Taysom Hill injured?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Taysom Hill injured?

Post by Cougarbib »

Matty-B wrote:
byutx wrote:
vancouvercougar wrote:I thought that at the point Hill injured himself we still needed a first down to run out the clock. a pass would be dangerous--2 bad things can happen and the clock stops without a USU timeout. To run it when we should be tatking a knee is stupid, but we weren't there yet.
Nope. It was definitely unnecessary. There was 1:14 left and USU had only one timeout. We had just got a first down on the previous play. I was bugged at the time that we were risking a fumble or injury. If Taysom is done for the year, and it appears that he is, I am going to be pissed.

I feel the same way. I will be angry and very annoyed.
Who the hell runs your QB when bleeding the clock??? Even if he is a good runner and a tough kid.
Throw in the fact that our "starter" is already injured... just REALLY stupid.
Maybe he was protecting our skinny legged RB since that starter was also out.

Very unfortunate. I am too lazy to do the take a knee math. But if take a knee three times would have bled the clock - should have bled it.

I hope Doman, or Hill who was doing a lot of audibiling, weren't trying to appease the fans certain to be whining about the lack of points.

I bet our field goal kicker and OL are glad to be out from under the spotlight.

Hill, Anae - not Jaime and Robert - Taysom and Famika - really tough breaks - young players making an impact.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
SHIZ
Recruit

Post by SHIZ »

if our only steady way to move the ball against even mediocre teams is to run options and QB draws all game long, then it's probably a blessing in disguise to have this happen at the end of a game, because the QB getting injured is inevitable and it could have happened just as easily at the beginning of the next game. at least now the offense has a week to prepare a different QB.

or maybe doman will just use this week to come up with new QB running plays.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Yes, but.....
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Hopefully, coaches finally now "have learned with Rileys [injury]" and nw Taysoms season ending injury that ou cannot qb draw, run with impunity. Sad thing is if Riley's key to. Offensive efficiency and success is taken away, will he and the O be even easier to stop?

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by KingCoug »

Good article by Wrubell below. Here is an excerpt...

Playing five straight seasons with QBs who had a throw-first mandate, Mendenhall's Cougars went 49-15; the last three of those seasons resulted in a 32-7 record. BYU is now in its third season with a two-QB rotation, running QBs, freshman QBs, or some combination thereof; a 21-11 record has been the result.

Riley Nelson, when healthy, is a valuable weapon. Taysom Hill, given health and a little more experience, can be spectacular. Both players' ability to maximize their collegiate potential may come down to whether the latest definition of a "BYU quarterback" is actually viable, over the long term.

This is not to say that the Cougars cannot or should not take occasional advantage of gifted QBs' athleticism, strength and speed. However, the last two and a half seasons seem to suggest that like BYU's passing roots, the quarterbacks' feet may need to be more firmly planted in the backfield.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=22466031&nid=49 ... ss-extlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
TheLocust
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by TheLocust »

You know, I am in here stirring some banter for our upcoming game this week with you guys but that aside, I am sincerely sorry to hear of these injuries to your QBs.

You know Oregon (not OS) is having the same issues with their QBs running the spread option! The QBs pay the price in this sort of scheme! But damn..., when it works it's a thing of beauty to watch as a fan!

"GO BEAVS"!