RIP Todd Christensen

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
urroner
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: RIP Todd Christensen

Post by urroner »

I only met him twice while going to the Y in the late 70s. He came across with a "I'm nobody special, just a plain old Joe" attitude. Condolences to his family and associates.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

I never met him, but I did see him working out at the AF high school track once while I played on the tennis courts. Apparently he did a bunch with Masters track and field, holds some records for people over 45 and whatnot. A true competitor to the very end. Condolences.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

snoscythe wrote:
A Complete Assterisk wrote:Todd may have been the best *tight end to ever play at BYU. Ironically, he will not be remembered exactly that way because he never actually played tight end at BYU - he was a running back. So put an asterisk by that.
Thanks for quoting me out of context. That quote was embedded in my post praising Todd Christensen as a man and a player. It simply meant that he will be remembered as a great Running Back at BYU because he earned his All WAC accolades and 2nd round NFL draft status as a RB not as a tight end.

I also noted, just as you thankfully did quote, that had he played tight end at BYU - he probably would have been the best one we ever had.

I wish we had one like him now. I am a huge fan. Always have been.

The asterisk simply means he will be remembered as a RB in BYU Legacy while most Raiders fans would not even imagine that he was a running back in college.

The asterisk was not intended to be even slightly derogatory. It was meant to mark a very interesting footnote that fans under 45 probably do not even know unless they have researched it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Cougarbib wrote:By all accounts, Todd Christensen was a good man, a good husband, a good father, and a good example to others in the sports world where good examples are few and far between.

Todd may have been the best *tight end to ever play at BYU. Ironically, he will not be remembered exactly that way because he never actually played tight end at BYU - he was a running back. So put an asterisk by that.

He played as a running back / fullback for The Dallas Cowboys as a reserve until after a trade to Oakland, the late Al Davis had the vision to turn him into a Super Bowl Tight End. He played at an MVP and All-Pro level as a tight end.

May God bless Todd Christensen and his family and friends.

My complete OP. If anyone thought it was critical in any way. I apologize. It was meant as praise. Legacy is a big thing with me. Todd has a legacy as a family man. Admirable one. As a BYU Runnung Back. Ecellent one. As a Los Angeles Raider tight end. Legendary one. And as a sports broadcaster where he takes some criticism from detractors for using big words and for trying too hard not to be perceived as a BYU homer. I liked him as a broadcaster just fine.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

Trevor Matich gives a very long thoughtful response on espn.com
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99716 ... rs-dies-57

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

stgeorgefan wrote:Trevor Matich gives a very long thoughtful response on espn.com
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/99716 ... rs-dies-57

Outstanding. Another one of the greats. A handful of BYU players have achieved the elite NFL career status of Todd Christensen. He would be, one of the very most successful family men of the bunch. He launched before McMahon and Young.

Mattich was very good in his interview. Speaks well for BYU and The LDS Church.

Mattich was also a very good football player.

Found an NFL Top 10 Player List

1. Steve Young
2. Todd Christensen
3. Bart Oates
4. Jim McMahon
5. Brett Keisel
6. Chad Lewis
7. John Tait
8. Vai Sikahema
9. Marc Wilson
10. Dennis Pitta

Number 2 in a pretty good list of company.

bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

Cougarbib wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:By all accounts, Todd Christensen was a good man, a good husband, a good father, and a good example to others in the sports world where good examples are few and far between.

Todd may have been the best *tight end to ever play at BYU. Ironically, he will not be remembered exactly that way because he never actually played tight end at BYU - he was a running back. So put an asterisk by that.

He played as a running back / fullback for The Dallas Cowboys as a reserve until after a trade to Oakland, the late Al Davis had the vision to turn him into a Super Bowl Tight End. He played at an MVP and All-Pro level as a tight end.

May God bless Todd Christensen and his family and friends.

My complete OP. If anyone thought it was critical in any way. I apologize. It was meant as praise. Legacy is a big thing with me. Todd has a legacy as a family man. Admirable one. As a BYU Runnung Back. Ecellent one. As a Los Angeles Raider tight end. Legendary one. And as a sports broadcaster where he takes some criticism from detractors for using big words and for trying too hard not to be perceived as a BYU homer. I liked him as a broadcaster just fine.

Clearly he might have been a great tight end at BYU. Dallas also wanted to make him a TE, but he wanted to be a fullback; that had something to do with him being traded. He also wanted to play fullback at Oakland until they explained to him that he could be a backup fullback or a starting tight end.

I have always been a great fan of Todd Christesen. I even enjoyed his large and colorful vocabulary. I will miss him, and my heart goes out to his family and loved ones.

stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

How about a Todd Christensen highlight in is honor.... Bust out your thesaurus for this clip, your gonna need it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WncR2BPuwts

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Here's that video, embedded:

stgeorgefan
Senior