Rumor Transfer from Nebraska

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Rumor Transfer from Nebraska

Post by Cougarbib »

byucougar1 wrote:My take on this is that his arrival may allow him to be the nickel back and would add to the speed and physicality of the secondary...Trammel, Johnson, Daniel, Bills and potentially Jackson. This is the third one and done transfer early graduate that is starting a trend of good athletes with very good academic talent coming to BYU: Leslee (UTEP WR), Nelson (Stanford PR/DB), and now Jackson (NE Safety/DB).

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Makes you wonder what happened to the ND transfer. He seems to have dropped off the depth chart even with a reported lack of depth.

Every once in a while you get a Uani Unga or Taysom Hill that contributes. Sometimes a Riley Nelson that is a mixed bag of good and bad, and sometimes you get not so much.

I look forward to seeing these 3 transfers plus Badger show what they have got. Then I will get excited.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

byucougar1 wrote: This is the third one and done transfer early graduate that is starting a trend of good athletes with very good academic talent coming to BYU: Leslee (UTEP WR), Nelson (Stanford PR/DB), and now Jackson (NE Safety/DB).

My guess is this trend won't last much beyond this year. I'm guessing that the unique scollie crunch imposed by the drop in mission age has a lot to do with the availability of short-term (1-2 yr) football scholarships.

But good on Martzen for recognizing that there was a surplus of scholarships this year and finding opportunities to use that resource.

I just don't expect this to be a continuing thing. That said, it often takes a surge/splash to create a reputation. Even if this just leads to 1 solid transfer every other year, that will be an added benefit of the short term fix for our mission/scholarship dilemma.

There's an interview with Jackson http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=2&c=13 ... 93545.html, but it's behind a pay wall and I don't have access. But he is indeed tripping to see Provo.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/l ... f887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to the recruiting site, Jackson planned to arrive to Provo on Sunday and tour the area until Tuesday.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

scott715 wrote:http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/l ... f887a.html

According to the recruiting site, Jackson planned to arrive to Provo on Sunday and tour the area until Tuesday.
He has reportedly received a scholarship offer now.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Cougarbib wrote:
byucougar1 wrote:My take on this is that his arrival may allow him to be the nickel back and would add to the speed and physicality of the secondary...Trammel, Johnson, Daniel, Bills and potentially Jackson. This is the third one and done transfer early graduate that is starting a trend of good athletes with very good academic talent coming to BYU: Leslee (UTEP WR), Nelson (Stanford PR/DB), and now Jackson (NE Safety/DB).

Makes you wonder what happened to the ND transfer. He seems to have dropped off the depth chart even with a reported lack of depth.

Every once in a while you get a Uani Unga or Taysom Hill that contributes. Sometimes a Riley Nelson that is a mixed bag of good and bad, and sometimes you get not so much.

I look forward to seeing these 3 transfers plus Badger show what they have got. Then I will get excited.

I was hoping that badger would get some mentions from spring practice.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Sounds like we got him. Welcome to the Y.

Do we get to add these transfers to our recruiting ranking?

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Link?

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Fired up to welcome the freak @he_number1 to the Cougars secondary!
— Geoff Martzen (@geoffmartzen) April 17, 2014

Read more at http://www.loyalcougars.com/2014/04/17/ ... vUcfh2c.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;