Agree with Vai on this One

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Agree with Vai on this One

Post by Schmoe »

I see one fan base hurling insults and unkind words, occasionally getting into fights, and with a general dislike for the other side. I see another fan base hurling bottles, cups, beer, religious bigotry, and blowup dolls that are supposed effigies of the other side's mom, also getting into fights, and with a general disdain and hate for the other side.

Sure, no side is unblemished, but one side has taken things further than the other.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Schmoe wrote:I see one fan base hurling insults and unkind words, occasionally getting into fights, and with a general dislike for the other side. I see another fan base hurling bottles, cups, beer, religious bigotry, and blowup dolls that are supposed effigies of the other side's mom, also getting into fights, and with a general disdain and hate for the other side.

Sure, no side is unblemished, but one side has taken things further than the other.
Thank you! Ditto! All things are not equal. utes will always take it to one or more levels of severe despicable behavior than BYU.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

dmcougar wrote:
Schmoe wrote:I see one fan base hurling insults and unkind words, occasionally getting into fights, and with a general dislike for the other side. I see another fan base hurling bottles, cups, beer, religious bigotry, and blowup dolls that are supposed effigies of the other side's mom, also getting into fights, and with a general disdain and hate for the other side.

Thank you! Ditto! All things are not equal. utes will always take it to one or more levels of severe despicable behavior than BYU.
And that isn't to excuse the BYU side of things, but to say "well, both sides do it, so they're both equally to blame" is severely oversimplifying things.

tripwire
Sophomore

Post by tripwire »

As a BYU fan who is not Mormon I find the constant jabs at non-Mormon Utah fans to be in very bad taste. Why does the religion of the fans even need to be brought into it? There are plenty of BYU fans like me out there who cheer for the Cougars while at the same time not sharing your religious beliefs, many of us even drink alcohol. (As if that is some sort of terrible evil)
There also seems to be an underlying implication that the only real Mormons are the ones who cheer for BYU, that or the only reason Mormons go to Utah is because they aren't smart enough or righteous enough to go to BYU. Then again, maybe I am reading more into what you are saying than you mean.
You claim religious bigotry from the Utes while at the same time assuming that every Ute fan must be an anti-mormon who hates the church. First of all, it simply isn't true, the majority of fans on both sides are Mormon, so when you disparage the religion of Ute fans you are generally disparaging your own coreligionists.
Yes there are Ute fans who act in terrible ways, even towards your religion, I don't doubt that and I've seen it myself. I find that behavior annoying, callous, and distasteful.
The religious element of this rivalry is interesting because it is one of the reasons the rivalry is so heated, while at the same time I wish people would just leave religion out of it.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

tripwire wrote:As a BYU fan who is not Mormon I find the constant jabs at non-Mormon Utah fans to be in very bad taste. Why does the religion of the fans even need to be brought into it? There are plenty of BYU fans like me out there who cheer for the Cougars while at the same time not sharing your religious beliefs, many of us even drink alcohol. (As if that is some sort of terrible evil)
There also seems to be an underlying implication that the only real Mormons are the ones who cheer for BYU, that or the only reason Mormons go to Utah is because they aren't smart enough or righteous enough to go to BYU. Then again, maybe I am reading more into what you are saying than you mean.
You claim religious bigotry from the Utes while at the same time assuming that every Ute fan must be an anti-mormon who hates the church. First of all, it simply isn't true, the majority of fans on both sides are Mormon, so when you disparage the religion of Ute fans you are generally disparaging your own coreligionists.
Yes there are Ute fans who act in terrible ways, even towards your religion, I don't doubt that and I've seen it myself. I find that behavior annoying, callous, and distasteful.
The religious element of this rivalry is interesting because it is one of the reasons the rivalry is so heated, while at the same time I wish people would just leave religion out of it.
Is this directed at me? Did I say that ALL fans on either side are one way or another? Hell no! I said that these are the common problems I see from each side. I don't think I've ever said anything about Ute fans being heathens or otherwise bad because they're not members of the LDS church, and I rarely, if ever, have seen it from any BYU fans (perhaps you can direct me to where this is so rampant). While on the other side I see pretty constant jabs about religion. I haven't even said "Oh no, they drink!" but when fans of any school get sloppy drunk and act in a horrible manner, I don't like it, and again, for obvious reasons, this happens much more often with one side of the rivalry than the other.

tripwire
Sophomore

Post by tripwire »

It wasn't directed at anyone in particular. Just some of my observations from participating on this board for the last few years.
I am not really interested in keeping score about which side acts worse. If you want I'll even grant that Utah fans are worse, perhaps they are.
I just wish the vitriolic hate from both sides, especially on the religion issue, would subside.

tripwire
Sophomore

Post by tripwire »

I'll add that I actually think most fans, on both sides, are fine and keep the whole thing in perspective. We are really talking about a vocal minority.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

tripwire wrote:I'll add that I actually think most fans, on both sides, are fine and keep the whole thing in perspective. We are really talking about a vocal minority.
I think we'll see this happen as the teams stop playing each other regularly. As I noted, this year has already seen a significant decline in the vitriolic rhetoric.

I haven't heard local media types trying to get callers to call in and insult each other. Both programs limited their players' access to the local media who go fishing for controversy.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

tripwire wrote:As a BYU fan who is not Mormon I find the constant jabs at non-Mormon Utah fans to be in very bad taste. Why does the religion of the fans even need to be brought into it? There are plenty of BYU fans like me out there who cheer for the Cougars while at the same time not sharing your religious beliefs, many of us even drink alcohol. (As if that is some sort of terrible evil)
As long as they behave themselves, and don't use the rivalry simply to bash the dominant religion in the state, I don't have a problem with the non-Mormon Ute fans. In fact, it makes sense that they would root for Utah over BYU. It's why my non-Mormon Ute friends get a pass. But there are non-Mormon Ute fans who do abuse the rivalry that way and that's where the vitriol originated.

But, in my opinion, even they aren't the real problem. The real problem are the Mormon Ute fans who turn a blind eye to this, minimize it, downplay it, excuse it, or outright deny it. I don't care if a Mormon Ute fan attends church every week, does his home teaching, etc. In my book, he's guilty by association for rooting for the same team and institution the anti-Mormon Ute fans are.

The fact is, the U of U of today is not like the U of U of years ago. The one that was very much like BYU and which many church leaders attended. Today, the U of U is just another state-run school where beer is king, where homosexuality and progressive liberalism is celebrated, and so on. The U of U today is very much the antithesis of BYU.

Why wouldn't a member of the Church root for BYU? That's the real question. BYU is owned and run by the Church. It's virtually synonymous with the Church in most people's minds. So, for a member to root for the U over the Y, is just plain disloyal in my opinion. And I really don't care who I offend by saying it. It's the truth. Let the jack Mormons and ex Mormons root for the U.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

I don't hate the U at all. Don't even dislike them. My grandpa started as fullback for hte U for 3 years and played with Elder Worthlin there.

But, like playing your brother in a game of 1 on 1 in the back yard, I want to win BADLY. I want those bragging rights. I want to lord over him when I win. Rub it in his face--all in good fun of course, because he;d do teh same to me.

What I hate about the rivalry is the anti-LDS sentiment, and that comes from one side and one side only. It is bitterness and vile. Many in this state turn it into a referendum game on the LDS faith, and I am sorry, but I hate that. Perhaps it is partially fair game though because of how the LDS Church is using the football program as a missionary tool, so in a way, it is an extension of the church in that way. SO I guess I get it, I just don't like it.

As to Vai's comments, he needs to just shut up about Bronco. It is clear that he still loves BYU and his time there, He sent kids there. BUt he clearly has an axe to grind with Bronco, and it is immature and juvenile. Whit is happy to stroke Vai's ego and sniff his jock while Bronco is just not that type of guy. Vai needs to check his own self on this one, because his pride is giving him away. Vai is not the only one either. Hans Olson, Jason Buck, and Ofahangaue also are upset due to coaching snubs. It is pettiness.