"Neutral" Site Games

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

"Neutral" Site Games

Post by byufan4ever »

On BYU Sports Nation yesterday they talked about West Virginia game played at the "neutral" location of the Redskins stadium. The big screen video replays and PA announcer were all pro WV (from their school I believe). I had the same experience at the Mizzou game last season at the Chiefs stadium. They played extra loud music while BYU had 3rd downs but did not do the same for Mizzou. They did Mizzou cheers over the PA, but none for BYU. Despite very strong BYU support these games definitely have the feeling of being away games. Do others who have attended these "neutral" had similar experiences?

Does anyone else get upset about this or see it as unfair? Or are these "neutral" games really just away games at bigger stadiums? The only real upgrade to these from a true away game that I can think of is that they are in larger cities (Kansas City vs Columbia) which will generally have a larger LDS population and enable an easier method of getting to the games.

But, I really want neutral games to be treated as such. I suppose they need to be negotiated as such...

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: "Neutral" Site Games

Post by CrimsonCoug »

I was thinking the same thing and was going to start a similar thread.

I went to the WVU game, and it was definitely not neutral. One endzone said "West Virginia" and the other said "Mountaineers" all of the timeout entertainment was WVU, and showed fan shots from the WVU section of the crowd. The WVU band came and played during timeouts and did the halftime show. The loud PA music on BYU offensive 3rd downs was obnoxious. This despite BYU being 40-45% of the crowd (after halftime; it takes awhile for all the Mormons to show up).

As a fan, I came away feeling a little stiffed. I paid for a neutral site game. I got a WVU home game transplanted to FedEx field.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

I figured it would be that way since both the Arizona game and the West Virginia game were relatively near their schools. Neutral site doesn't necessarily equal neutral production.

billbillbillbill
BLUEshirt

Post by billbillbillbill »

I attended the Arizona game and that one definitely felt neutral. They played our fight song after scores and had plenty of BYU videos during timeouts. They had BYU on one end zone too.

Ygridiron4ever
Freshman

Post by Ygridiron4ever »

Like CrimsonCoug, I was at the WVU game, and it definitely had the feel of an away game. EVERYTHING was geared toward the mountaineers. Anyone would be hard pressed to say anything other than the location was neutral.

I haven't seen any other "neutral" games this year, even though they do seem to be more and more prevalent. Do other schools insist on more neutrality?

My thought, and question is: Does BYU have fewer bargaining chips without a conference insisting that one of its members be treated equally in neutral games?

"Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." -Einstein
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Neutral site games are all about TV revenue. Broadcast rights contracts are tied to the stadium--for example BYU's contract with ESPN gives ESPN rights on all game in LES at certain rates, and ESPN can choose which games to pick up based on those rates.

Neutral site games give the schools opportunities to negotiate separate contracts for their marquee match-ups. Instead of WVU getting the same fee structure that was in place for their game against Youngstown State, they (and BYU) get to negotiate this game in isolation where it's at a neutral site. (BYU is unique in their contract with ESPN in that ESPN facilitates BYU in their neutral-site negotiations, but this game was negotiated before BYU partnered with ESPN).

All said and done? Each school got paid $2.25 million for last week's game alone. I think BYU is willing to let WVU get all those perks for that payout--nearly twice their usual bowl payout.

http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref ... s.html.csp

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

They're better than true away games. I thought the Mizzou series was an amazing deal for BYU.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

If we rake in $2M bucks and get to play some great teams, I'm all for it. We have to do something to keep generating money and stay relevant as independents.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

The large fan showing to the game was as good of proof that BYU is a P5 conference quality school as anything too.
Last edited by BoiseBYU on Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I would like to see Houston try something like that.