So who wins when the worst offense in the NCAA meets the worst Defense

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: So who wins when the worst offense in the NCAA meets the worst Defense

Post by Fido »

Gunk wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:26 pm Holmoe has failed and continues to fail. We are getting worse.
In my book Holmoe hasn't failed by hiring Sitake and letting Sitake bring in a staff he wants. He fails if he does nothing to hold the staff accountable.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I wonder how many of those boosters and former players who were all butt hurt because Bronco wasn't personable enough for them would take him back now if the opportunity was there? Kalani has completely destroyed a winning program and it took him exactly 1 year to do it. I love BYU football, I wait all year for it. I don't really keep track of any other sport anymore since the ownership of the Phoenix suns has destroyed that franchise too. Basically, I have no team that is worth watching anymore. This needs fixed and it needs fixed now. I would be in favor of firing Kalani right now and making Lamb the interim head coach. I don't even think he deserves the rest of the year.

MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by MTM »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:43 pm Who wins? UTah, taking all our quality decommits.
They might switch back after our face plant today.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:39 pm I wonder how many of those boosters and former players who were all butt hurt because Bronco wasn't personable enough for them would take him back now if the opportunity was there? Kalani has completely destroyed a winning program and it took him exactly 1 year to do it. I love BYU football, I wait all year for it. I don't really keep track of any other sport anymore since the ownership of the Phoenix suns has destroyed that franchise too. Basically, I have no team that is worth watching anymore. This needs fixed and it needs fixed now. I would be in favor of firing Kalani right now and making Lamb the interim head coach. I don't even think he deserves the rest of the year.
I thought about Lamb--since everyone seemed to think he was the vet brought in to guide these young, inexperienced coaches for a couple years before moving on to his own HC job--but I've not been impressed with the special teams play either.

I think Detmer is going to have to take the biggest blame here--being hired after only having HS coaching experience and then putting such a crap product on the field after 1 3/4 season. But it might also cost Sitake his job due to what turned out to be such a poor decision. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt but when you get a HC job and hire a bunch of your buddies that don't have much in the experience department, and then put up a season like this, you can't complain about being shown the door.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Fido wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:11 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:39 pm I wonder how many of those boosters and former players who were all butt hurt because Bronco wasn't personable enough for them would take him back now if the opportunity was there? Kalani has completely destroyed a winning program and it took him exactly 1 year to do it. I love BYU football, I wait all year for it. I don't really keep track of any other sport anymore since the ownership of the Phoenix suns has destroyed that franchise too. Basically, I have no team that is worth watching anymore. This needs fixed and it needs fixed now. I would be in favor of firing Kalani right now and making Lamb the interim head coach. I don't even think he deserves the rest of the year.
I thought about Lamb--since everyone seemed to think he was the vet brought in to guide these young, inexperienced coaches for a couple years before moving on to his own HC job--but I've not been impressed with the special teams play either.

I think Detmer is going to have to take the biggest blame here--being hired after only having HS coaching experience and then putting such a crap product on the field after 1 3/4 season. But it might also cost Sitake his job due to what turned out to be such a poor decision. I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt but when you get a HC job and hire a bunch of your buddies that don't have much in the experience department, and then put up a season like this, you can't complain about being shown the door.
Lamb would be interim because you have to have an interim. If he were to somehow right the ship (he was great at SUU), then IMO even though he isn't a card carrying Mormon, he should be given a shot at HC. Yes special teams hasn't been great but IMO, that is because of the complete program failure that starts with the head coach.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:19 pm Lamb would be interim because you have to have an interim. If he were to somehow right the ship (he was great at SUU), then IMO even though he isn't a card carrying Mormon, he should be given a shot at HC. Yes special teams hasn't been great but IMO, that is because of the complete program failure that starts with the head coach.
But Lamb as the staff mentor is also part responsible for this Titanic of a season. I don't know that you reward that with a promotion--even in the interim.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I doubt Coach Lamb was having such lax standards when he was HC. Discipline and execution can outplay slightly to modestly superior talent.
I'm not making an argument to get rid of Kalani or promoting Ed, but the HC sets the culture as well as accountability.
Kalani will be brought down to the dust and brink of forced resignation before he cuts his loyalty ties with coaches who are failing him. Then and only then will he start to make serious changes. TH will have to at it's either them or you, Kalani.
Kalani has a very tough learning curve ahead of him. Hopefully he figures out that LaVel was successful bc he often had smart and/or mean SOBs for assistant coaches.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:39 pm I don't really keep track of any other sport anymore since the ownership of the Phoenix suns has destroyed that franchise too. Basically, I have no team that is worth watching anymore. This needs fixed and it needs fixed now.
Maybe you should start watching the Suns again. Their awfulness exceeds BYU's right now. It might make you feel better about BYU. It's worked for me.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Tom Holmoe as interim HC.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Before you start firing people, have a plan in place is all I’m saying. Because it ALWAYS can get worse. You might not think so right now, but bank on it, it can always get worse if you don’t do this right.