I'm TELLING you guys

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: I'm TELLING you guys

Post by Cougarbib »

byutx wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
byutx wrote: I won't dwell on the off the field stuff, suffice it to say I'll be happy when certain "leaders" graduate.
I think the off the field stuff has been hashed apart and no one really knows anything. Certainly lots of fiery opinions out there about how things have played out though. So when these "leaders" graduate and BYU goes back to wondering where to get leadership you'll be more excited?
byutx wrote: As far as certainty, I just don't think it's the kind of year where anything can happen. I don't think we have much of a chance to bust the BCS. Furthermore, I think we go into all but 1 or 2 games knowing the outcome. The games I think we will win I don't think I have much doubt about and the same goes for the ones I think we will lose.
Not much different from any other year for BYU football, or any college team really. There are gimme games and games you should win and a couple that will be toss ups. It sounds like you've just tempered expectations a little.
byutx wrote: I don't see us winning more than 9 regular season games. Could we win out? I admit it's possible. But I will believe we can beat Utah when I see it (mostly for psychological reasons and because our guys don't get up for it the way the yewts do) or a talented BCS program like ND on the road. My guess is we split GT/BSU.
I agree for the most part, but BYU definitely "got up" for the utah game last year. They were cleary the more determined team through the first half. It didn't help though.
byutx wrote: Again, I think I'm not as excited because I don't feel like (RN should be qb)it's a year where anything can happen and our reward will be a bowl in SoCal against the #2 or #3 MWC team. I guess AFA or Nevada would be decent but certainly not ideal opponents.
Again, how is this year any different than any other BYU season? I know you dislike RN and you were fully invested in JH, but are you really going to let that ruin your excitement for BYU football?
For this year, yes my excitement has been damaged. For me it has been a perfect storm of football schedule, conference afiliation, off the field mess and also being very busy at work. I'm just not as excited about the season. It is what it is.

To answer your question, I can't think of a year where I felt more confident that I knew the outcome going into the season. For instance, going into the season last year, IIRC, I wasn't sure of the outcome of Ole Miss, Texas, Utah and UCF. I was farily certain we would lose to TCU but still had my hopes up we could pull it off. I think the newness of Indy was also exciting.
Joe Glenn salute or not - this season could be a blessing in disguise for you. Less of a roller coaster ride emotionally. Less of a crash from the steep fall. Just watch those two games. Surely none of the others will be close and interesting and full of drama. And surely there won't be any amazing plays to watch or personal achievements to follow.

Again - I expect 8-9 wins including the Bowl game - just like you do. Sucks to be you, because I expect to have a lot of fun watching it unfold and hoping for some miracle to give BYU that coveted 10 win season.

I hope Riley Nelson has a great season and makes you wallow in every minute of it - but I agree - something more ordinary is more likely.

No Heisman or anything resembling that. Just a guy from a small town playing his heart out for the Blue and White as the team continues to bounce back from 2010 and the first half of 2011.

I am shocked that you were more excited about that period in history - any student of the game not blinded by hype could have seen that coming and it was often not fun to watch.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
BYULV
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BYULV »

Cougarbib wrote:...
No Heisman or anything resembling that. Just a guy from a small town playing his heart out for the Blue and White as the team continues to bounce back from 2010 and the first half of 2011.

I am shocked that you were more excited about that period in history - any student of the game not blinded by hype could have seen that coming and it was often not fun to watch.

I have to disagree with you here, "any student of the game" could not have seen last year coming. Every student of the game would have expected heaps to improve from freshman to sophomore year, or at least be the same. No one would have predicted or expected him to be worse or get worse as the season progressed, it isn't logical and not usual progression of a college QB. I don't recall a single post from last year predicting Heaps would play the way he did. If I missed those posts, I would love to see them. (posts before he played badly, not after the fact . . . There are too many of those already)

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BYULV wrote:

I have to disagree with you here, "any student of the game" could not have seen last year coming. Every student of the game would have expected heaps to improve from freshman to sophomore year, or at least be the same. No one would have predicted or expected him to be worse or get worse as the season progressed, it isn't logical and not usual progression of a college QB. I don't recall a single post from last year predicting Heaps would play the way he did. If I missed those posts, I would love to see them. (posts before he played badly, not after the fact . . . There are too many of those already)
Agree BYULV. Remember all the articles about how good QBs at BYU have been in their second year? Everyone was pumped about Heaps after Colorado St., Utah and UTEP.

The only thread I remember that even tried to temper expectations was the "Are we setting Heaps up to fail" thread started by sno I believe.

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

Cougarbib wrote:
byutx wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
byutx wrote: I won't dwell on the off the field stuff, suffice it to say I'll be happy when certain "leaders" graduate.
I think the off the field stuff has been hashed apart and no one really knows anything. Certainly lots of fiery opinions out there about how things have played out though. So when these "leaders" graduate and BYU goes back to wondering where to get leadership you'll be more excited?
byutx wrote: As far as certainty, I just don't think it's the kind of year where anything can happen. I don't think we have much of a chance to bust the BCS. Furthermore, I think we go into all but 1 or 2 games knowing the outcome. The games I think we will win I don't think I have much doubt about and the same goes for the ones I think we will lose.
Not much different from any other year for BYU football, or any college team really. There are gimme games and games you should win and a couple that will be toss ups. It sounds like you've just tempered expectations a little.
byutx wrote: I don't see us winning more than 9 regular season games. Could we win out? I admit it's possible. But I will believe we can beat Utah when I see it (mostly for psychological reasons and because our guys don't get up for it the way the yewts do) or a talented BCS program like ND on the road. My guess is we split GT/BSU.
I agree for the most part, but BYU definitely "got up" for the utah game last year. They were cleary the more determined team through the first half. It didn't help though.
byutx wrote: Again, I think I'm not as excited because I don't feel like (RN should be qb)it's a year where anything can happen and our reward will be a bowl in SoCal against the #2 or #3 MWC team. I guess AFA or Nevada would be decent but certainly not ideal opponents.
Again, how is this year any different than any other BYU season? I know you dislike RN and you were fully invested in JH, but are you really going to let that ruin your excitement for BYU football?
For this year, yes my excitement has been damaged. For me it has been a perfect storm of football schedule, conference afiliation, off the field mess and also being very busy at work. I'm just not as excited about the season. It is what it is.

To answer your question, I can't think of a year where I felt more confident that I knew the outcome going into the season. For instance, going into the season last year, IIRC, I wasn't sure of the outcome of Ole Miss, Texas, Utah and UCF. I was farily certain we would lose to TCU but still had my hopes up we could pull it off. I think the newness of Indy was also exciting.
Joe Glenn salute or not - this season could be a blessing in disguise for you. Less of a roller coaster ride emotionally. Less of a crash from the steep fall. Just watch those two games. Surely none of the others will be close and interesting and full of drama. And surely there won't be any amazing plays to watch or personal achievements to follow.

Again - I expect 8-9 wins including the Bowl game - just like you do. Sucks to be you, because I expect to have a lot of fun watching it unfold and hoping for some miracle to give BYU that coveted 10 win season.

I hope Riley Nelson has a great season and makes you wallow in every minute of it - but I agree - something more ordinary is more likely.

I'm interested to know why you think I wouldnt want to watch all 13 games. I will. Decked out all in blue with my game day themed tailgate food for every game. I will watch the prevalence show, listen to the call in show after the games just like every year. I will cheer the highs and be bummed at the lows. Just maybe not as bummed as I would've been in years past

And as for who is for blame at hype from the past, look no further than coach mendenhall who said last years team at the end Of camp was the most prepared team he had ever had at that juncture in the year. If you recall, they ended camp quite a bit early, including a couple extra days off. But perhaps you mean to say that bronco and Brandon doman aren't students of the game.

Last edited by byutx on Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

byutx
All-American

Post by byutx »

BYULV wrote:

Agreed LV.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

byutx wrote:I'm interested to know why you think I wouldnt want to watch all 13 games. I will. Decked out all in blue with my game day themed tailgate food for every game. I will watch the prevalence show, listen to the call in show after the games just like every year. I will cheer the highs and be bummed at the lows. Just maybe not as bummed as I would've been in years past

And as for who is for blame at hype from the past, look no further than coach mendenhall who said last years team at the end Of camp was the most prepared team he had ever had at that juncture in the year. If you recall, they ended camp quite a bit early, including a couple extra days off. But perhaps you mean to say that bronco and Brandon doman aren't students of the game.

Seriously folks, it is time to get over the "most prepared" statement and quit making stuff up about what happened. Bronco gave the team 1 practice off after making that statement and the coaches didn't take that time off, they started creating their game plan. They took 1 practice off, not a couple of days, and then started into game prep week the very next practice. It is unbeleivable to me how fans can make stuff up about what bronco does and/or says in order to further their own agenda. The fact is, Heaps looked like a world beater in practice and then sucked when he had to take the green jersey off. I think the coaches were as surprised as the fans when they saw the differences between the practice and the game day Heaps. You can't blame them for what happened last year even though I tried to put blame on Brandon Doman since he was a new ocoordinator. They called the same plays for Nelson once he came into the game and he made plays while heaps did not.

IowaCougar
Junior

Post by IowaCougar »

Mark 9:24 :)

IowaCougar
Junior

Post by IowaCougar »

I'm starting in teaching early-morning Seminary next week. Those weeknight games are going to be rough!

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

BroncoBot wrote:If there ever was a tike to catch BSU it's this year. Lost the best QB they've had, lost a lot of skill players, lost a good defense. BYU has an excellent defense to confound the new QB, has the offense to put up points against a untested defense, and BSU's streak at home was broken last year. BSU has more questions to answer this year. I fully expect BYU to beat them.
This is exactly what i though last year about tcu. we were close on that one. hopefully we can beat bsu this year.
Last edited by jonnylingo on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

jonnylingo wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:If there ever was a tike to catch BSU it's this year. Lost the best QB they've had, lost a lot of skill players, lost a good defense. BYU has an excellent defense to confound the new QB, has the offense to put up points against a untested defense, and BSU's streak at home was broken last year. BSU has more questions to answer this year. I fully expect BYU to beat them.
This is exactly what i though last year about tcu.
And if we hadn't have had 4 botched punts, it would have been a good assumption.