The difference in this year's team

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The difference in this year's team

Post by Lawboy »

I could name names and tell stories. or point to public comments, tweets, and give locker room stories, but I won't.

And as I said, the QB position was not the only one with issues last year. When Mike Alisa started to emerge, a certain RB got a bit upset and acted out in the locker room.

There was a massive leadership void last year. This year is different, for many reasons.

What's odd is why anyone is even trying to deny locker room issues last year. Or place it all on Heaps. that is just dumb. Heaps played scared and timid, was not good, deserved to get pulled, but he was not the only player on O who sucked. BYU had issues last year on offense. Oline issues, QB issues, scheme issues. Bit of a mess really.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Lawboy wrote:I could name names and tell stories. or point to public comments, tweets, and give locker room stories, but I won't.

And as I said, the QB position was not the only one with issues last year. When Mike Alisa started to emerge, a certain RB got a bit upset and acted out in the locker room.

There was a massive leadership void last year. This year is different, for many reasons.

What's odd is why anyone is even trying to deny locker room issues last year. Or place it all on Heaps. that is just dumb. Heaps played scared and timid, was not good, deserved to get pulled, but he was not the only player on O who sucked. BYU had issues last year on offense. Oline issues, QB issues, scheme issues. Bit of a mess really.
Really. So let's put that all on Nelson.

The following seems more balanced -

Fans clammored for massive coaching changes and got them -

Defense survived pretty well
Doman - Virgin OC - struggled - leadership suffered
Heaps was designated and also self-designated team leader - very poor leadership skills - wrong guy - leadership fail
Guys like Matt Reynolds did not fill the leadership void - until the Bowl Game play where he played like the new team leader - Nelson - and with helmet removed - leveled the Tulsa guy - without worrying that he might get hurt.
Nelson - inserted needed leadership - instantly from USU forward.
Nelson is not perfect
JJ did pout and throw a tantrum when his senior season was detailed by an upstart, unheralded freshman. That happens. Note that a week later - JJ stepped up his play - and as opponents focused on Alisa - he seemed more human.
Never mind that we had coach Reynolds rotated, a new option oriented RB coach, a virgin receivers coach - and shock wave

Leadership issues.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Lawboy wrote:
hawkwing wrote:The so called cliques is nothing more than Heaps apologists trying to blame Riley Nelson for the switch.
No offense Hawk, but I am not sure if you are totally full of it or are being mislead or being dishonest The switch was proven right, but the drama was there all the same. Personality issues were major. MAJOR.

Regardless, that is some revisionist history. Go look at comments from Media Day where players basically said that this off season there are no cliques, which basically means that they are acknowledging that last season there were. Because there were. Or call them disgruntled players or whatever, but the locker room had issues last year. And as I said, it was not just about Heaps-Nelson, although that was a large part of it. Other seniors caused some drama as well. Oline players, RBs and even some LB players(plural).

I have more than 1 source in the locker room on this one. The locker room was not united last year. There were issues.
It truly is astounding, though not a mystery, how the phenomenon of Scapegoating works. And lest some of you need a biblical lesson or I risk offending some of your intelligence and revisionistic tendencies, all the sins would get pinned to the scapegoat and then the scapegoat would get sent out, voluntarily or not. It's just easier that way really. Let's just pin all of it on the goat and exonerate those left behind. We need our heroes to be clean, blemish free, guilt free, and ready to assume pedestal status.
I suspect that when the wheels come off this year, that folks like me will be blamed by some folks as to "not believing" or giving " full support and confidence". So be it. Again, I hope he attains pedestal greatness.
Regardless, the scapegoat is gone. No excuses. Clear pathway. Kick some butt. Go Cougs!

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Lawboy wrote:I could name names and tell stories. or point to public comments, tweets, and give locker room stories, but I won't.

That's an interesting one about Alisa that I had not heard before. I always heard J.J. was a bit smug and cocky, so that sort of response does not surprise me. Alisa deserved play time last year and he'll break out for real in 2012. He is going to be exciting.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

dmcougar wrote:
Lawboy wrote:
hawkwing wrote:The so called cliques is nothing more than Heaps apologists trying to blame Riley Nelson for the switch.
No offense Hawk, but I am not sure if you are totally full of it or are being mislead or being dishonest The switch was proven right, but the drama was there all the same. Personality issues were major. MAJOR.

Regardless, that is some revisionist history. Go look at comments from Media Day where players basically said that this off season there are no cliques, which basically means that they are acknowledging that last season there were. Because there were. Or call them disgruntled players or whatever, but the locker room had issues last year. And as I said, it was not just about Heaps-Nelson, although that was a large part of it. Other seniors caused some drama as well. Oline players, RBs and even some LB players(plural).

I have more than 1 source in the locker room on this one. The locker room was not united last year. There were issues.
It truly is astounding, though not a mystery, how the phenomenon of Scapegoating works. And lest some of you need a biblical lesson or I risk offending some of your intelligence and revisionistic tendencies, all the sins would get pinned to the scapegoat and then the scapegoat would get sent out, voluntarily or not. It's just easier that way really. Let's just pin all of it on the goat and exonerate those left behind. We need our heroes to be clean, blemish free, guilt free, and ready to assume pedestal status.
I suspect that when the wheels come off this year, that folks like me will be blamed by some folks as to "not believing" or giving " full support and confidence". So be it. Again, I hope he attains pedestal greatness.
Regardless, the scapegoat is gone. No excuses. Clear pathway. Kick some butt. Go Cougs!
DM - the scapegoat is not gone. Everyone seems to have one or two or three. Your three seem to be OL, OL Coach, and Riley Nelson. There are probably a number of fans on board relative to Weber and the OL. The strength and conditioning coach makes a number of goat rope lists. And these guys get ripped. Well, except the OL. If they get "ripped" they won't get ripped. No mercy, tact, diplomacy, or subtlety. Hatred, venom spewed.

I like to think that the sweet, innocent, old Whine Bibster has no scapegoats. Just concerns about coaches who are still relatively inexperienced, positions with ? Or * if you will, like FB, TE, OL, and RB in that order. He does not hate anyone. He would like to see every single player do well.

Will OC become a scapegoat or is he too far off the radar? About the time he takes one kick return from Hoff - just wait to hear the grumbling start - unless he takes it to the house without fumbling.

We are a harsh bunch. We really are sometimes.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
byucougar1
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byucougar1 »

Hearing about the team dissension adds clarity to why the team did not appear to playup to their potential. It also makes me question whether the coaches knew about it, attempted to do something about it, or whether they let the players sort it out on their own. I am disturbed that this happened considering the Band of Brothers mantra, Bronco wearing the shirt signifying team togetherness and unity, etc. What gives and how can this be prevented in the future?

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Blah...blah...blah...

Bottom line, you never hear of dissensions among winning teams.

Fans don't even care about dissensions if the team is winning. Ours isn't, or at least not in great fashion, so here we are debating dissensions like a bunch of teenage girls at a sleep over.

Did you hear so and so said this and then did that...

Well I heard it wasn't that but this...

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Larrycoug
BLUEshirt

Post by Larrycoug »

I get wanting to play, but sacrificing the team's chances by playing hurt doesn't exactly smack of team leadership. So again, Riley does a good job at leading the Riley to start, but not so good at being a team leader.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

LarryCoug, actually to Riley's defense, I think his leadership warrants more than just getting the starting job. He kept his foot on the accelerator last year. Yes, I think his leadership has A certain ego and self centeredness, but his troops rallied for him last year. The test remaining before him will be can he lead his team in the off-season into heightened levels, workouts , etc. and then can it translate to on the field this year. Or will the team performance just be ho-hum. Beck and Hall did admirably at this. But they also had other leaders in the likes of Pitta and Collie to carry the load.

I think Riley will be most tested in his ability to play smart and not just hard. But also he will have to grab his Olinemen by the mask and out fire in them ala Detmer and Doman.

byucougar1
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byucougar1 »

One thing is for sure - Riley will be an inspiration to the team in whatever capacity he plays - QB, special teams or injured. He is the Ogletree on the offense. Blue collar, lunch pail toting, tough as nails approach.