And the controversy lives on

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: And the controversy lives on

Post by Gunk »

When you said controversy, I thought you might have been referring to Bronco's bend, don't break philosophy which only works against QBs that can't throw. Our secondary got torched.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by BoiseBYU »

Some of you want to put this on RIley; some on the defense, as if it is a totally one-sided all-in-our-hands sort of thing. We lost today because OSU is a better team. There is no shame in playing a top ten team tough and losing. Their OLine protected the QB quite well. Their receivers ran great routes. Their QB put it where it needed to be. Get over the it's all on the D or on Riley. Today we played a better team and add in the ball bouncing the wrong way several times we could not do it.
Last edited by BoiseBYU on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cougman
Freshman

Post by cougman »

snoscythe wrote:
cougman wrote:Something like 4-9 vs ranked teams probably qualifies as POOR or below AVERAGE.
Actually, I think that would be above average simply because ranked teams by definition won't lose as often as the unranked.
What about all the times we've played ranked teams while being ranked ourselves? Everyone can spin things however they want. I suppose I'm guilty of doing it, too. I just think our program has performed at a high level of mediocrity for far too long. Maybe I'm psychotic because I get upset that TCU, BSU, Utah, and Hawaii have all had far more success than we have over the last decade. Chill out before you wax me. I know success is defined differently by everyone. Most on this board and the guys in charge in Provo are perfectly fine taking 8 or 9 wins despite the signature win of the season being Utah St, Tulsa, or the likes. To them that is a success. To me it's not.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

OS was a good team. A better team. We couldn't get pressure. We couldn't stop the run in the 2nd half. We couldn't make plays on offense.

OS was the team that took advantage of all their opportunities, BYU floundered most of theirs.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

BoiseBYU wrote:Some of you want to put this on RIley; some on the defense, as if it is a totally one-sided all-in-our-hands sort of thing. We lost today because OSU is a better team. There is no shame in playing a top ten team tough and losing. Their OLine protected the QB quite well. Their receivers ran great routes. Their QB put it where it needed to be. Get over the it's all on the D or on Riley. Today we played a better team and add in the ball bouncing the wrong way several times we could not do it.
While I agree that the loss wasn't all on Riley, we've seen what we're going to get with him. As well as what we're not going to get. I honestly don't think he gives us any more "chance to win" than Lark does at this point.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
pjmuli
Freshman

Post by pjmuli »

snoscythe wrote:
cougman wrote:
snoscythe wrote:Riley gets the blame for INT #1, the receiver gets it for INT #2, and INT #3 didn't matter. So if you're going to knock him for the turnovers, you'd better be limiting it to the first pick, otherwise you're just trolling for data to support a flimsy hypothesis.

This loss is credited to our secondary and OSU's ability to negate our pass rush.
Throw the ball in the dirt and blame the WR. Nice strategy.
Actually, it wasn't in the dirt. If it was in the dirt it would be an incomplete pass. Unfortunately he hit Apo in the hands (again) and Apo took it from 6 inches off the ground and popped it to 5 feet in the air instead of catching it. I don't see how you can blame Nelson for a pick when he threw it where only his receiver could get to it, where no defender could get to it, and his receiver gets two hands on it.
Sometimes in these Nelson discussions I wonder if we were watching the same game. Yes, Apo popped that pass up...but I am really curious to see how anyone can legitimately claim that the throw was anything but a complete and total piece of crap.

Basically, Nelson showed us who he is...capable of doing some things that really help the team, but ultimately he just can't throw the ball well enough to succeed at this level. Those WR screen passes were just plain awful. Rarely our passes thrown well enough that we can get yards after the catch.

I wouldn't get too pumped about Riley's yards...nearly 100 of those yard came on the shovel option to JWilliams.

By now, anyone who claims otherwise is basically stubborn and unwilling to see things that are plainly obvious. I guess I don't see why that observation is so controversial?

Also, you find me another quarterback anywhere who has turned the ball over 13 times in 11 quarters of play and experiences NO heat in terms of losing his starting position.

I think what creates the controversy is the coaching staff's complete and total devotion to Nelson. I really think creating an offense around his strengths was a fools errand.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

The team with the real controversy, might be OS in a few weeks when Mannion is healthy again.

BYU doesn't have a controversy, because the rest of the season doesn't really matter at this point. Play whomever the coaches want - it's not going to change what people think of this season when it's over.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

How much "controversy" is there at this point? Seems at this point at least 75% of fans would start Lark if they could.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
BPcougs
BLUEshirt

Post by BPcougs »

Does anybody really think Riley is good? The 2nd pick was on Apo? Really? Riley threw a 10 yard pass in the dirt haha. The 3rd pick wasn't even close. Riley is a joke of a qb. Give Lark a chance, he deserves one.

SHIZ
Recruit

Post by SHIZ »

KingCoug wrote:How much "controversy" is there at this point? Seems at this point at least 75% of fans would start Lark if they could.
in the middle of our 3rd year in search of a QB, its funny to see the other team plug in their backup who hasn't seen the field in 2 years and have him throw perfectly placed balls all over the field.

makes you wonder if lark could do anything like that, or if lark is just so bad that the coaches don't trust putting him out there.