bronco. Any objective fan would find it alarming. But, no, let's just go into automatic spin mode.
At this point, all of those concerns about Bronco are now completely irrelevant and pointless to even discuss further. He is no longer here. That's not spin. That's a fact. Who cares how many players Bronco had invited to the combine? Those players won't help BYU win games in 2016. Bronco won't help BYU win games in 2016. It doesn't matter any more. Move on.
I agree with this and is why I comment negatively to those who persist in continuing to talk crap about the guy. Bronco did a really good job while he was here, we won a lot of football games. I don't know what happened in 2011 with utah but after that beat down, BYU never played the same again against the utes. In fact you could probably claim that it all started in the 4th quarter of 2010 that the utes got into our heads for good. I have serious concerns about the new coaching staff being able to do anything other than recruit and if they lose a bunch of games, the recruiting will go out of the window too. We had a proven commodity and he is now at Virginia. All we have now is a ton of hype with the new coaches who have proven nothing (other than Lamb). I hope they figure things out real quick and we start winning a lot of games but Kalani has a LOT to prove before he even gets to Bronco's current level.

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by KingCoug »

SenorCougar wrote:I wonder how BYU got into a bowl game with only 1 NFL talent? Who made that happen?

You mean the bowl game that was all but over by the end of the 1st quarter while Bronco stood on the sidelines with his patented constipated look. The one that ended with a 5th straight loss to our arch rival? That bowl game?
frdbtr wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
KingCoug wrote: But it's like some on this forum are hesitant to ask them lest it cast our former coach in a bad light. Or they spin things, trying to turn a negative into a positive somehow. I mean, those combine numbers aren't some anomaly. They are indicative of a trend at BYU under Bronco. Any objective fan would find it alarming. But, no, let's just go into automatic spin mode.
At this point, all of those concerns about Bronco are now completely irrelevant and pointless to even discuss further. He is no longer here. That's not spin. That's a fact. Who cares how many players Bronco had invited to the combine? Those players won't help BYU win games in 2016. Bronco won't help BYU win games in 2016. It doesn't matter any more. Move on.
I agree with this and is why I comment negatively to those who persist in continuing to talk crap about the guy. Bronco did a really good job while he was here, we won a lot of football games. I don't know what happened in 2011 with utah but after that beat down, BYU never played the same again against the utes. In fact you could probably claim that it all started in the 4th quarter of 2010 that the utes got into our heads for good. I have serious concerns about the new coaching staff being able to do anything other than recruit and if they lose a bunch of games, the recruiting will go out of the window too. We had a proven commodity and he is now at Virginia. All we have now is a ton of hype with the new coaches who have proven nothing (other than Lamb). I hope they figure things out real quick and we start winning a lot of games but Kalani has a LOT to prove before he even gets to Bronco's current level.
The above post is one reason I still harp on Bronco. Because, despite all that's happened over the past 5 or 6 years there are people who actually still wish he was here.

I got news for you. As long as Bronco was at BYU and Kyle was at Utah, we were never...NEVER...going to win another rivalry game. And a 5th straight loss was reason enough to fire him if he wasn't already leaving. [Removed by moderator]

And hide and watch. Those people will be the first ones to whine if we struggle this year, despite a complete coaching overhaul and toughest schedule ever. Nevermind Bronco struggled his first season against a MWC schedule.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

KingCoug wrote: I got news for you. As long as Bronco was at BYU and Kyle was at Utah, we were never...NEVER...going to win another rivalry game. And a 5th straight loss was reason enough to fire him if he wasn't already leaving. Those who can't comprehend that need to wrap their lips around a revolver.
What the hell? You got major issues dude.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I'm sorry, I didn't notice the inappropriate post before. I've edited the original post to remove the offensive, bullying comments and issued a warning to KingCoug that that kind of behavior is not permitted on CougarCorner.com.

My apologies to everyone for not having caught it earlier.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

(with) tongue in cheek
adjective & adverb adjective: tongue-in-cheek; adverb: tongue-in-cheek
1. without really meaning what one is saying or writing.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

KingCoug wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:I wonder how BYU got into a bowl game with only 1 NFL talent? Who made that happen?

You mean the bowl game that was all but over by the end of the 1st quarter while Bronco stood on the sidelines with his patented constipated look. The one that ended with a 5th straight loss to our arch rival? That bowl game?
frdbtr wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
The above post is one reason I still harp on Bronco. Because, despite all that's happened over the past 5 or 6 years there are people who actually still wish he was here.

I got news for you. As long as Bronco was at BYU and Kyle was at Utah, we were never...NEVER...going to win another rivalry game. And a 5th straight loss was reason enough to fire him if he wasn't already leaving. [Removed by moderator]

And hide and watch. Those people will be the first ones to whine if we struggle this year, despite a complete coaching overhaul and toughest schedule ever. Nevermind Bronco struggled his first season against a MWC schedule.

I am going to make a prediction right here. You will stop supporting the current coaching staff before I do if/when they don't meet your expectations. Frankly Kalani's expectations by most fans are already unattainable and people like you will be calling for his head shortly after losing to utah for the 6th straight time next year.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

frdbtr wrote:I'm going to make a prediction right here. You will stop supporting the current coaching staff before I do if/when they don't meet your expectations. Frankly Kalani's expectations by most fans are already unattainable and people like you will be calling for his head shortly after losing to utah for the 6th straight time next year.
You obviously haven't been paying attention. I've already said I'm going easy on the new staff the first season due to the total overhaul and killer schedule. I did the same with Bronco in 2005.

My expectations:

Return to double digit win seasons more often than not and eventually break through to an undefeated season.

Win a NY6 bowl game

Win almost all of our bowl games

Beat P5 teams at least as often as we lose to them

Beat Utah at least as often as we lose to them

Beat Utah more often than not in head to head recruiting

Never lose to Utah State

Start developing players and sending them to the NFL again

High expectations but not impossible or unrealistic. Every fan...real fan...should have these expectations. No wonder those that don't were satisfied with Bronco.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Ugh...last year's team had the most talent on it in the history of the program, and most of it was young. Of all the draft eligible prospects, aside from Mathews, who makes sense at the combine that isn't going?

Once the administration finally backed off of the over enforcement of the honor code, Bronco and staff were able to get the guys like Blackmon in the door.

I do wish Bronco's staff did have better NFL relationships...but he won a ton of games.

Sitake will not likely win at the same rate Bronco did, because winning 70% of your games is really hard. Will BYU fans be OK with winning 55-60% of games? Not likely. Will they be OK with losing records the next 2 years? Nope. If BYU doesn't beat a depleted Utah team week 2, they might not win a game until game 5, and then not again until November.

Mangum may just be special enough to get us to .500 next year, but I don't think ao.