LB Preview 2014

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stgeorgefan
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: LB Preview 2014

Post by stgeorgefan »

Cougarbib wrote:I put a ton of priority on experience. That is why you did not see me using any words like stellar, elite, phenominal, amazing.

I thing they will be solid - occasional flashes of brilliance - plenty of mistakes born of inexperience.

Prior to reading this article, I had a very - below average - bleak outlook on our linebacking corps.

I define average as ranking our linebackers vs the linebackers of every D1 team and if we end up at 62 - we be average.

If we end up at 50 - above average.

How do you define average?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

My definition of average when comparing our LB's was : Byu vs Byu. Not Byu vs any other team.
A better way to put it could be "how does the 2014 LB's compare to Byu's standard Linebacker performance" The cougs have had good LB's in the Bronco era.
While ranked 60th is average nationally, being ranked 60th at Byu would be considered poor.
Side note would be other positions and how they relate to the overall LB performance. Ex. With Ziggy Ansah KVN was able to have less teams key on him and his stats looked better because of it. Better D-Line would equal better stats for the Lb's theoretically. In 2014 I expect our DB's to make our LB's look better.
This year I expect more team defense and less of 1-2 players taking over games. We don't have the "name" this year.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

stgeorgefan wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:I put a ton of priority on experience. That is why you did not see me using any words like stellar, elite, phenominal, amazing.

I thing they will be solid - occasional flashes of brilliance - plenty of mistakes born of inexperience.

Prior to reading this article, I had a very - below average - bleak outlook on our linebacking corps.

I define average as ranking our linebackers vs the linebackers of every D1 team and if we end up at 62 - we be average.

If we end up at 50 - above average.

How do you define average?

I totally agree that the linebackers will be an average Bronco Mendenhall set of linebackers. They will be above national average.

Last edited by Cougarbib on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

stgeorgefan wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
stgeorgefan wrote:I had a different take on the article. I think our LB's will be average. I really like our CB and S positions, and I think they are the key to a improved defense next year.
2 things to chew on; Kafusi being rumored to go through spring ball at OLB. Alisa possibly moving to LB. If our returning guys were so good then why move Kafusi, why add Alisa? It's been 3 years since Alisa has played LB, is he going to walk in and be on the two deep? What does that say about our 2 deep?
Define average. Average would have our linebackers ranked about 60th or worse in D1. They will be better than that.

Average as in how our LB core did from Wisconsin on last year. With a stronger CB and solid Safety core I expect those positions to help hide some inexperience.
We got a good look at a handful of guys after Jorgensen, Hadley went down. We all saw how much those guys meant to our defense. They are now the starters (minus van noy)..

Also; I'm not arguing why Alisa is moving, of course he won't get time at RB. The fact that he is buried on the RB depth chart but NOT on the LB depth chart is a telling factor. He'd stay at RB if we were stacked at LB.
We are shallow in the experience department, that allows Alisa and/or Kafusi to move over.
I think we are missing nthe point a little. Alisa is moving to linebacker not because he would be buried on depth chart at running back but it is because we are thin at linebacker. Bronco even said so. he has experience there, is fast and is a good way to add depth, help the team. if alisa was a sophmore he might be staying at running back. but with brown, williams, and company there is no reason to keep alisa at running back for one year.

stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

jonnylingo wrote: I think we are missing nthe point a little. Alisa is moving to linebacker not because he would be buried on depth chart at running back but it is because we are thin at linebacker.
I don't think I missed your point, seems like we agree
He'd stay at RB if we were stacked at LB.
We are shallow in the experience department, that allows Alisa and/or Kafusi to move over.
We know that Jamal is the #1 RB, we also have 2 power backs who saw good playing time. I do think Alisa is buried on the RB chart. That fact just facilitates the move to the shallow LB dept.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.loyalcougars.com/2014/03/26/ ... n-kaufusi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Outsider LB.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.loyalcougars.com/2014/03/28/ ... ere-stout/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Inside LB.