LB Preview 2014

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

LB Preview 2014

Post by scott715 »

http://deepshadesofblue.com/2014-outloo ... nebackers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: LB Preview 2014

Post by Cougarbib »

Now that was down right encouraging.

Maybe 1 can play tight end.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

It's all going to be about the DB's. If BYU keeps them healthy, the defense will be as good if not better than it was last year, certainly better than it ended last year. With a full stable of healthy and talented DB's you will see Bronco get very aggressive with his play calling.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

frdbtr wrote:It's all going to be about the DB's. If BYU keeps them healthy, the defense will be as good if not better than it was last year, certainly better than it ended last year. With a full stable of healthy and talented DB's you will see Bronco get very aggressive with his play calling.
Yep. I don't know about the DL, but we're always serviceable at least on the front 7. We get some legit corners--at least a few steps above last year--and it's on.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Barring injuries or suspensions, the defense will be solid. We have the DBs, as long as they stay healthy and academically perform, and honor the honor code.

Last edited by Cougarbib on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

I had a different take on the article. I think our LB's will be average. I really like our CB and S positions, and I think they are the key to a improved defense next year.
2 things to chew on; Kafusi being rumored to go through spring ball at OLB. Alisa possibly moving to LB. If our returning guys were so good then why move Kafusi, why add Alisa? It's been 3 years since Alisa has played LB, is he going to walk in and be on the two deep? What does that say about our 2 deep?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

They are all green at the 2 deep. Alisa has more experience that the RMs just getting home.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

scott715 wrote:They are all green at the 2 deep. Alisa has more experience that the RMs just getting home.
Alisal will not see the light of day at RB. This is his best shot to get PT. He may or may not make the 2 deep unless injuries occur...wait......injuries always occur........and suspensions......linebackers were dropping like flies at the end of 2013 and Unga was playing injured.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

stgeorgefan wrote:I had a different take on the article. I think our LB's will be average. I really like our CB and S positions, and I think they are the key to a improved defense next year.
2 things to chew on; Kafusi being rumored to go through spring ball at OLB. Alisa possibly moving to LB. If our returning guys were so good then why move Kafusi, why add Alisa? It's been 3 years since Alisa has played LB, is he going to walk in and be on the two deep? What does that say about our 2 deep?
Define average. Average would have our linebackers ranked about 60th or worse in D1. They will be better than that.

Last edited by Cougarbib on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Bib, please explain what you mean by 6th.
But I think you are right. Alisa wouldn't see time at RB.

And why is BK playing LB? He's fast but not fast enough to cover RBs. Is he going to line up as a hybrid DE/OLB pash rusher in space? A fourth lineman coming off the edge rather than chewing up blocks like he was confined most of the time last year in the modified 2-5-4 D? Has he put his foot down and said he has to prepare himself for NFL by playing a DE in a 4-3 set up? Or are the LBs that thin/weak? Very interesting to see what spring ball shows. Maybe he should have played hoops to keep his weight down and speed up. We shall see.