Sometimes the truth hurts

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Sometimes the truth hurts

Post by frdbtr »

Good article, right on the money

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=223008 ... -justified" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tww
Sophomore

Re: Sometimes the truth hurts

Post by tww »

Sorry but I don't agree with much of anything this guy says.

Representing the church does not preclude you from being the best or winning big games.
I don't believe that Utah or Boise state have superior talent.
I don't think that fan expectation of the coaches at BYU is all that much different from fans expectations at any program that is used to winning.
I don't think that just because fans expect of a coach making a million dollars a year to win every game is a reason for him to move on.
I don't think that an honor code and winning are mutually exclusive.
I don't think that innovation in football is a thing of the past.
I don't think that BYU's future is limited to to a weak talent and shallow roster.
I don't think that losing fulfills the mission of BYU football even if it is fifthI don't think fan expectations are outrageous.
I don't think that it is reasonable that a ten win season and poinsetta bowl should be "good enough."
I think Mendenhall has done well but I don't think he has "over achieved."
I think fans do have a right to ask for more.

Anyway, you get the picture.

I think this article is insulting and shameful crap.

In the movie "The pursuit of happiness" Will Smith tells his son to give up basketball because he will never be any good at it. Then he retracts the statement and tells him, "don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something, not even me."

If I were Bronco I would pull out a copy of this article at a press conference and burn it.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

I think it spells out BYU's limitations pretty accurately. We have 4 polynesians from Hawaii on the roster right now. 4, we used to have half our roster filled with them. Bronco says that academic standards have increased at BYU and it has hurt our recruiting efforts over there. The board of trustees is WAY more concerned about the honor code than winning games and that has been communicated to Bronco and other coaches of the other sports. BYU gave up an opportunity to go far in the NCAA tourney a couple of years ago becuase of the honor code and then carried that suspension like a badge of honor in order to tout our standards. Bronco has done a very good job with what he has had. He isn't shying away from the challenge, keeps saying that he wants to raise the bar and do better. We all knew coming into this year that we had a QB that was limited in what he could do and we all knew that if he got injured it would be even tougher to have that special year we all wanted. Well the worst case scenario happened and now we all want a lynch mob at Bronco's and Riley's house. I think this guy was pretty darn accurrate, like I said, the truth hurts sometimes and it hurts even worse when Fans deny what the reality of the truth is.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

tww wrote:Sorry but I don't agree with much of anything this guy says.

Representing the church does not preclude you from being the best or winning big games.
I don't believe that Utah or Boise state have superior talent.
I don't think that fan expectation of the coaches at BYU is all that much different from fans expectations at any program that is used to winning.
I don't think that just because fans expect of a coach making a million dollars a year to win every game is a reason for him to move on.
I don't think that an honor code and winning are mutually exclusive.
I don't think that innovation in football is a thing of the past.
I don't think that BYU's future is limited to to a weak talent and shallow roster.
I don't think that losing fulfills the mission of BYU football even if it is fifthI don't think fan expectations are outrageous.
I don't think that it is reasonable that a ten win season and poinsetta bowl should be "good enough."
I think Mendenhall has done well but I don't think he has "over achieved."
I think fans do have a right to ask for more.

Anyway, you get the picture.

I think this article is insulting and shameful crap.

I 100% agree with you on this. This article was nothing more than a cheap shot at BYU. I would love for the football team to take a look at this article and see what the players have to say about it.

Yes the truth can hurt but this article went no were near the truth and was a straight shot in the groin of every person who is a BYU fan and more so the players.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

First of all, I thought the article was a strawman. How many people have been calling for Bronco's job? I don't think anyone on this forum has. Many have disagreed with his calls, but that is not the same thing as calling for his job. In fact, I think most people are happy to have him, but still see areas of improvement (clock management, situational decision making, and holding the Oline/OC accountable). But I can't recall anyone calling for his job.

Now if we were all saying Bronco should go, then the article would be right. But we aren't, so it isn't. It is not unreasonable to ask for glaring weaknesses to be corrected--lest any of us think we are beyond improvement.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Who is calling for Bronco's head? I've seen very little of this. A lot of us think he just needs to be an actual head coach and coach both sides of the ball. We'd be crazy to let Bronco go. Weber is another story.

vancouvercougar
All-American

Post by vancouvercougar »

The opening statement of that article seemed a little confrontational to me.
The aftermath of BYU’s hard-fought loss at Boise State is just more proof that Bronco Mendenhall has the worst job in college football.
I don't believe that Bronco thinks he has the worst job in college football.

And, like the rest of you have stated, the VAST majority of us love Bronco and want him to be our coach over the few others who would be qualified for the job.

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Now you guys all love Bronco? With friends like you, who needs enemies? I get more than ever that when things do not go perfectly, message boards become a place for many to rant and rave. But seriously, the anger at Bronco and certain student athletes has been shamefully over the top. I'm not sure I'd agree with everything in the article, but I think it is true that Bronco has challenges coaching at BYU that no other coach has and that it does make for a more difficult assignment. Between the honor code, academics, missions, to name a few, these are things the BYU coach hasn't deal with that no one else has to to the same degree. Whit doesn't. Peterson doesn't Kelly doesn't. Those difficulties make winning harder. Deal with it

vrob
Recruit

Post by vrob »

I think this argument misses the fact that we have an amazing defense ranked #4 in the country. So to me that shows that the problems aren't systematic.

Gucci33
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Gucci33 »

I was one of the few calling for his head after his bonehead call against Boise. But after hearing some of the "fans" on the radio call in shows I'm not sure you can ever please anyone. We as fans think we know all. I would like Bronco to concentrate on just defense and hire a veteran ol and oc coach. Though I believe his pride would never allow him to step down to a dc only role.