RB Preview Part VII

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: RB Preview Part VII

Post by vancouvercougar »

Cougarbib2 wrote:Alisa and Juice have proven that they are ok - decent. Neither has proven that they are going to dominate a game or rush effectively on the road vs teams like ND, Utah, BSU, and GT.

They might step up with now being more experienced and hopefully healthy. May not. I also worry about Pritchard's full recovery.

This unit is unproven for the level of competition we face.

So - maybe we can hope for a pleasant surprise.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
A healthy Pritchard would have been a big help last year.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Wasn't Quezada dealing with migraines through a lot of 2011? He didn't see a lot of playing time, never found a rythm, and it wasn't a very productive year overall for ANY running back. I'm not worried about him. Just hope he got his migraine issues worked out and keeps it under control. I remember him being one of the few bright spots on the 2010 team.

AS far a Pritchard's injury goes, it was a major injury as we all know. But I'm confident that if he was smart about his postoperative course he'll be just fine.

Can't wait to find out who will emerge this year. Excited to see how the rugby implant (Lasike?) does.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Juice had an ankle sprain and his brother died too. Rough year all around. I expect him to have a better year with his extra reps.

mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mizzoucoug »

Juice was hurt so he lost a few steps last season and Alisa showed some Unga explosion.However, there is not enough data on him to know how good he can be. I personally think anyone will be better than JJ. Our running game will be better in 2012 for sure.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

I think that Quezada could have produced more in his freshman season had he been utilized more. This is not a criticism, but simply an observation that he was being eased into action because he was a true freshman, and BYU had experienced backs in Kariya and D' Luigi. "Juice" was not meant to be the work horse then. Having said that, I would say that when he got his touches, Quezada really impressed me in 2010. He was smooth and athletic in his movements, with seemingly effortless direction changes, like a smaller version of Luke Staley. He was a completely different animal then. I too, was disappointed with him last season, but thought "no wonder" once I had learned about his ankle problems. I will predict this: as long as he is back to full health, expect Quezada to have a hugely productive season this fall.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Reality Time

BYU never has great running backs. Yet hope and hype are eternal with some fans. Sometimes BYU has good running backs. Maybe Staley was a great college running back. Wouldn't have been in the NFL - wasn't much of a threat inside the tackles.

The good BYU running backs get converted to fullback or special teams or tight end in the NFL. Speed deficit is usually why - or size.

This year we have RBs that have proven that they are OK - that is it. Maybe we get a pleasant surprise and get a good college RB like Unga or CB - maybe. And which NFL team are they starting for???

BYU does not get great RBs and DBs. Great WRs are rare. Speed!

U was supposed to have nobody last year. Langi went there expecting to start as a true freshman. U pulled a rabbit out of the proverbial hat and suddenly had a PAC 10 leading RB and Langi 3rd string with rumors that he may get converted to FB - speed - he could not outrun a cop.

There are reasons considering qualifications to play at BYU and demographics of the LDS Church that gives U an advantage in recruiting RBs and DBs.

We are legendary with QB, TE, OL, LB, and DL. That has been our strength.

Reality us that this will not be a Harvey Unga type RB year - unless somebody exceeds expectations - as the Beach Boys might say - Wouldn't It Be Nice.......

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
JamieVallen
Sophomore

Post by JamieVallen »

Jamaal Williams... Why never any mention of him? When all is said and done I think many will be pleasantly surprised.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

vancouvercougar wrote: A healthy Pritchard would have been a big help last year.
...We have been told.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

Got to disagree, Bib. Staley's knee let him down, so we never got to see what he would have done in the NFL. But when he was healthy, Luke was everything that Marshall Faulk was. In college play, he was probably even more of a phenomenon than Faulk, being stronger, but just as fast. What a freak of nature he was. I think he would have given Faulk a run for it in the NFL. Ronny Jenkins was a great back as a freshman. Not so much when he came back after his first suspension, when he weighed more. He was good, but not great by then, due to a loss of speed.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

jmvcougar wrote:Jamaal Williams... Why never any mention of him? When all is said and done I think many will be pleasantly surprised.

Agree with this. I am excited to see this kid play. He could be great. Also Adam Hines might be. Those two are a cut above the usual RB's aquired by BYU. They might get a chance to show their abilities on special teams while Alisa and Quezada fill the RB playing time, at least in the early season.