Bullish or Sheepish?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bullish or Sheepish?

Post by SpiffCoug »

Just like over/under or buy/sell, are you bullish or sheepish on:

BYU's ability to replace the playmaking of KVN and Sorenson on defense?

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Stirfry
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Bullish or Sheepish?

Post by Stirfry »

SpiffCoug wrote:Just like over/under or buy/sell, are you bullish or sheepish on:

I've been surprised at how little talk there's been of the hole that Sorenson is going to leave. I'm more concerned about him than I am about KVN.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

Stirfry wrote:
SpiffCoug wrote:Just like over/under or buy/sell, are you bullish or sheepish on:

I've been surprised at how little talk there's been of the hole that Sorenson is going to leave. I'm more concerned about him than I am about KVN.
I am in this camp as well. The guy was a flat out playmaker. A special teams beast as well. That might possibly be the area the team will feel his loss the most.

HoosierCougar
Junior

Post by HoosierCougar »

I agree with the special teams play for sure. I'm bullish on Craig Bills to fill in the gap in the secondary, as long as he avoids another concussion. I like the thought of Bills and Rob Daniel as the starting safties behind tough as nails cover corners. If they can delay an opening another 1-2 seconds, our front 7 will have time to make plays they couldn't last year.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I'm Bullish, because of 2 words. Bronco Mendenhall. Dude simply knows how to coach a defense.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Baaa. ;)

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
IowaCougar
Junior

Post by IowaCougar »

Moo..?

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

IowaCougar wrote:Moo..?
:lol: I don't mean to say Bronco may not still put together a very good defense, but you don't replace a once in a generation line backer like KVN that easily. I believe the question was about replacing the play making ability. Which new player is going to fill out the stat sheet like KVN and almost single handedly win a bowl game? I don't necessarily see any of the current players doing it, but with a very good defense you don't really have to. Bronco creates very good defenses.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

The BYU defense lost several key contributors and special teams lost a couple plus Hoffman and Falslev. We have at least 3 good linebackers to replace, at least 2 good defensive linemen, plus Sorensen on defense. They will usually not be replaced by a better player at the same position. A few will be replaced by someone with different strengths and wraknesses, but as good. Some will be replaced by a lesser player. But we will improve quality and depth in the DBs and collectively, the defense will be nearly as good if not as good. Kicking game - not as good. Offense - better.

Overall - same or better with an easier schedule. 9 or more wins unless Hill goes down.

But - no. We will not have an outside linebacker step in and immediately play at the level of KVN. Ditto Sorenson on special teams.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
cscoug
BLUEshirt

Post by cscoug »

I'm very sheepish on the linebackers overall. With Fua the only significant returner, we lose a lot at the most important part of the 3-4 defense. I like Fua, but I want to see how good he is without KVN on the other side. Hopefully, Bronson will turn out to be a gem. Even more concerning are the MLBs. Bronco's defense is predicated on being stout up the middle, and we have nobody that is proven there. Pikula looks lik he may turn out well, I've always like JLD's potential, Stout and Heder sounded promising in spring ball, but we just don't know.

Because the middle is so import, our MLB or safety is usually the coach on the field, ala Unga, Ogletree, or Andrew Rich. We don't have that this, unless Craig Bills can pull it off. Production aside, this on-the-field captain is very important, and it has me worried because we don't know who, if anybody, will fill it.

Aside from the leadership, I feel confident the safeties will work out. Bills is a known. Daniel showed a lot at corner last year, and I like him at safety. I feel good about Leavitt.

Just hope the LBs work out...