Death Penalty for Penn State!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Death Penalty for Penn State!

Post by scott715 »

Can't figure out how to post a picture so I will have to do it this way.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/list.html?display=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/list.html?display=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Don't think that worked, unless you were trying to link to the main page of cougarboard.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Okay I can't get the link to work so I will describe it. The first picture was a plane flying over PSU with a banner that said "Take down the statue or we will". then someone photo shopped a nitty lion in place of the Jo Pa statue.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

I didn't read all of the posts over 5+ pages, but does anyone here remember the Baylor University scandal where one player murdered another player? This is the closest thing that happened to the PSU football scandal. The two most interesting things from the Baylor scandal that I see are 1)the cover-up didn't happen because one lowly assistant coach wasn't going to stand by and let the head coach, the AD, or anyone else keep him from telling the truth and 2) that assistant coach cannot get a job coaching anywhere because no one wants a whistle blower on their staff.

The punishment for Baylor was loss of scholarships and no non-conference basketball games for one year.

The punishment for PSU needs to be much higher. There was a 14 year cover-up. From the Board of Trustees, to the President, to the AD, to the Coach, to other coaches on the staff. If that's not lack of institutional control there is no such thing. At least one year without football, loss of all 85 scholarships for 2 years following their lost season(s), followed by only 20 scholarships added per year for 4 years, and loss of 2 paid coaching positions for 10 years.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

The NCAA & B1G should get creative. Maybe something like, all of Penn St's shares of B1G money for the next 13 years will not go to Penn St coffers, but to child abuse groups.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

SpiffCoug wrote:The NCAA & B1G should get creative. Maybe something like, all of Penn St's shares of B1G money for the next 13 years will not go to Penn St coffers, but to child abuse groups.
While I have been very adamant against NCAA involvement, I really like this. But that would presume that the Big 10 has any more cajones than the cover up guys at psu.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Schmoe wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:I see the pitch fork crew is out in force.

The only ones who deserve punishment are the wrongdoers. I understand the argument that the football team was a benefactor of the coverup, but they obviously aren't benefitting much now. Can you imagine the banners when Penn State comes rolling into town to play football? "Hey Penn State--Keep your tickle montsers to yourself." The football team is more than paying for whatever benefit the coverup gave them. I imagine this will hurt recruiting for some time.

What wrongful activities did the current football team engage in with respect to this Sandusky tragedy? None.
The same argument you're making here could have been made at SMU, USC, etc.
There's a huge difference. All the teams you mentioned had NCAA violations. Penn State did not. I do understand that there is an issue with hurting current teams for past violations, but the point here is that these were not NCAA violations. Hence, the NCAA should stay out of it.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

stuckinbig10country wrote:I didn't read all of the posts over 5+ pages, but does anyone here remember the Baylor University scandal where one player murdered another player? This is the closest thing that happened to the PSU football scandal. The two most interesting things from the Baylor scandal that I see are 1)the cover-up didn't happen because one lowly assistant coach wasn't going to stand by and let the head coach, the AD, or anyone else keep him from telling the truth and 2) that assistant coach cannot get a job coaching anywhere because no one wants a whistle blower on their staff.

The punishment for Baylor was loss of scholarships and no non-conference basketball games for one year.

The punishment for PSU needs to be much higher. There was a 14 year cover-up. From the Board of Trustees, to the President, to the AD, to the Coach, to other coaches on the staff. If that's not lack of institutional control there is no such thing. At least one year without football, loss of all 85 scholarships for 2 years following their lost season(s), followed by only 20 scholarships added per year for 4 years, and loss of 2 paid coaching positions for 10 years.
I mentioned Baylor in my post. They got punished not for the cover up of the murder, but specifically because the coach was also cheating--recruiting violations, I believe. The NCAA has not and should not get involved with criminal violations--that is what the police are for.

What kind of sanctions should BYU have faced when we had players arrested for theft, balloon gate, etc.? I don't think we want to open the door that allows the NCAA to dole out punishments for criminal violations.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

you're pretty far down the slippery slope to compare water ballooning to child rape.