BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2012

Post by Cougarbib »

Mars wrote:
IF BYU wins their first two road games at Utah and at Boise State, we start the season 7-0, and end the season no worse than 11-2. That's a pretty decent "absolute" for ya, even if realistically anything is possible.

I just don't see us winning at Notre Dame though. Not only don't, but can't. Not yet.
I guess none of us could possibly know what we or those 4 teams or WSU or anyone else really has until a few games get teed up. Then you start to get an idea.

I am reminded of the year I absolutely could not imagine BYU beating Oklahoma essentially on the road. But then Oklahoma sucked and we won a close one. It seems they were ranked #3 or something like that. Luckily they sucked.

Then I am reminded of another year and being absolutely convinced BYU could not beat Texas on the road or TCU essentially on the road. Texas sucked, but we lost anyway. TCU was more human than normal, but beat us anyway.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
byucougar1
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byucougar1 »

Factors that lead me to believe we will have 10-2 record:
1. Leadership of Riley Nelson - undisputed unity of team - helped team have best summer workout effort since Bronco on board. He is a senior and has an uncanny connection with Hoffman, Apo and Falslev.
2. Revamped offense and conditioning of OL and a Commitment to running the ball. We have real talent and depth at RB this year compared last year when we couldn't generate much success against MS, UT and the Yewts.
3. Another year of experience for Doman, Dupaix etc. Max Hall is QB coach and Andrew George is helping TEs - very beneficial influence.
4. DL, LBs and DBs are very, very talented - may have best defense under Bronco to date.
5. Practicing under approach of NFL model - limiting injuries going into season - well conditioned players.

No comparison to last year - no drama - mentally, physically and emotionally better.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

There are FIVE games that worry me: WSU, Utah, Boise State, Notre Dame, and Georgia Tech. But all five games are winnable....and all five are very lose-able.

There are three other games that we should win, but that could sneak up on us if we are not prepared every week: Hawaii, Utah State, San Jose State.

KEYS TO VICTORY

Washington State
Best offense we will see in 2012. But worst defense of the five. Keys: pass rush, linebacker coverage, and balanced offense. We can shorten the game by running the ball well; this also allows the defense to rest. If we score, it will keep the crowd loud and make home field work for us. The fact that it will be Leach's first game in a couple of years will play to our favor.

Utah
Ball control, turnover margin, and rushing. 7 turnovers again, especially if in or near Utah's endzone will kill us (duh!). Utah's weakness last year (against everyone not named BYU) was putting the ball in the endzone. We won't completely shutout their offense, but BYU's defense has the ability to hold Utah to 20 points or fewer and can create some turnovers. White III will not rush for 150 yards and 2 TD's in three plays again.

Alisa and Nelson, along with Foote/Pritchard/Williams/Hine will get more than 11 yards rushing in 2012. 120 yards rushing and 250 yards in the air is very achievable, and if we limit takeaways and defensive scores, that will be enough for a win.

Boise State
Turnover margin, rushing D, and kicking game. In a short week, the advantage goes to Boise because of (1) coaching and scheming; and (2) home field (we MUST have some good BYU fan turnout!). BYU must stop Boise's running game and find a way to get to the new QB early and often. Although not Airraid level, Boise can scheme to make up for apparent shortcomings (new QB, new running back, replacing top receivers, replacing two OL and defensive line). But, this will be the third game of the season (for Boise) with a lot of new faces at Boise, so BYU actually should have the advantage on defense. I expect a close game that will come down to turnovers and the kicking game.

Notre Dame
Rushing D and rushing offense. Notre Dame will be good. But they are looking for a QB and must replace their best receiver (by a mile). We MUST stop their running game and force them to air it out. Teo is an amazing linebacker and will test our running game. Our running backs must move the ball to beat ND. And, look, BYU sneaks into the Irish' schedule after Miami and Stanford and before a road game at Oklahoma. BYU, on the other hand, is coming off a home game against Oregon State. I think BYU can sneak into South Bend with a win.

Georgia Tech
Assignment-sound defensive, solid tackling, and balanced offense. To beat the Flexbone, our linebackers will have to play really well. Luckily, we have a great unit and good depth. Our offense should be fine, as GA Tech has questions in the front seven and and a ho-hum secondary. I actually think this game is more winnable than the Washington State game. The key advantage for GA Tech is that this will be BYU's longest road trip, immediately following the trip to South Bend. But, I think the Notre Dame game actually prepares BYU for this road trip and BYU comes away with the win.

jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Post by jacksonman »

I like your optimism YNot. I actually agree with just about everything. My gut tells me the general keys a successful year as a whole are passion and momentum. If our guys play with passion and start dominating early on, we can build some momentum and let that roll over into our tough games.

Like last year, this years schedule doesn't scare me. If anything it is a perfect opportunity to make some noise on a national level (would prefer at least one more of the tough games to be at home). But every single game is winnable, and we are given a decent test at home to start the year, a second game to smooth out the wrinkles, a third game that is only 45 minutes away that is the key to the rest of our season.

We win these first three games, the momentum moving forward will be incredible. We lose a close one but dominate the first two games, we will still have some momentum. We get blown out again, season over! I hate putting some much empasis on one game, but we HAVE to be Utah if we want anything better than a regular ho hum season. I don't care about final rankings once they are outside of the top 20 (who cares if Utah finished a few spots below us?), and I don't really care about beating another mid-major team in a ho hum bowl game. This year I hope for more, and that is what sports is all about!

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

I don't think we will ever go undefeated under Bronco until we do.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

byutx wrote:I don't think we will ever go undefeated under Bronco until we do.
I don't see why that's a "Bronco" issue. please complete this phrase for me- "I think we will go undefeated under [name your coach of choice]."

I don't see BYU going undefeated under current schedules... until they do.

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

BroncoBot wrote:
I don't see why that's a "Bronco" issue. please complete this phrase for me- "I think we will go undefeated under [name your coach of choice]."

I don't think any team will go undefeated under any coach until they do.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

byutx wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:

If he still misses the point, repeat it again. Maybe third time is the charm.

Your simple statement, when understood - means

Anything is possible. Not assured. Not entitled to. Not even probable. But tell someone they cannot do something - and sometimes they do it anyway.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

byutx wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:

AAHHhhhhh... I see.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

This will be BYU's best year under Bronco. It is a talented roster (by BYU standards) and most of the best players are actually upper classmen!!!! We haven't had that since '09.