Difficulties getting into the Endzone: 2011 vs 2012

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Difficulties getting into the Endzone: 2011 vs 2012

Post by Cougs_Rule »

I don't remember the stats from last year and we only have one game worth of data this year, but I wonder if there is a connection between struggles vs WSU and last year.
Thoughts?

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Difficulties getting into the Endzone: 2011 vs 2012

Post by BroncoBot »

Biggest difference- Nearly every drive ended with an opportunity to score vs WSU. That was NOT the case early in 2011 when the offense was really struggling (UT, Ole Miss, Utah, Central Florida, early USU come to mind). It would be nice to get over the hump and score TDs on a more consistent basis though.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BYU scored three TDs, and attempted four FGs (missing 1) against Washington St to begin 2012. Against Ole Miss to begin 2011, BYU attempted 1 FG and scored one offensive TD.

The difference in this was the passing efficiency. In the Ole Miss game, we had 91 yards rushing on 31 carries (2.9 ypc). This year we had 123 yards on 41 carries (3.0 ypc). But our PER was nearly 50 points higher.

With a more efficient passing game, you score more and win more. When your team's PER is in the tank, you struggle to score and win.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

We didn't have a problem getting into the endzone in the first half. This year will be different. We also haven't shown all our cards.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

I want to see us play smash mouth football near the endzone with Zed leading the way for Pritchard or Alisa. No more of this QB option crap

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

beauso79 wrote:I want to see us play smash mouth football near the endzone with Zed leading the way for Pritchard or Alisa. No more of this QB option crap

This is the point. And I probably should have titled this Bluezone offense.
W have struggled more than we should for the last three years and I mostly attribute it to the lack of dominance on the Olne. Zed even got put on his head this past week. He can't do it all.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

dmcougar wrote:
beauso79 wrote:I want to see us play smash mouth football near the endzone with Zed leading the way for Pritchard or Alisa. No more of this QB option crap

This is the point. And I probably should have titled this Bluezone offense.
W have struggled more than we should for the last three years and I mostly attribute it to the lack of dominance on the Olne. Zed even got put on his head this past week. He can't do it all.
I'd love to see smashmouth work out, but it seems like that's what the team went with in the 2nd half. And they got stuffed. I agree about the o'line dominance. It just isn't quite there.

jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Post by jacksonman »

Do you remember how we use to score with less than 10 yards to go? Tight end in motion, play action, tight ends and running back running out/corner routes. Where has this play gone? We tried smash mouth up the gut and got smashed! We need to play action, shotgun, roll the qb out, halfback pitch to hill with option to throw, etc. Until we re establish the threat of throwing it in from this distance, opposing teams will put 6 or 7 in the box and rush 5 or 6. They will be looking to put Riley on the injured list. We need to establish the quick outs and corners to our tall tight ends and receivers. Why have 6'5" receivers if we never throw the quick high outs or jump balls?!

This is the area where I feel doman has really been lacking and is utmost priority to improve.

beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

What about using Friel to clear the way? Watching him run over that WSU DB near the endzone was pretty funny

IowaCougar
Junior

Post by IowaCougar »

I honestly think Bronco was keeping it very close to the vest in the second half. He wanted to see what the Cougars could do running it up the middle, and was quite content to kick field goals if necessary, rather than give other teams film material to prepare for upcoming games. When it's more important to score touchdowns, there will be more creativity in the play calling.