And the controversy lives on

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: And the controversy lives on

Post by snoscythe »

Riley gets the blame for INT #1, the receiver gets it for INT #2, and INT #3 didn't matter. So if you're going to knock him for the turnovers, you'd better be limiting it to the first pick, otherwise you're just trolling for data to support a flimsy hypothesis.

This loss is credited to our secondary and OSU's ability to negate our pass rush.

cougman
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by cougman »

Schmoe wrote:
cougman wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
I wasn't being sarcastic. The way our defense played, we'd have needed a much better QB than we've had in a long while (maybe Beck his senior year?) to win that game. If you put this loss on our QB, you don't know football at all.
That's one of your best, lol!

Certainly RN isn't THE reason we lost the game, but he's a pretty big contributor. It's not just the turnovers, it's when and where. Red Zone, trying to rally, etc, over throwing a wide open Falslev that was an automatic 7 (er, 6). I would submit that if you blame Apo for the INT you don't know football at all.

Riley is what he is and BM is what he is. Average. It just so happens that that's cool with most of Cougar Nation.
If you're applying this word to Bronco, I'm pretty sure you don't know English.
I suppose you're right. Something like 4-9 vs ranked teams probably qualifies as POOR or below AVERAGE.

cougman
Freshman

Post by cougman »

snoscythe wrote:Riley gets the blame for INT #1, the receiver gets it for INT #2, and INT #3 didn't matter. So if you're going to knock him for the turnovers, you'd better be limiting it to the first pick, otherwise you're just trolling for data to support a flimsy hypothesis.

This loss is credited to our secondary and OSU's ability to negate our pass rush.
Throw the ball in the dirt and blame the WR. Nice strategy.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

cougman wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
cougman wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
I wasn't being sarcastic. The way our defense played, we'd have needed a much better QB than we've had in a long while (maybe Beck his senior year?) to win that game. If you put this loss on our QB, you don't know football at all.
That's one of your best, lol!

Certainly RN isn't THE reason we lost the game, but he's a pretty big contributor. It's not just the turnovers, it's when and where. Red Zone, trying to rally, etc, over throwing a wide open Falslev that was an automatic 7 (er, 6). I would submit that if you blame Apo for the INT you don't know football at all.

Riley is what he is and BM is what he is. Average. It just so happens that that's cool with most of Cougar Nation.
If you're applying this word to Bronco, I'm pretty sure you don't know English.
I suppose you're right. Something like 4-9 vs ranked teams probably qualifies as POOR or below AVERAGE.
So, you're saying the average college football coach has a .500 or better record vs ranked teams? News to me. Also, it's nice that you can cherry pick the one stat that might kind of support your argument and ignore everything else.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

cougman wrote:Something like 4-9 vs ranked teams probably qualifies as POOR or below AVERAGE.
Actually, I think that would be above average simply because ranked teams by definition won't lose as often as the unranked.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

cougman wrote:
snoscythe wrote:Riley gets the blame for INT #1, the receiver gets it for INT #2, and INT #3 didn't matter. So if you're going to knock him for the turnovers, you'd better be limiting it to the first pick, otherwise you're just trolling for data to support a flimsy hypothesis.

Throw the ball in the dirt and blame the WR. Nice strategy.
Actually, it wasn't in the dirt. If it was in the dirt it would be an incomplete pass. Unfortunately he hit Apo in the hands (again) and Apo took it from 6 inches off the ground and popped it to 5 feet in the air instead of catching it. I don't see how you can blame Nelson for a pick when he threw it where only his receiver could get to it, where no defender could get to it, and his receiver gets two hands on it.

SHIZ
Recruit

Post by SHIZ »

or maybe we could just call all riley's mistakes flukes or blame other people to support a different flimsy hypothesis

int #2 is 100% on riley.

MesaCougFan
Freshman

Post by MesaCougFan »

I heard the color men comment about 20 times how they thought Riley made bad decisions. The first pick was one, and the 3rd pick was one.

Riley played the way we have come to expect him to. I was actually surprised about how sharp he looked! He can't seem to make a throw in the flat. He had several good throws dropped by Friel, Mahina and even Hoffman. Too bad his timing wasn't there on the throw to Falslev.

How many bounces can go one teams way?

The game was much closer than the score indicates.

Our D didn't play the way that I would have expected, or as we'll as they are ranked.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

SHIZ wrote: int #2 is 100% on riley.
Enjoy your complete loss of credibility.

SHIZ
Recruit

Post by SHIZ »

Jarhead wrote:
SHIZ wrote: int #2 is 100% on riley.
Enjoy your complete loss of credibility.
ok so then we are the only team in the country that throws WR screens that the receiver has to dive for.

maybe doman is more innovative than i give him credit for.