Something big is building down in Provo

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Something big is building down in Provo

Post by frdbtr »

If BYU averages 30 pts per game, we win 10+ games. That Deep shades of Blue Article I posted gives me hope that this is possible. If the defense is as good as I think it is, than we are in store for a very special season. It wouldn't be out of the realm of posibility to see a one loss season and if the chips fall our way undefeated.

Edit: for those of you who think utah is going to blow us off the field again because they are at home need to remember that home field has not really been much of an advantage in this rivalry since the 90's.

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by KingCoug »

frdbtr wrote:If BYU averages 30 pts per game, we win 10+ games.
I'd think how many points we allow also factors into that...

2005 Avg Pts Scored: 33.0
2006 Avg Pts Scored: 36.8
2007 Avg Pts Scored: 30.1
2008 Avg Pts Scored: 34.2
2009 Avg Pts Scored: 35.5
2010 Avg Pts Scored: 26.2
2011 Avg Pts Scored: 30.1

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

So how many losses before the unrealistic whiners start demanding that we fire the coaches. Well - other than Weber who has already been called out by same fans.

That is the problem with unrealistic expectations - hard fall.

If you ever aspire to accurately forecast reality -

Tip #1

Forecast an outcome that you really expect to happen that has an equal chance of being high or low is how it gets done. This year that number is 8. It really is. 9 Tops for regular season.

Tip #2

There is a big difference between unrealistic hopes and dreams vs unrealistic expectations.

You have been warned. The Bibster tried to save you from your self destruction.

If you EXPECT an 11 win season - quite frankly you haven't left your self any room for a pleasant surprise. Just plenty of room to ve disappointed.

BTW - I am hoping for an undefeated season - like every year - just not EXPECTING one.

Maybe the fans need to ask if they are expecting as much of themselves as they somehow think they are entitled to expect from the BYU Football team.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

KingCoug wrote:
frdbtr wrote:If BYU averages 30 pts per game, we win 10+ games.
I'd think how many points we allow also factors into that...

2005 Avg Pts Scored: 33.0
2006 Avg Pts Scored: 36.8
2007 Avg Pts Scored: 30.1
2008 Avg Pts Scored: 34.2
2009 Avg Pts Scored: 35.5
2010 Avg Pts Scored: 26.2
2011 Avg Pts Scored: 30.1
This defense will be at least as good as it was in 06 and 07 when we had 11 win seasons. It potentially will be much better than those 2 defenses which is the basis of my prediction.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Cougarbib2 wrote:So how many losses before the unrealistic whiners start demanding that we fire the coaches. Well - other than Weber who has already been called out by same fans.

Tip #1

Forecast an outcome that you really expect to happen that has an equal chance of being high or low is how it gets done. This year that number is 8. It really is. 9 Tops for regular season.

Tip #2

There is a big difference between unrealistic hopes and dreams vs unrealistic expectations.

If you EXPECT an 11 win season - quite frankly you haven't left your self any room for a pleasant surprise. Just plenty of room to ve disappointed.

BTW - I am hoping for an undefeated season - like every year - just not EXPECTING one.

Maybe the fans need to ask if they are expecting as much of themselves as they somehow think they are entitled to expect from the BYU Football team.

Define "unrealistic."

8-9 wins is certainly realistic.

10 wins is realistic but definitely on the optimistic side.

Now 11-12 wins could be said to be unrealistic/blue goggled.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Y 4 Ever wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:Reading Comprehension Error

I actually mentioned Detmer's senior season - Ty Detmer - defending Heisman Trophy winner Detmer. Remember him. I did not mention Doman's senior team. That team did not play this kind of schedule. BYU has almost never played this kind of schedule.

Get out of denial.

And just how recent we're those ND and BSU games. I did not say we never played them. I forgot to mention BSU is 3-0 over us and that those wins happened before BSU started going undefeated regularly and winning BCS Bowls.

And you bring up a loss - to prove our likelihood of winning.

I have stated many times that BYU will be competitive in every game. But the underdog in those 4. There are a couple of other games that could go the wrong way.

I may or may not get more giddy after I see what pops with WSU on the field and what the Big 4 look like in their first few weeks

Meanwhile, you might want to read recent reports about our kicker, Riley Nelson complaining that he hasn't had the same 5 OL in front of him in Spring or Fall due to nagging injuries - so when will they have the opportunity to Gel? Maybe read about TE nagging health issues. Lack of an experienced back-up QB, etc. ask U how that worked out for them last year. Hint: after beating BYU by 44 points, U finished the season ranked behind Y and managed to lose to Colorado, iirc.

But go ahead and assume that PAC wins are meaningless. U went 4-5 or something like that and did not play Oregon or Stanford. That U. The one that beat us 54-10 at home. That U.

It is just a bit premature to claim all of the pieces are in place and you are still in denial about how BYU has fared vs these very type of opponents. Va Tech is no better than the FSU team that kicked BYU's can twice - very recently when even more pieces were supposedly in place for the loss in Provo.

I misread detmer for domain. But detmer lost several key skill players to graduation for his senior year. The cupboard was not full. Not even close. And that fsu team he faced was much better than any team on our schedule this year.

Any one who watched the yewt game last year knows it was a fluke, and that it was at least partly due to division on the team caused by heaps.

You act like a Pac label makes a team better. Tis not true. We handled OSU easily on their turf last year, despite the fact that we were just starting to figure out who we were as a team. Do you really think that they are going to be leaps and bounds better this year? Are they going to improve more than we will? Do they have no ?? Is wsu going to be unstoppable in their first game with a new coach, and with the same players that haven't managed to accomplish anything over the past 4 years?

And what does VA techs comparison to fsu have to do with anything?

You can choose to ride into this year full of skepticism and pessimism if you want to. But I see plenty of reasons to be excited, and there's no way I let you rain on my parade.

When the rain comes - just remember - The Bibster did not send the rain - so vent your anger and frustration on yourself - and remember - The Bibster tried to save you from the anguish.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

KingCoug wrote:
Cougarbib2 wrote:So how many losses before the unrealistic whiners start demanding that we fire the coaches. Well - other than Weber who has already been called out by same fans.

Tip #1

Tip #2

Define "unrealistic."

8-9 wins is certainly realistic.

10 wins is realistic but definitely on the optimistic side.

Now 11-12 wins could be said to be unrealistic/blue goggled.
I was right with you 8-9 is realistic with an equal chance of better or worse.

Then you confused your self by calling 10 regular seasons both realistic and optimistic. Make up your mind. For me 10 is optimistic. 7 is a bit pessimistic. 11 is very optimistic. 6 is very pessimistic. They are all possible. Even 12-0 could happen - 2% chance.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Yes, we could win every single game, but every team will naturally play 2 great to perfect games, 2 horrible games, and the rest will be somewhat average with some flukes sprinkled about. What makes a team great is special players that make plays to balance out the bad, especially on the road. The '96 team had guys like K.O., Jenkins, Morgan, and McTyer that were game changers who willed us to win. Last year Van Noy won us the Ole Miss game despite our pathetic QB play.

I have full confidence in our D to give us a chance to win every game this year, but they too will have a couple rough games. Therefore, the question is, do we have any game changers on offense who will step up and lead us to an undefeated season? I honestly don't know. Hoffman is a star of sorts, but nobody else comes to mind who has the potential to take over a game on the road vs. Notre Dame and Boise if we're down 14 in the 4th quarter.

I still worry that we have no TE. It's nice to hear about MM getting bigger, but the dude had 1 TD last season. If we can't get a TE who can stretch the field then we will be another 24 pts/game team, which means we'll only get 9 or 10 wins this year.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

BYU needs to beat Utah (1 out of the 4 tough road games that include Boise State, Notre Dame, and Georgia Tech) and go undefeated against the weaker 8, plus win their bowl (if it's against the MWC) for fans to be happy this season. That's 10-3. Anything better would be phenomenal.

9 wins would be more than enough for most fanbases, but we cannot handle another rivalry game loss easily, or accept winning 0 of our 4 tough games either.

The potential problems? OL issues, DL lack of depth (run blocking and pass rushing), no proven TE, scary kicker/punting situation, QB interceptions, questionable OC talent, lack of preparation for physical play, etc.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:
BYU needs to beat Utah (1 out of the 4 tough road games that include Boise State, Notre Dame, and Georgia Tech) and go undefeated against the weaker 8, plus win their bowl (if it's against the MWC) for fans to be happy this season. That's 10-3. Anything better would be phenomenal.

9 wins would be more than enough for most fanbases, but we cannot handle another rivalry game loss easily, or accept winning 0 of our 4 tough games either.

The potential problems? OL issues, DL lack of depth (run blocking and pass rushing), no proven TE, scary kicker/punting situation, QB interceptions, questionable OC talent, lack of preparation for physical play, etc.
Excellent post. Totally agree.