Ending the Riley Nelson is a "good QB" debate

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Ending the Riley Nelson is a "good QB" debate

Post by Brayden Green »

Schmoe wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:
nuk13 wrote:I just watched hi lights of the 2011 season. One was of Nelson throwing from the 50 hitting Hoffman (I think) on stride at the end zone.
Cool. That was against St Mary's Agricultural School for the deaf, wasn't it?
C'mon, BIB, you know your alma mater doesn't have a football team ;)
What did you just say? I'm afraid that you are going to have to repeat it...

<<cups hands to ear>>

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

cougman wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote: Riley was/is now 5-5 in those games by your definition. As I said in a another thread, after responding your thread and getting in into Riley's numbers, I've come to the determination that Riley is an average QB.

Being fair to him is the least we can do.
For purposes of debating this, I'll cede that RN is average. When was the last time BYU rolled with an "average" QB? Why would any Cougar Fan defend the decision to be content with an "average" QB?

I got absolutely hammered over a year ago for pointing all of this out about RN when I argued that he had hit his ceiling and how he had reached his potential. Everyone kept telling me how much he would improve (and how much of a hater I was). He is what he always has been. Average.
BYU has routinely run with average QBs like Kevin Feterik, Steve Lindslay, Sean Covey, Brandon Doman, etc. Riley benefitted from following an historically awful QB (at least statistically). Guys like Sean Covey looorse ih retrospect because they were followed by spectacular QBs.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
cougman
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by cougman »

SpiffCoug wrote:
cougman wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote: Riley was/is now 5-5 in those games by your definition. As I said in a another thread, after responding your thread and getting in into Riley's numbers, I've come to the determination that Riley is an average QB.

Being fair to him is the least we can do.
For purposes of debating this, I'll cede that RN is average. When was the last time BYU rolled with an "average" QB? Why would any Cougar Fan defend the decision to be content with an "average" QB?

I got absolutely hammered over a year ago for pointing all of this out about RN when I argued that he had hit his ceiling and how he had reached his potential. Everyone kept telling me how much he would improve (and how much of a hater I was). He is what he always has been. Average.
BYU has routinely run with average QBs like Kevin Feterik, Steve Lindslay, Sean Covey, Brandon Doman, etc. Riley benefitted from following an historically awful QB (at least statistically). Guys like Sean Covey looorse ih retrospect because they were followed by spectacular QBs.

Wrong. Feterik was a very good QB. I was there for his JR and SR season. Dude took a lot of heat and dealt with it outstanding. Unlike Riley, He got better every game. Ended up being one of if not the most accurate passers in BYU history. Lindslay doesn't count because he only started one season essentially. I do think Covey was average, but he was benched/didn't start his senior season. We've been on a "Riley is our guy thing" for long enough without even sniffing Lark or Munns. Just when Hill seems like a great option, we dork that up, though I'm not convinced BM would have started Hill this week.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Put in Lark and be done with it.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Kevin Feterik got punched by his own lineman. He did NOT get better every game nor did he end as one of the most accurate passers.

His PERs his final four games:178.25 vs AF, 148.78 vs SDSU, 134.15 vs WYO, 93.38 vs Utah. He left BYU as the #6 most accurate at 61.2%. Which is pretty average - exactly what BYU QBs averaged from 1971-2009.

He was the definition of average. His career PER is 141.29. The average PER between 1971-2009 was 143.31. He was very average.

(8.4x
..................ATT
cougman
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by cougman »

SpiffCoug wrote:Kevin Feterik got punched by his own lineman. He did NOT get better every game nor did he end as one of the most accurate passers.

His PERs his final four games:178.25 vs AF, 148.78 vs SDSU, 134.15 vs WYO, 93.38 vs Utah. He left BYU as the #6 most accurate at 61.2%. Which is pretty average - exactly what BYU QBs averaged from 1971-2009.

He was the definition of average. His career PER is 141.29. The average PER between 1971-2009 was 143.31. He was very average.
Then Riley is below average.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Should we have "the Feterik Line" which would be the BYU Fball equivalent of the "Mendoza Line?"

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

cougman wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Kevin Feterik got punched by his own lineman. He did NOT get better every game nor did he end as one of the most accurate passers.

Then Riley is below average.
He is now. Prior to the Utah game, his career PER was 135.91. He's now down to 128.70. He's at a below average level.

His 2012 season is summed up in missed plays. There have been plays he could have made that would have changed the season, his career and legacy. But he's failed to make them. Like completely missing (overthrowing no less) Falslev who was 7 yards behind the defense down the sideline that would have gone for a LOOONG TD. The play call was great - and Riley missed the play.

BYU hasn't had a QB in three years who has been able to consistently make those plays.

(8.4x
..................ATT
Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

BlueIsBetter wrote:Should we have "the Feterik Line" which would be the BYU Fball equivalent of the "Mendoza Line?"
I think the "Covey Line" has a much better ring to it, plus Covey is such a BYU name. Covey was even more average than Feterik.