I'm TELLING you guys

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: I'm TELLING you guys

Post by jonnylingo »

SpiffCoug wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
hawkwing wrote:Interesting that Riley Nelson, who saved the season last year, needs to redeem himself for last year, but Jake Heaps, who nearly destroyed the season, was merely mismanaged - put in a bad situation - and deserved our our pitty/respect.
I agree. If it weren't for Riley's grit/determination in that game, we would have had another utah style blow out against TCU with 28 points given up on botched punts. Riley had 3 turnovers in that game and TCU scored 3 points off of them. Riley was the reason we were in that game at the end with a chance to win it, he doesn't need to apologise for anything in that game. With a little coaching he won't make the same mistakes again that everyone points out as the reason this years offense is going to suck against good teams.
without his bondheaded mistakes and unforced erros we would have easily won as well.
This is false.
No it isn't and you know it. You have to acknowledge had he eliminated his mistake, we win even with the special teams blunders. credit has to be given to him for helping put us in the position to win but accountability also has to be given that he could have won us that game had he not made bone headed mistakes.

IowaCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by IowaCougar »

jonnylingo wrote:without his bondheaded mistakes and unforced erros we would have easily won as well.
It's OK. We all make bondheaded mistakes and erros sometimes.
:P

jonnylingo
All Star

Post by jonnylingo »

hawkwing wrote: Jake didn't win any big games either, never has in his whole career. If anyone has been mismanaged by the coaches and has reason to complain, it's Riley Nelson.
In my opinion neither Jake or Nelson have proven much to this point. I don't think Riley has proven anymore than Heaps has. This year will be his chance. Jake took over and beat up the crappy teams and won the bowl game in 2010, Nelson did the same thing in 2011. I am not that impressed with either of them. I just get annoyed with people letting the coaches off the hook so easily and so easily and quickly ripping apart young athletes like jake who simply did their best (whether it was up to your standard or not).
Last edited by jonnylingo on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonnylingo
All Star

Post by jonnylingo »

IowaCougar wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:without his bondheaded mistakes and unforced erros we would have easily won as well.
It's OK. We all make bondheaded mistakes and erros sometimes.
:P
Had to laugh at that one. I am usually typing and talking on the phone at the same time and dont value correcting errors as much as I should in these posts.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I for one will take a win at Utah State and a 10 win season over a loss and a non-bowl eligible team.

jonnylingo
All Star

Post by jonnylingo »

hawkwing wrote:I for one will take a win at Utah State and a 10 win season over a loss and a non-bowl eligible team.
I would to. Glad they made the switch. Even without the switch though I suspect byu would have been bowl eligible in 2011. There is no question however that Jake was losing confidence and fading with each game in 2012, whatever the reason was. He deserved to be benched.
Last edited by jonnylingo on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

jonnylingo wrote:
hawkwing wrote:I for one will take a win at Utah State and a 10 win season over a loss and a non-bowl eligible team.
I would to. Glad they made the switch.
So we agree that Riley Nelson has proved himself beyond what Jake Heaps did.

jonnylingo
All Star

Post by jonnylingo »

hawkwing wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
I would to. Glad they made the switch.
So we agree that Riley Nelson has proved himself beyond what Jake Heaps did.
Yes, in that ONE game, I would agree, but not necessarily overall. Their records seem pretty equal to me. Beat up crappy teams, lose to good teams.
Last edited by jonnylingo on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

jonnylingo wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
hawkwing wrote:Interesting that Riley Nelson, who saved the season last year, needs to redeem himself for last year, but Jake Heaps, who nearly destroyed the season, was merely mismanaged - put in a bad situation - and deserved our our pitty/respect.
I agree. If it weren't for Riley's grit/determination in that game, we would have had another utah style blow out against TCU with 28 points given up on botched punts. Riley had 3 turnovers in that game and TCU scored 3 points off of them. Riley was the reason we were in that game at the end with a chance to win it, he doesn't need to apologise for anything in that game. With a little coaching he won't make the same mistakes again that everyone points out as the reason this years offense is going to suck against good teams.
without his bondheaded mistakes and unforced erros we would have easily won as well.
This is false.
No it isn't and you know it. You have to acknowledge had he eliminated his mistake, we win even with the special teams blunders. credit has to be given to him for helping put us in the position to win but accountability also has to be given that he could have won us that game had he not made bone headed mistakes.
Ok, but you are now assuming that instead of those plays BYU would have scored on those drives instead. Riley didn't score on every other drive that game. There is every possibility special teams would have dropped the ball on those opportunities as well.

Riley put us in a position to make plays to win. The team didn't. TCU did (causing one fumble and tackling an eligible receiver in the endzone - which should have been called for PI - but wasn't).

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
jonnylingo
All Star

Post by jonnylingo »

SpiffCoug wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
This is false.
Ok, but you are now assuming that instead of those plays BYU would have scored on those drives instead. Riley didn't score on every other drive that game. There is every possibility special teams would have dropped the ball on those opportunities as well.

Riley put us in a position to make plays to win. The team didn't. TCU did (causing one fumble and tackling an eligible receiver in the endzone - which should have been called for PI - but wasn't).
How many turnovers did Riley have? If he eliminated those do you think BYU wins? if the answer is probably yes, the you would have to agree that even with special teams blowing it, he had a shot at winning that game. I might add a very good shot given where the ball was when he created the turnovers. ANyway, I don't want to rehash that. I would agre that special tems should take mos the blame but i would also agree that riley has a big share of the blame. this logic can be used for heaps and the utah game. heaps had it won. anae shot us in the foot and mahina missed his block on what should have been an easy field goal.