Sometimes the truth hurts

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
tmoney35
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Sometimes the truth hurts

Post by tmoney35 »

The overarching theme of the article IMO opinion is, "this is as good as it's going to get, so quit your whining and deal with it."

I don't believe that for two reasons:

1) This year's Defense with the Hall/Pitta/Collie/Unga offense is BCS bowl bound while being a contender for a national championship.

In the space of 5 years, we've had one or the other, so it's not unfathomable to think that both could come together eventually.

2) If Davies had kept it in his pants, I believe we would've had a VERY good shot at the National Championship. We definitely would've beaten Florida, and considering the downright awful play of the teams from the elite 8 on that year, we would've had just as good a shot as anyone else.

Right now we've got the #9 ranked recruiting class in the country, with a shot at Jabari. With our recent results, plus our promising future, it is not at all unseasonable to expect deep tourney runs in the foreseeable future.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I'm a firm believer in striving for perfection and being the best.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

That article was a piece of horse $*!+. Seriuosly.

I get that BYU needs to run a clean program. Squeaky clean. I also get that the brethren like the positive exposure that BYU sports can bring to the Church. It adds a sense of normalcy to our faith. We like sports too, we compete, we do it with our standards in place.

However, after that, it went off the rails. And it is about winning. And that means getting the best player to BYU, starting with the best LDS players. So had BYU got Te'o to come, Lotuleilei, Sua Filo, kept Heaps, etc and many others, we become elite. BYU's issue is not that our LDS pool is too small, it is that of the LDS pool, we often fail to get the best of them to BYU. And it is clear that just getting that extra 2-3 eleite players per class will make all the difference in the world. Add depths, but adds elite playmakers.

As to Te'o, is spite of what happened on his visit, we should have locked him up. And as to Star, we all like to talk about how we had him but he was a non-qualifier, be we do not like to point to teh fact that we never even tried to recruit him out of Snow and left him to Utah, which is dumb. Awful recruiting blunder by BRonco's staff.

Sometimes I think Bronco makes it tougher for himself than he needs to. We need to get the best LDS talent, get them here, then help them stay in school. If they can;t, it is on them, but at least we tried. Which is better than not getting them and not having the chance to even try.

THe LDS talent pool is growing. Quickly. And we can add non-LDS kids who can play that will live the HC while on Campus. It can be done. But it has to start with recruiting, and that means getting the best LDS kids to come to BYU, not go to Utah, ND, UCLA, Bama or wherever. There are loads of LDS plaers in teh NFL. The sad truth is that most of them were placed there by schools other than BYU, and that has to change.
Last edited by Lawboy on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

northerncougar
Junior

Post by northerncougar »

I completely reject the premise of the article. To say that the BOT doesn't care about winning and that Bronco can't win with the restrictions we have is completely false.

The problem isn't the two losses we have, it is the way and to whom we lost.

tww
Sophomore

Post by tww »

ABYUFAN wrote:From the article...
"BYU fans need to decide what they want. It is no longer possible for BYU’s football program to be both a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and a consistent national championship contender. I wish it were."
:bug: :gross: :skeptic:

What the heck does this mean? BYU has never been a “Consistent “ national championship contender if “consistent” means having a legitimate shot at the national championship year after year. If, however, he means winning consistently and occasionally, with an insane amount of luck, having a shot at a national championship (which is how we got our first one) we are exactly that
Bengel: Please see this ^ in response to your first assertion that it wasn't in the article.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

mizzoucoug wrote:Who is calling for Bronco's head? I've seen very little of this. A lot of us think he just needs to be an actual head coach and coach both sides of the ball. We'd be crazy to let Bronco go. Weber is another story.
You must not listen to local sports radio in Utah or never frequent any other BYU message boards. It is all over the place and is quite ridiculous. In fact, I have seen several on this message board call for Bronco to be replaced.

I think it started with calling for Weber's head,...then Doman's...and it evolved into Bronco's.

I watched some of the Washington-Stanford game last night. It was very similar to the Boise St. game. Not a lot of offense and some great defensive play. There was even a pick-6 in the second half by one of Stanford's defensive linemen. It would be interesting to see what the Stanford message board looks like today. My hunch is that the fans are disappointed and critical, they are probably reminiscing about Andrew Luck and Jim Harbaugh, but I highly doubt anyone is calling for David Shaw's head. (Could be wrong).

I have become very dissatisfied with many BYU fans. The hatred and unsportsmanlike attitude and statements are becoming absurd and embarrassing. I was at the BYU-St. Mary's basketball game last year. The referees did make some bad calls. But the entire arena was booing the refs. I'm talking as loud as crowd at the Boise St. game last week, but all booing the refs. It was a sad site. I was embarrassed. And then I looked over and saw Elder Bednar in the stands. He wasn't booing. I was really embarrassed to be a BYU fan that night.

Either BYU fans are taking their sports way too seriously or there is a real problem in Utah and BYU fans really are checking their religion at the door. I really hope Bronco or Nelson or BYU does not get booed tonight. Talk about classlessness. Talk about everything that BYU does not represent.

I love what Bronco has done for BYU. I'm glad that football is fifth. Bronco is a great football coach and an even more excellent example and representative of what BYU stands for. I love that! BYU definitely represents more than sports. Don't get me wrong, I live and die with BYU football. Wins and losses actually affect my life and my mood for extended periods of time. But if it was only about football, and not about what BYU represents as well, I would probably be better off being a fan of another team.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I think it is pretty safe to say that everyone here cares about BYU a lot. That manifests itself in different forms for different people.

I also think it is safe to say that most people here are appreciative of Bronco as a Head Coach, but can still see room for improvement to get to that next level.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
tww
Sophomore

Post by tww »

Cougarfan87 wrote:I think it is pretty safe to say that everyone here cares about BYU a lot. That manifests itself in different forms for different people.

I also think it is safe to say that most people here are appreciative of Bronco as a Head Coach, but can still see room for improvement to get to that next level.

"Quest for perfection." "Execute at a higher level." "The best is yet to come."

I actually believe in those quotes and the guy that said them. However, I do get a little confused when coaches appear to temporarily forget that they set them as a criteria for the program or get perturbed when others enquire about shortcomings or plans to reach those standards.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Pffff. The current problems and debates around the program aside, if you're familiar with Amicone's articles, you take what he writes with a grain of salt.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

YNOT, the Standford fans are not calling for Shaws head today because his team just won a big game last week against USC! When was Bronco's last big win? And no im not calling for Broncos job just pointing out the facts.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image