The Limitations of Mendenhall's Core Philosophy

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The Limitations of Mendenhall's Core Philosophy

Post by CrimsonCoug »

The coaches' biggest limitation is he didn't have a detailed exit strategy with Nelson. They should have known there was a high probability Nelson would get injured, and with Utah and BSU in weeks 3 and 4 he should have known it could very well come early.
They should have had a strategy for what happens if Nelson goes down early, late, or just half way. At what point do they pull him? Do they let him have a say in that decision?
Maybe they did have a strategy, and they've followed it and I just vehemently disagree with it. But it just loooks like they got caught unprepared for something that most of us saw before the season started.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

SpiffCoug wrote:Gordon Monson has fake opinions and positions. He doesn't care what he writes, he just wants you read/listen to him.
Isn't this sadly the case with most in the media?
Unfortunately, most in the media were making similar claims and arguments. Even Greg Wrubell (the guy who has to be a homer) was questioning, if not critical of "coaches" decisions at qb. GM just happens to be worse tha most.

stgeorgefan
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by stgeorgefan »

dmcougar wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Gordon Monson has fake opinions and positions. He doesn't care what he writes, he just wants you read/listen to him.
Isn't this sadly the case with most in the media?
Unfortunately, most in the media were making similar claims and arguments. Even Greg Wrubell (the guy who has to be a homer) was questioning, if not critical of "coaches" decisions at qb. GM just happens to be worse tha most.

GM does what he get paid to do... He gets people to read his articles and gets a reaction and gets people talking. So by that standard; he is good at what he does.
I'm not a GM homer by any stretch but spiffcoug nailed it; when greg wrubell brings it up.......... Like I said earlier it was the elephant in the room. GM didn't come out of left field this time.... :skeptic:

pjmuli
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by pjmuli »

Sounds like I am in the minority here...but I don't really have a problem with Monson. I may not always agree with his perspective, but I have no problem reading his material and determining how valid I feel that it is. An accurate perspective can really come from anywhere.

I am a big Bronco Mendenhall supporter. I am in his corner. However, concerns about his tendencies coming from this philosophy have been fairly evident for quite some time. Focusing on grit, leadership, and devotion is a focus on the means of production.

If production is paramount, then grit, leadership, and diligence take their rightful place along side capacity or talent. I think you can manage entitlement while still fostering at an earlier phase the development of your capacity.