NFL combine - BYU's piss poor showing

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: NFL combine - BYU's piss poor showing

Post by KingCoug »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Ugh...last year's team had the most talent on it in the history of the program, and most of it was young. Of all the draft eligible prospects, aside from Mathews, who makes sense at the combine that isn't going?

Once the administration finally backed off of the over enforcement of the honor code, Bronco and staff were able to get the guys like Blackmon in the door.

I do wish Bronco's staff did have better NFL relationships...but he won a ton of games.

Sitake will not likely win at the same rate Bronco did, because winning 70% of your games is really hard. Will BYU fans be OK with winning 55-60% of games? Not likely. Will they be OK with losing records the next 2 years? Nope. If BYU doesn't beat a depleted Utah team week 2, they might not win a game until game 5, and then not again until November.

Mangum may just be special enough to get us to .500 next year, but I don't think ao.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Well for one thing the new coaching staff doesn't have the luxury of playing a familiar and relatively easy MWC schedule anymore. Once Bronco didnt, we only had one 10 win season.

People can say he won a ton of games but it was usually quantity over quality. His record against ranked/BCS/P5 teams - including Utah - wasn't good (to put it nicely).

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Ugh...last year's team had the most talent on it in the history of the program, and most of it was young. Of all the draft eligible prospects, aside from Mathews, who makes sense at the combine that isn't going?

Once the administration finally backed off of the over enforcement of the honor code, Bronco and staff were able to get the guys like Blackmon in the door.

I do wish Bronco's staff did have better NFL relationships...but he won a ton of games.

Sitake will not likely win at the same rate Bronco did, because winning 70% of your games is really hard. Will BYU fans be OK with winning 55-60% of games? Not likely. Will they be OK with losing records the next 2 years? Nope. If BYU doesn't beat a depleted Utah team week 2, they might not win a game until game 5, and then not again until November.

Mangum may just be special enough to get us to .500 next year, but I don't think ao.

I disagree that last years team had the most talent in the history of the program. Some of those teams in the 80's were absolutely loaded and sent a ton of guys to the NFL, guys who played a lot of years there.

As far as beating the utes in week 2, isn't going to happen. There is no way this coaching staff will have things figured out by then. It is most likely going to be a sub .500 season next year and no bowl game unless this coaching staff WAY exceeds realistic expectations. The real question is, will they get things figured out and get us a winning season in 17.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Well, I now have my first "foe" on ignore. We kick cougarbib out, but yet keep this guy? (I'm not referring to the poster immediately above me)

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

byufan4ever wrote:Well, I now have my first "foe" on ignore. We kick cougarbib out, but yet keep this guy? (I'm not referring to the poster immediately above me)
I dont think stuckinbig10country has done anything worthy of being kicked off the board. But that's me.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Yep, BYU used to have a ton of draft picks, back when the draft had 15 rounds or so.

mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

stuckinbig10country wrote:Yep, BYU used to have a ton of draft picks, back when the draft had 15 rounds or so.

BYU used to have a ton of draft picks when RMs were the minority in the program not the majority.

There were 256 players taken in the 2015 draft.

In the '80-'89 drafts, BYU had 37 players taken. Only 6 of those players were taken after pick 256. To me, the thing that was most striking about the 37 players were that only 3 of them were RMs.

Missions stink for development and draft prospects, and BYU had more RMs on the roster in the last decade than any other decade in history.

nuk13
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by nuk13 »

Week 2 as well as the whole season takes on a lot of optimism with Hill coming back. If he makes it through the season we'll have at least one outstanding player going in to the nfl next year. If his age is a factor why wasn't P. Manning's?