Bronco Interview 10-8

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
trueblue72
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Bronco Interview 10-8

Post by trueblue72 »

Lawboy wrote:
dmcougar wrote: Except we Heard out of practices all last week that Riley had half the snaps last week enroute to his triumphal return vs USU. if he has to get all the snaps,
RIley got not reps after Tuesday last week. They gave him a hard look Tuesday, then made the call.

As to this week, RIley is getting starters reps. Lark the back up reps. Hopefully RIley is healthy enough to perform game day. But most of all, hopefully the scheme does not suck.

Lawboy, I have a feeling the scheme will still suck... I think our scheme does suck and will suck until Brandon has an epiphany that High School style play calling doesn't work on the D-1 or any college level for that matter. A running QB is a threat and should be a tool that is used on occasion, just enough to keep the defense on their heels, but not used to the extent that it allows the defense to pin their ears back and target the QB on every running play.

I was a huge Doman supporter in the beginning and I was until the last few games when I realized that he has no concept of running plays to set up other plays. He uses the QB draw as a security blanket and we can see that Hill and Nelson run too much on their own without him adding to it.

Having played college football, whenever we were in need of a first down to run the game out the coach would tell the guy bringing the play in, to tell us the play and then say after we get the first down, Victory formation. It was always called a play ahead contingent upon us acheiving the first down. Again, I don't see any indication on Doman's part of thinking two or three plays ahead.

I"m not calling for Doman's head, but I think Steve Clark at SUU would be an interesting fit, a BYU guy, run's an offense that is more of a BYU style offensee (Which I don't care if it's BYU style, as long as it's effective without running the QB 20 times a game) An offense that throws the ball and throws downfield more than 2 times a game. Bronco is loyal and he wont get rid of Brandon, and I think Brandon deserves one more year as much as it pain's me to say that. There have been injuries and attitude that have affected his play calling. I say after year 3 he's done if we don't see a drastic improvement.

Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

I think DOman deserves one more year as well. Not sure I can say the same for Caoch Weber.

However, BYU needs to get a scheme, then stick to it. If the QB can not execute it, sit him. Then recruit players who can for the future. Bronco has done this with his D. But our O is just a mess right now. Far too much Navy, AFA, high school ball in there for my liking. We are a passing school, not a QB running school.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Lawboy wrote:I think DOman deserves one more year as well. Not sure I can say the same for Caoch Weber.

However, BYU needs to get a scheme, then stick to it. If the QB can not execute it, sit him. Then recruit players who can for the future. Bronco has done this with his D. But our O is just a mess right now. Far too much Navy, AFA, high school ball in there for my liking. We are a passing school, not a QB running school.
But Lawboy, all signs point towards Doman making BYU a QB running school. That's his scheme and he certainly appears committed to it. Just go ask Lark, Riley's back and Hill's knee.

He hasn't really recruited for it aside from getting a mobile QB. No OL for it and then what's he supposed to do with all the studs he has as receivers?

The problem is the scheme. The scheme is lousy. Name one legit college program or NFL team that has a QB that gets 19 carries in a game? It's a horrible approach to football. Not only is it ineffective, it's tremendously boring to watch. Can't imagine what it must be like to be Apo, Hoffman or Friel and actually play in it.

Either Doman changes his scheme or BYU changes OCs. My preference would be the later.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

Nebraska and Ohio state. And Michigan. Oregon. It is the trend with the spread. And those QBs get hurt too. Robinson did. So did Martinez. But they stick with it.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Guys, the QB running scheme was put into place to maximize the talents of a very athletic guy in Hill. It made it so we could move the ball down the field and not put too much pressure on the young guy and keep the turnovers down so out D could win the game for us. We were 2-0 with that scheme. Unfortunately, Hill took a unlucky shot to his knee on a play that didn't need to be run, that is football. I am not saying that Doman hasn't struggled this year, but it is time to put this behind us and see what can be done to improve the offense now that our starter has been declared healthy and ready to go. I didn't hear any of this complaining about Doman's scheme last year, what changed? Nothing other than our starter got hurt and we chose to play an athletic freshman rather than the drop back passer Sr.