Death Penalty for PSU Means Death to NCAA's Credibility

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Death Penalty for PSU Means Death to NCAA's Credibility

Post by Mars »

Cougarfan87 wrote: If a coach/player breaks an NCAA rule, the NCAA should find a way to punish that coach/player (bans from coaching in NCAA, suspensions, fines, etc.). I find the principle that children should not be punished for the sins of their fathers to be a good one. They may suffer some after effects (losing a star player or coach), but they should not be directly punished (bowl bans and loss of future scholarships).
If I kill someone, and I go to jail, my wife and kids would likely lose their house since I lose my job and quit paying the mortgage. So, should I not go to jail for murder because that would hurt my innocent family?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Yes and you should not kill anyone.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

scott715 wrote:Yes and you should not kill anyone.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Mars wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote: If a coach/player breaks an NCAA rule, the NCAA should find a way to punish that coach/player (bans from coaching in NCAA, suspensions, fines, etc.). I find the principle that children should not be punished for the sins of their fathers to be a good one. They may suffer some after effects (losing a star player or coach), but they should not be directly punished (bowl bans and loss of future scholarships).
If I kill someone, and I go to jail, my wife and kids would likely lose their house since I lose my job and quit paying the mortgage. So, should I not go to jail for murder because that would hurt my innocent family?

False analogy, but it was a nice attempt. The way the NCAA is operating, if you kill someone, your kids go to jail, because you have moved on and are vacationing in Hawaii.

A more comparable analogy to what you are saying is exactly what I am arguing for. The team may suffer if they lose a star player or coach properly punished by the NCAA for cheating (just like a family suffers when they lose a father to prison), but the justice system isn't directly going after the family--In the case of the NCAA, it is directly going after the family (future generations that had nothing to do with the cheating).

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Cougarfan87 wrote: False analogy, but it was a nice attempt. The way the NCAA is operating, if you kill someone, your kids go to jail, because you have moved on and are vacationing in Hawaii.
My analogy is false, and Sandusky and JoPa are metaphorically "vacationing in Hawaii". Good to know. :lol:

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Mars wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote: False analogy, but it was a nice attempt. The way the NCAA is operating, if you kill someone, your kids go to jail, because you have moved on and are vacationing in Hawaii.
My analogy is false, and Sandusky and JoPa are metaphorically "vacationing in Hawaii". Good to know. :lol:
That was meant as an analogy for those who have gone on to the NFL. For all I know though, Sandusky may enjoy prison life. ;)

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Cougarfan87 wrote: For all I know though, Sandusky may enjoy prison life. ;)