Big East TV deal?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Big East TV deal?

Post by scott715 »

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although they will not begin official negotations–with ESPN on Sept. 1 for a two month exclusive period–on their new television deal, Big East officials are confident that any deal can get the league closer to ACC money–which is around the $17 million a year mark per team than the last offer that they turned down from ESPN which was closer to $11 million.

The reason for the boost? NBC, Fox and a few others are looking for college football inventory and the Big East is the only really major player available.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Big East TV deal?

Post by Lawboy »

NO way that they get $17M per school. And the fact that ESPN was offering $11M for football schools is crazy to me. I guess Rutgers and UCONN really up that amount.

IF it is realistically in the $15M market, BYU will have to consider. That is great money, it gives a league schedule to fall back on of 8 games (BSU, SDSU, possibly AFA, Houston, SMU, Maybe Memphis and Lousiville) Crossovers to Rutgers or UCONN (NYC Market).

I'd be happy with some East Coast bias on BYU's side for a change.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Who knows, they could get $5MM. Which would be 5x more than the MWC makes.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

Mars wrote:

Article claims that they already turned down ESPN's offer of $11M per team, but who knows if it is true. I have heard some BSU fans throwing the $13M number out there, which I thought was a joke, but it might not be that far off. Fox and NBC need content for their networks as they both have plans to enter the CFB market more, so they might have to overpay to get it.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Lawboy wrote:
Mars wrote:

Article claims that they already turned down ESPN's offer of $11M per team, but who knows if it is true. I have heard some BSU fans throwing the $13M number out there, which I thought was a joke, but it might not be that far off. Fox and NBC need content for their networks as they both have plans to enter the CFB market more, so they might have to overpay to get it.
If Fox or NBC does get the Big East that would kill any chance of BYU joining the conference. BYU will likely only join a conference that has ESPN as the primary television partner.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Lawboy wrote: Article claims that they already turned down ESPN's offer of $11M per team
Yup. But in my mind, their stock has gone DOWN since then, not up.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/colle ... 668?pgno=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In May 2011 the Big East turned down a deal with ESPN that reportedly would have paid between $11 and $13 million a team. The current deal is worth $4 million to each of the football schools.

Sources suggest that if NBC, which is desperate for sports inventory, signs a TV contract with the conference, it would be willing to pay the Big East football teams $10 milllion apiece and throw in an additional $4 million for the 16 basketball schools. One of the network’s ideas may be to run a full day of Big East football, along with Notre Dame home games, from noon to midnight Saturdays on either NBC or its still-growing cable channel.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

SDSU - I posted this previously - AD was quoted two months ago as saying that preliminary indications are that the media forecasts of $10-11M are very conservative and that when the contract is in place at the higher numbers that BEAST will make another run at BYU. It was also indicated that inclusion of BYU would by itself add $1M for each BEAST team.

BEAST will come calling again and the revenue numbers will be better if BYU wants in.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

$10 million isn't enough to get BYU in my opinion. Looks like the big least stock is falling.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/c ... -1.3927384" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More BE tv hype.