Poll: Who should be the starting QB?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Who should be the starting QB?

Nelson
No votes
Hill
64%
Lark
36%

Total votes: 42

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Poll: Who should be the starting QB?

Post by KingCoug »

Pick one...

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
golong
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Poll: Who should be the starting QB?

Post by golong »

Nelson needs to heal, sit him for the Hawaii game. Use this week to develop the passing game again, and give Hill and the receivers confidence again. If Hill needs to be subbed, put in Lark, but Nelson sits until he has healed.

There is little doubt Hill has a much greater upside than Nelson. Nelson, for all his grit and toughness is a poor passer, has a weak arm, and can't consistently give BYU 300 yards passing. BYU has some very tough games coming up, and the D will not always be able to throw a shutout. Hill has a stronger arm, if he throws for 400 yards against Hawaii and 5 TDs, Nelson may never see the field again--but so what? BYU isn't about Reilly Nelson, it's about good football and winning games; if Hill does that, then he plays.

Isola
Sophomore

Post by Isola »

I think you go with the safe play. 2/3 of the year is still ahead of us so it is too early to just think of next year.

Start Lark, give Hill some plays and let him throw more when he is in the game, but let Lark handle the game. See what he can do and don't overwhelm Hill prematurely.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

From what the media has been saying, Hill and Lark are both really close in how they handle the offense in practice so IMO start the younger guy. I feel sorry for Lark but his time has passed. If he were much better than hill in practice he would get my vote.

cougarnerd
Sophomore

Post by cougarnerd »

Lark is a senior. He's been sitting, watching, and practicing for a long time. Think about LaVell Edward's quarterback factory...he had a bunch of qb's all in a row, they'd sit for two years, learn the program, and then start for two years and do well--except for Detmer, who played a lot from very early on.

Anyway, he should be able to play well. He's got a strong arm, and seems like the best option we have for a drop-back passer. I'm not saying that Hill isn't good, but I think that Lark should be getting some snaps. If Hill plays backup duty until Nelson's healthy and then BYU couaches determine who is best then, he should be getting some experience now, and still be getting time when Nelson comes back.

LOYAL STRONG & TRUE
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I would agree all the way up to the point where the younger guy is as good or better than the older guy. Then you go with the younger guy. Paying your dues is only valid if you are the best guy left standing when everyone else around you graduates or is injured.

NCPUMA
Recruit

Post by NCPUMA »

The "pay your dues" mentality can go too far. IMO, there isn't even a question. There is no doubt now that Hill has the kind of combination of talents (true explosiveness AND an arm) that we have rarely if ever seen at BYU. He gives us the best chance to win now, not to mention we have to prepare for the gauntlet that is next year's schedule. Play HIll.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Play the guy who gives us the best chance to win. The future will work itself out.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Truly good players don't get ruined if they play too early. One of the biggest myths of football in my opinion. Anyone who was "ruined" by playing too early would have sucked when they did get to play.

There is a very good chance that Heaps is who he was his first two years at BYU. If there is any improvement, would be due to coaching, not sitting out.

stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

Oh, and my pick was Hill...although anyone but Riley is my true choice.