Death Penalty for Penn State!

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Death Penalty for Penn State!

Post by imuakahuku »

BoiseBYU wrote:If there ever were an instance of a lack of institutional control as it relates to athletics, this is the case. Indeed, this is the case of an institution itself out of control. This is not some errant athletes getting tats. This is not a case of a rogue coach going too far. This is not an instance of a booster going over the top. This is not the case of an incompetent athletic director who does not know what his players or coaches are doing. This is a case of the Institution itself sacrificing children to protect its athletic program. Penn State needs to exit athletics for a period of time, I say five years, to regain its values and principles before it continues with its sports programs.
You got my vote. Boys suffered because they supposidly wanted to protect the school's rep. The dumb thing is that it is at least 100 times worse now. Had they acted immediately they would have upheld thier honor and been congratulated for taking action but now it is apparent that there was no honor. And I can only see one reason to protect the preditor-he was a very effective defensive coach and it would risk their ability to win if they got rid of him. This to me makes it even more atrocious.

Look like there is only one left standing as the only D-1 institution w/o a major infraction. Hmmm. I wonder what school that could be.

(Before anyone starts yelling rapegate etc please remember that as soon as the institution became aware of it they took action (even forcing the HC to quit).

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

dmcougar wrote:Is there any evidence that current board members new anything? If there is they should resign and be investigated.
However, most guilty parties have already left, Been terminated, or died.
Yes, this is tragic for those boys and their families and futures. And yes, they will have to learn to survive. And yes, there will be compensation financially in big numbers to try and put their lives back together.
But for some of you to just keep throwing crap at anybody and everybody is just blind rage and misplaced indignance; that or you are trying to prove to the world your morality.
When the rape happened by BYU football players, Should the whole BYU football program been shut down by the Board? Should it have been shut down or sanctioned by the NCAA?
Or at least proportionately so? If You say yes, then b that same standard you are also indirectly calling out the integrity of the Board of Trustees--The Brethren--Apostles and Prophets-- because certainly they should have Far more integrity than what would be expected by a secular, state run University. c'mon already.
DM, I respect your views. I disagree. This is not a story of players raping boys, as vile as that would be. This is not a story of the university's own employees raping boys as despicable as that is. This is a story of Penn State's Cecil Samuelson equivalent or Penn State's Lavell Edwards and Penn State's Bruce Hafen equivalent knowing of Sandusky and his predation and determining that covering up and hiding to protect the schools's football image was more important than the boys Sandusky was abusing. What happened at USC or BYU to use your example, or at OSU utterly palls into insignificance to what unfolded at PSU. Merely firing the President and saying some words of remorse does not reflect the harm caused over year's and years of coverup and abuse. I don't think I'm just raging, although you disagree. I'm feel though that if the school just moves on then it will not purge the stain or fairly account for that which it did.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Boise, of course the infractions represent a big gap. But wouldn't you also say that there exists a big gap in the moral representations, including the honor code, of BYU vs PSU? I'm not trying to place byu as holier than others, but the express level of morality at byu should warrant a higher standard. And yes, the BY University responded and did not cover it up. Players were expelled and a coach fired. Did that serve as adequate restitution for the young woman who was gang raped? Yes, these boys abused at PSU were minors. Yes, it was serial in nature. It was deplorable at every level that failed them.
But what of the guy who hired the coach at byu that allowed this? Is this the AD's fault? I don't think he took much of the blame. He was so inept at other aspects of the athletic dept, that he was pushed out the door. And what about the folks who interviewed Crowton and signed off? Should they be punished as well? That's the point. How Far does it have to go before the proverbial "pound of flesh" or multiple pounds of flesh get extracted and the organization moves forward? Everyone has been fired. Sndusky is locked up and will get his in prison. There are pending civil trials and maybe even criminal for the remaining admin. who conspired. PSU will shell out an estimated 100 million in damges,iirc, and maybe more. The PSU football program by default will face a decade long crippling without a formal death penalty. How much more do you want?
And I promise you there are worse offenses at BYU than gang rape that have just not come to light. You don't think admin has participated in a "non-disclosure to the public" policy? Not anywhere near the Sandusky crimes, but stuff--i'll leave it at that. Horrible stuff happens all over the world.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

I bet the $100 million that many are tossing out there (here and in the press) for Penn St's liability is low.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote:I bet the $100 million that many are tossing out there (here and in the press) for Penn St's liability is low.
Agreed. This is going to hurt psu in a bad way for a LONG time.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

dmcougar wrote:Boise, of course the infractions represent a big gap. But wouldn't you also say that there exists a big gap in the moral representations, including the honor code, of BYU vs PSU? I'm not trying to place byu as holier than others, but the express level of morality at byu should warrant a higher standard. And yes, the BY University responded and did not cover it up. Players were expelled and a coach fired. Did that serve as adequate restitution for the young woman who was gang raped? Yes, these boys abused at PSU were minors. Yes, it was serial in nature. It was deplorable at every level that failed them.
But what of the guy who hired the coach at byu that allowed this? Is this the AD's fault? I don't think he took much of the blame. He was so inept at other aspects of the athletic dept, that he was pushed out the door. And what about the folks who interviewed Crowton and signed off? Should they be punished as well? That's the point. How Far does it have to go before the proverbial "pound of flesh" or multiple pounds of flesh get extracted and the organization moves forward? Everyone has been fired. Sndusky is locked up and will get his in prison. There are pending civil trials and maybe even criminal for the remaining admin. who conspired. PSU will shell out an estimated 100 million in damges,iirc, and maybe more. The PSU football program by default will face a decade long crippling without a formal death penalty. How much more do you want?
And I promise you there are worse offenses at BYU than gang rape that have just not come to light. You don't think admin has participated in a "non-disclosure to the public" policy? Not anywhere near the Sandusky crimes, but stuff--i'll leave it at that. Horrible stuff happens all over the world.
What do I want? I think Penn State should exit athletics for a period of time, perhaps several years to get their morals, principles, procedures and values restored institutionally

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

I think that after several players transfer and opponents cancel games for security reasons - PSU should schedule a Nov game in Provo - 1 and done - so we can feel superior. I really do.

WINK.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I know you are joking bib, but that would almost be toxic to BYU, if Not slimy.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

If Penn State wont tear down the Joe Paterno statue, they should at least cover it up.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

SpiffCoug wrote:I bet the $100 million that many are tossing out there (here and in the press) for Penn St's liability is low.
I think it might be high. All of these "Does" would have to put their anonymity at risk to sue, which many don't want to do, and as plaintiffs the burden would be on them to testify and prove--they can't just piggyback the criminal case, they have to re-prove everything.

And then most of your damages are the so-called "soft" damages--pain and suffering and punitive damages. Emotional damage in PA is not compensable unless it manifests itself with physical symptoms. Juries might go with their anger and emotion and give some astronomical award, but it won't stand on appeal. Appellate courts have be extraordinarily conservative with soft damages, and the punitives in one case will be considered in the next, so the farther down the line you go, the less the courts will think PSU needs to be punished. I think the first plaintiff might get $10MM or so, but after that $5MM will be the tops, with $1MM likely being a ceiling. Even if there are 13 plaintiffs, I don't think PSU gets hit with more than $50MM total.