Agree with Vai on this One

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Agree with Vai on this One

Post by Gunk »

I agree with Vai on this: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7656 ... .html?pg=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The hate ruins the rivalry for me and it's no reason to start acting like an bigot. Trying to remember the player Holland mentions in his talk. Was it Bobick?

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Agree with Vai on this One

Post by SpiffCoug »

One team embraced the hate. One fan based embraced the hate. One program used the hate to get back into the rivalry. And one didn't.

There is and has been way too much hate in this rivalry (although, I think it's been greatly subdued this year) and it wasn't BYU that promulgated the hate.

I blame three entities for the hate in the rivalry: Ron McBride, Urban Meyer and the local talk radio triumvirate of David James, Patrick Kinihan and Gordon Monson.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
IowaCougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by IowaCougar »

We all have the ability to choose how to respond to what we see and hear. I hope I've matured enough to "count to 10". I've found myself avoiding facebook lately because I find myself getting angry at some of the posts, and I'm tempted to respond harshly. Sometimes it's better to flee the temptation. If we find ourselves at the point of our anger being inflamed by what we're reading or hearing, it's time to stop reading for a while.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

I'm pretty sure it was Chris Burgess but I'm not positive. I thought he eventually left (was it Duke) and came to the U and the fans were relentless when we played. I'm not sure how it would have been in the Delta Center though. (we should be all cheering Burgess now triggering the events that brought Clevland and Dave Rose to town)

I think Urban Meyer caused the hate as much as anyone. Roni Mac and La'vell did such a good job and bridging the divide I don't see it coming from him and though Kyle does nothing to temper it I don't hear about him encouraging it the way Meyer did. It might be just because Utah became so competitve with Meyer but he seemed to have really embraced the hate.

Monson would be 2nd for me. That guys career is based on making people angry.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Another article by Vai that further proves to me that he has changed alegence and is now favoring the utes. How in the world does the game against OK state in basketball prove that the rivalry is to hate filled. I will agree with Elder Holland that the BYU fans in that basketball game were an embarrassment to the institution and certainly that was not an isolated incident when it comes to some BYU fans being an embarrasment to the institution but the BYU/utah rivalry is vitriolic for the most part because of utah fans. BYU gets the penalty for the reaction to the action in most cases. It irritates me that BYU is getting blamed for the hate in the rivalry by the media. The only incident where the BYU fan instigated the action was with the ute cheerleader and that idiot got his just due from the cheerleader himself. The incident with kwit's wife was instigated by the utes, it was widely published after the fact.

I have a friend at work that was planning on going to the BYU game last year in Provo, he asked me how it would be. He was afraid that he would get abused by the fans. I assured him that he would be treated with complete respect unless he started something. He came back from that game (the 54-10 blowout mind you) and had nothing but good to say about BYU fans and how respectful they were to him. How many BYU fans who have attended the game in SLC can say the same about ute fans. Vai needs to get his facts straight.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Stirfry wrote:I'm pretty sure it was Chris Burgess but I'm not positive. I thought he eventually left (was it Duke) and came to the U and the fans were relentless when we played. I'm not sure how it would have been in the Delta Center though. (we should be all cheering Burgess now triggering the events that brought Clevland and Dave Rose to town)

I think Urban Meyer caused the hate as much as anyone. Roni Mac and La'vell did such a good job and bridging the divide I don't see it coming from him and though Kyle does nothing to temper it I don't hear about him encouraging it the way Meyer did. It might be just because Utah became so competitve with Meyer but he seemed to have really embraced the hate.

Monson would be 2nd for me. That guys career is based on making people angry.
the player that elder holland was referring to was a guard who transferred from BYU to Oklahoma state. when we played ok state in basketball in the Delta center that guard was starting for their team and got verbally abused by the "classy" BYU fans in the stands all game long. It was an embarrasment. I don't remember the name of the player.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

I think your right.

Not one of our better moments

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
bostoncoug
BLUEshirt

Post by bostoncoug »

It was Daniel Bobik.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

According to the article Vai had the opportunity to speak to the Ute team this year, but hasn't been free to speak to the BYU team.... Yeah... I'll listen to him - no agenda there :roll:

tripwire
Sophomore

Post by tripwire »

To claim that all the hate in this rivalry is the fault of Utah, or the media is ridiculous. There has been plenty of misbehavior on both sides over the years. Need I remind you about Max Hall's "I hate everything about them" comments? But I suppose that wasn't his fault right? Because he was somehow justified in saying what he said by the Utes themselves?
I don't buy it.
People need to chill and remember that it's just sports.When people make a football game into a personal thing against the opposite team then it's no longer fun.
As much as I want to beat the Utes I don't hold anything personal against any of them, and I don't hate them.