The Limitations of Mendenhall's Core Philosophy

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
pjmuli
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The Limitations of Mendenhall's Core Philosophy

Post by pjmuli »

I really like Bronco Mendenhall...but the Riley Nelson situation really illustrates some of the limitations and problems with the core philosophy governing the program. I marvel at how SLOW our coaching staff is at identifying the talent that give us the competitive advantage.

Gordon Monson is spot on:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/54 ... csp?page=1

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: The Limitations of Mendenhall's Core Philosophy

Post by Cougs_Rule »

YEP

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I think everyone needs to wait until Williams and Hill get the nod against a better than average defense before they start drawing conclusions from their performance against the worst defense in the nation.

MesaCougFan
Freshman

Post by MesaCougFan »

In 2011 a healthy RN showed on the field of play that he was a better QB (per) against a better HI team in Honolulu than our FR phenom TH did last night against a less HI team in Provo. There is no conspiracy theory w/ Bronco.

U homer Gordon Monson has never been right about anything BYU football related. When I read that I threw up a little bit in my mouth.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Any time you agree with Gordon "Troll" Monson you must reevaluate your thoughts to determine how you came to the wrong conclusion.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Mesa, in all due respect, please explain why then, that Bronco started RN vs Utah and BSU with the same debilitating injury/condition, knowing full well, all week leading up to those games that Riely couldn't practice? It just does not add up. Start Lark vs Hill, I don't care, but a Riley at 65%? And let Riley back out there when he begged, for one more possession, er, turnover???
Riley was healthy last year vs Hawaii. We are talking this year. And Bronco most certainly has admitted favoritism for Riley.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

hawkwing wrote:Any time you agree with Gordon "Troll" Monson you must reevaluate your thoughts to determine how you came to the wrong conclusion.
Hawk, myself and many others this whole week made these same arguments prior to Monson. I detest Monson as well, but let's not Obfuscate the possibility it's true, ad argumentum, with an easy target like Monson.

MesaCougFan
Freshman

Post by MesaCougFan »

I can't speak for Bronco. Riley was healthy enough to lead us to victory vs. U. In spite of our debilitating o-line, Riley nearly led / willed us to victory. 4th & 12 was a thing of beauty, and in my opinion, no other QB on our roster makes that throw. Also in my opinion, it was a better throw than 4th & 18 by Max.

If I remember correctly, RN's injury last year was ribs. This year it's his back.

Bronco has not admitted favoritism. He has stated that Riley has proven to him that he (Riley) gives us the best (total body of work) chance to win games, when healthy enough. I question Bronco's decision / timing during Boise State. In my observations, Riley didn't have it that night. I wouldn't have given Riley the ball to start the second half, but I don't know what went on at half-time. I doubt Bronco could be swayed by a "begging" player. If Bronco honestly felt he was putting the Cougs in the best possible position to beat the Broncos, then I support that.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

snoscythe wrote:I think everyone needs to wait until Williams and Hill get the nod against a better than average defense before they start drawing conclusions from their performance against the worst defense in the nation.
Disagree. Hill and Williams both have better moves and more speed by far than Nelson and Alisa and it's not close. Nelson could never take a TD to the house because he is slow and the same goes for Alisa. I also can't remember the last time we had an RB who seemingly effortlessly ran for well over 100 yards.

We watched both of the starters play vs Weber and they just don't have the same tools. I can't wait to see what these H+W can do vs. better teams but both pairs have played crap teams and I saw the young guns make moves and make plays that the older guys simply cannot.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

pjmuli wrote:I really like Bronco Mendenhall...but the Riley Nelson situation really illustrates some of the limitations and problems with the core philosophy governing the program. I marvel at how SLOW our coaching staff is at identifying the talent that give us the competitive advantage.

Gordon Monson is spot on:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/54 ... csp?page=1
Monson is right for once. What Nelson did to Heaps is now happening to Nelson--without the drama though I assume.

Hill is so much better than Nelson and there is no chance that he can play worse against any remaining opponent than Riley did vs. Utah and BSU.