Death Penalty for Penn State!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Death Penalty for Penn State!

Post by jvquarterback »

The NCAA should not be the arbiter here so I agree with peoe saying that.

However the kids who were molested should exact whatever they consider justice. If any of them think penn St football or the entire athletic dept (or even he entire school) should be shut down then that would be just. There is no reason a judge shouldn't be able to include that in any settlement. If a private institution did this it would be disbanded and rightly so.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

jvquarterback wrote:The NCAA should not be the arbiter here so I agree with peoe saying that.

However the kids who were molested should exact whatever they consider justice. If any of them think penn St football or the entire athletic dept (or even he entire school) should be shut down then that would be just. There is no reason a judge shouldn't be able to include that in any settlement. If a private institution did this it would be disbanded and rightly so.

Civil judges can't order the termination of an entity--equivalent of the death penalty, so it's reserved for criminal cases.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

A question needs to be asked here. If PSU wanted to schedule a game with us, should we take it? Should other schools schedule a game or even backout of a contract? Personally I don't want to play them now.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

hawkwing wrote:If Penn State wont tear down the Joe Paterno statue, they should at least cover it up.
Perhaps we can get the Utes to paint it red. More seriously - does Penn State really have a real - true rival? Pitt?

Perhaps Penn State could give us insight on how to survive and thrive without a true Rival. Maybe that was the flaw with the Big 11. Will Nebraska have a true rival? Or will it still be Okie.

Anyway - I would imagine that someone at some point soon will deface that statue unless PSU hires 7 X 24 armed guards.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BroncoBot wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:I bet the $100 million that many are tossing out there (here and in the press) for Penn St's liability is low.
Agreed. This is going to hurt psu in a bad way for a LONG time.

Agreed - I threw that number out there as a very conservative "at least" number. It could be hundreds of millions including defense costs and depending how many more people come out of the woodwork and how many PSU employees claim their careers have been damaged by these actions. Anyone can sue. They will not all win. PSU will be busy defending themselves. Maybe opponents can sue due to cost of extra security measures. Maybe Networks for loss of value of games - if cancelled - if played curiosity seekers may actually drive up ratings. Life-time Season ticket holders???? IDK who all might claim to have been damaged.

Last edited by Cougarbib on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

scott715 wrote:A question needs to be asked here. If PSU wanted to schedule a game with us, should we take it? Should other schools schedule a game or even backout of a contract? Personally I don't want to play them now.
It poses a significant security risk. There will be an outpouring of hate directed at PSU, Paterno's family, and it may manifest itself as anything from vandalism to violent demonstrations at games.

I would imagine there have already been Big 10, PSU, and future opponent meetings discussing options and contingencies.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I see the pitch fork crew is out in force.

The only ones who deserve punishment are the wrongdoers. I understand the argument that the football team was a benefactor of the coverup, but they obviously aren't benefitting much now. Can you imagine the banners when Penn State comes rolling into town to play football? "Hey Penn State--Keep your tickle montsers to yourself." The football team is more than paying for whatever benefit the coverup gave them. I imagine this will hurt recruiting for some time.

What wrongful activities did the current football team engage in with respect to this Sandusky tragedy? None.

It's pretty easy to advocate killing a football team from thousands of miles away, which, by the way, would also kill the economy of the whole city that is essentially built on Penn State football. As someone said on Fox Sports yesterday, people don't show up to watch the biology class. I'm currently secure in my job, so what the heck. Burn the place to the ground.

The NCAA should have no involvement here. Lack of insititutional controls refers to NCAA violations. As far as I know, there is no NCAA rule about pedophilia, nor covering it up. The NCAA has wisely left criminal conduct in the hands of those who deal with criminal violations. The criminal and civil courts should have plenty of involvement here to right the wrongs as best they can.

When Baylor basketball got hit with sanctions after the murder of a player, it wasn't for the murder or the coach trying to cover it up. It was because the coach was also cheating in recruiting. The cheating is what brought about the sanctions.

If you are personally offended that Penn State still has a football team than boycott watching any of their games. But don't advocate to punish players or a city that had no direct involvement with these terrible tragedies.

P.S. Sandusky's wife should be the first to face criminal charges

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

snoscythe wrote:
jvquarterback wrote:The NCAA should not be the arbiter here so I agree with peoe saying that.

Civil judges can't order the termination of an entity--equivalent of the death penalty, so it's reserved for criminal cases.
I wasn't really talking about what the law allows I was talking about justice and restitution. To be honest I'm not sure about Pennsylvania law but there is no reason one of the victims couldn't require the dissolution of the football team (or the entire athletic dept) as part of any settlement.

The university will settle this out of court. If my child were abused by these guys I would instruct my lawyers to destroy the institution that assisted the man who molested my child. Penn St officials will have to consider whether it would be better off getting rid of the football team rather than having civil lawsuits that last another 7 years.

I would also find someone to make sure Mr Sandusky never again had the chemicals in his body giving him the urge to do what he did regardless of what any law said.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Cougarfan87 wrote:I see the pitch fork crew is out in force.

The only ones who deserve punishment are the wrongdoers. I understand the argument that the football team was a benefactor of the coverup, but they obviously aren't benefitting much now. Can you imagine the banners when Penn State comes rolling into town to play football? "Hey Penn State--Keep your tickle montsers to yourself." The football team is more than paying for whatever benefit the coverup gave them. I imagine this will hurt recruiting for some time.

What wrongful activities did the current football team engage in with respect to this Sandusky tragedy? None.
The same argument you're making here could have been made at SMU, USC, etc.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... penn-state" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;