U of U sex abuse scandal

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
northerncougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: U of U sex abuse scandal

Post by northerncougar »

hawkwing wrote:
northerncougar wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:How much of a "little under age sex on the side"is a university supposed to tolerate?

Dr Hill should be placed on administrative leave first thing Monday morning. Same with the coach until they figure this out.

Further, the governor should appoint an independent council to investigate the entire athletic department. These are state employees who have been paid by tax payers and abused their positions to possibly abuse -physically, emotionally and sexually - students and citizens and children of our state.
They should never tolerate any, and I agree with what you say about Dr. Hill. The coach has already been fired.

But for anyone to say this is their "Sandusky Scandal" is way out of line. If the article is correct, then what happened at the U is bad, but let's leave the hyperbole out of something like this.

I know you aren't saying that, but I was disappointed that Hawk did.
Interesting perspective from a guy who is well known for his own negative hyperbole.

Yes there are apparently fewer victims in this case but any underage sex is sexual abuse and if the school knew about it, and the other abuses and covered it up then it's a terrible thing.
Really? You are going to equate my frustration with several years of poor showing from a team I cheer for with this type of subject. Really?

I have no problem with accepting that I have been very negative about BYU sport and I make no apologies for it. I don't see how that equates to lives being ruined by a coach who is abusing people and an AD that looked the otherway but it still doesn't come close to the Sandusky case. If my understanding is correct, the sexual abuse took place in AZ before be came to Utah. At this point it doesn't seem that Hill could have known about that since those allegations just came to light and they fired him when they did.

Hill might have covered up some very poor behavior but he seemed to act quickly when the abuse allegations came forward. The coach is a piece of work and there seems to be ample evidence that he physically abused college students. Terrible but no Sandusky at Utah.

Ungoy
All-American

Post by Ungoy »

Correction: When the abuse allegations became public, Mr. Hill reacted. If this hadn't hit the media, do you really think that there would be anything going down right now? He swept everything else under the rug, and if he had an opportunity to do so with the sexual allegations, he would have done so. He was forced to react in a sorry effort to save his own hide.

When he sits on report after report and complaint after complaint, and does nothing to investigate, then he becomes as culpable as the one who committed the crimes, because his inactions enabled this coach to continue committing the crimes.

In this situation, Mr. Hill has made himself out to be a douche of monumentally epic proportions. Maybe if he had done something sooner, that girl (or possibly girls, who knows) would not have been sexually abused.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

Ungoy wrote:Correction: When the abuse allegations became public, Mr. Hill reacted. If this hadn't hit the media, do you really think that there would be anything going down right now? He swept everything else under the rug, and if he had an opportunity to do so with the sexual allegations, he would have done so. He was forced to react in a sorry effort to save his own hide.

When he sits on report after report and complaint after complaint, and does nothing to investigate, then he becomes as culpable as the one who committed the crimes, because his inactions enabled this coach to continue committing the crimes.

In this situation, Mr. Hill has made himself out to be a douche of monumentally epic proportions. Maybe if he had done something sooner, that girl (or possibly girls, who knows) would not have been sexually abused.
+1. Hill had a positive duty to investigate and ensure the safety and respectful treatment of all student athletes at the U. He failed miserably in fulfilling that duty - until forced to do so.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Let's be clear here, this guy has shown that he's of low moral character. However, the only sexual allegations are that he went to second base with a 15-year-old who only reported it seven years later and those charges are disputed. Let's not condemn him for that without due process. Does he deserve to have a job as a swim coach? Clearly not.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

Where the heck were the dad's? Someone do anything remotely like this to one of my kids let alone one of my girls and I wouldn't be sending a "strongly worded letter to follow". I wouldn't even be talking to the AD, I would be in the coaches office and it would have stopped or I would show him how swimmers fair against wrestlers. I have no tolorance for abuse, especially when it lands kids in trouble (black out etc).

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Schmoe wrote:Let's be clear here, this guy has shown that he's of low moral character. However, the only sexual allegations are that he went to second base with a 15-year-old who only reported it seven years later and those charges are disputed. Let's not condemn him for that without due process. Does he deserve to have a job as a swim coach? Clearly not.
Whaaat? You're not willing to condemn someone without the facts? What kind of an American are you? :roll:

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Ddawg wrote:
Schmoe wrote:Let's be clear here, this guy has shown that he's of low moral character. However, the only sexual allegations are that he went to second base with a 15-year-old who only reported it seven years later and those charges are disputed. Let's not condemn him for that without due process. Does he deserve to have a job as a swim coach? Clearly not.
Whaaat? You're not willing to condemn someone without the facts? What kind of an American are you? :roll:
I'm sorry to disappoint you, Ddawg, but it's no secret around here that I'm a total d@*che.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
northerncougar
Junior

Post by northerncougar »

Come on man!

Never let logic, reason and facts get in the way of a good emotional response.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/55986 ... s.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UofU appoints independent investigators to the case.

That's a good first step.

Step two: place on administrative leave anyone found to be involved. So Dr. Chris Hill should on leave real quick here.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

It still seems that you need to reinforce one more point because judgmental skimmers seem lost on the point that the alleged sexual misconduct took place not only seven years before it was reported by the alleged victim, but it took place in ARIZONA before U hired this jerk.

That was activity that Chris Hill and other U admin knew nothing about until AZ authorities recently let U campus security officials know that AZ was investigating him but asked U officials to keep that quiet so as not to jeopardize their investigation

The abusive behavior at U was at least partially known to Dr. Hill, but was of a non-sexual nature based on what has been reported so far. Very physically and emotionally abusive coaching techniques were employed, and anyone who challenged the coach in any way or whose parents did seemed to get singled out for more verbal and physical abuse.

I did read one comment that indicated that the 15 year old girl of 7 years ago had reappeared as an adult aged teen at U and there is a link of some sort because that girl told a teammate that the coach bought beer for her while underaged and told her that he called her at night to complain about his marriage and that they seemed to have an abnormally close personal relationship for a coach and student, but also said it was not a sexual relationship.

Anyway - the focus should be on the behavior of the coach. He is a jerk at best.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by Cougarbib on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.