OT: Jake Heaps loses starting job to Cozart

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: OT: Jake Heaps loses starting job to Cozart

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Stirfry wrote:
hawkwing wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:Mars, just wondering why you believe that the new Qb will be any better than Jake (which shouldn't be hard to do). Cozart, and KU, are going to struggle based on his stats last year http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... ell-cozart" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The guy averaged well under 50% completion rate.

And hawk, thank you for so kindly providing your permission to disagree. For the record I do disagree with you. Jake Heaps was a decent o-line, and some much needed confidence away from being a decent-good FBS QB. Certainly had the arm and the proper training. I was genuinely excited to see him in BYU blue his first couple games and imagining what was in his future. We all know that got derailed and he became a psych case WITHOUT an offensive line. Guy was the closest thing we've had in years to getting a win in utah WITH broken ribs.

This is coming from a Riley Nelson fan who believed that Jake should have been playing second fiddle from day one to Nelson. I didn't like what was reported about Jake's attitude, his blaming of everyone else on the team, his entitlement problem and that he left when he could have stuck around and been much better at BYU than he would ever be at KU. BUT, it doesn't change that he obviously had enough skills to be successful as a QB with the right tools around him and some mental help.
You're welcome.

The problem with only being an offensive line away from being adequate is that there is no offensive line in the country that can stop all pressure and Heaps cannot handle any pressure from the FBS level talent. I think he'd do much better against the smaller, slower guys in FCS, but even on Alabama I think he'd struggle behind that line.
He finished the second half of his freshman year 5-1 with 13 touchdowns vs 2 interceptions and threw for nearly 1,300 yard and was the MVP of the bowl game. He also was the only BYU QB to win a bowl game as a freshman.

There's a big range from the SEC to the former WAC and everyone in that range is "FBS." I have no doubt that with the right coach on the right team he could have been a "successfull" qb in the eyes of some team between SEC and WAC.

However by the time he left it clearly wasn't BYU.
Dude, you are totally right.
Haters are going to hate.
Those in denial are going to forget.
Those revisionistas are going to horribilize and rewrite any good right out of their irrelevant personal history books and memory banks.
Heaps had more bad stats and legacy than good, but he did have good.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

cougs_rule,

I generally don't agree with you when it comes to heaps, but I do today. Heaps had some great moments, and some awful moments. To simply believe he never was any good and could have never amounted to anything is like saying that Steve Young would never make it as a NFL QB after his stint with tampa bay.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Heaps was positioned to be one of the greats. He had a very strong finish to his freshman year (as stated above, 5-1 record, great TD:INT ratio, pretty good PER - 152) and everyone had no reason to believe his career wouldn't have continued.

But none of us knew how divided the staff was - and it turns out his biggest supporter on the staff left.

None of knew that Heaps was basically going to take the summer off and not workout with the team, preferring instead to workout on his own, with his own trainer.

None of us knew how divided the team was. None of us knew that Heaps not being around was going to open the door for petty politicking by teammates who were working out with the team.

None of us knew how awful the coaching would turn out to be.

A comedy of errors and a perfect storm of incompetence by everyone involved led to his demise. He was mismanaged by his handlers, his coaches, his own decisions and his own performance on the field when it mattered most.

It's not revisionist to say he stunk in 2011 and deserved to lose his job. His awful play and inability to bring the team together over the summer erased all the good will he had earned at the end of that good stretch of play that was never to be repeated.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Heaps isn't a leader.

His idea of leading was being the best player on the field. There were too many moving parts his sophmore year. The team needed a leader.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

SpiffCoug wrote:Heaps was positioned to be one of the greats. He had a very strong finish to his freshman year (as stated above, 5-1 record, great TD:INT ratio, pretty good PER - 152) and everyone had no reason to believe his career wouldn't have continued.

But none of us knew how divided the staff was - and it turns out his biggest supporter on the staff left.

None of knew that Heaps was basically going to take the summer off and not workout with the team, preferring instead to workout on his own, with his own trainer.

None of us knew how divided the team was. None of us knew that Heaps not being around was going to open the door for petty politicking by teammates who were working out with the team.

None of us knew how awful the coaching would turn out to be.

A comedy of errors and a perfect storm of incompetence by everyone involved led to his demise. He was mismanaged by his handlers, his coaches, his own decisions and his own performance on the field when it mattered most.

It's not revisionist to say he stunk in 2011 and deserved to lose his job. His awful play and inability to bring the team together over the summer erased all the good will he had earned at the end of that good stretch of play that was never to be repeated.
Well said.
Except, I did call a divided coaching staff and a divided team.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Broken Record

Go look who that 5-1 finish was against.

More importantly, divided locker rooms and bad coaching are not what made Heaps avoid even trying to make a tackle on his own pick 6 more than once starting with AFA or avoid diving on a bad snap or cower in anticipation of being tackled even when there was no tackle.

Vs mediocre and bad teams, Heaps was fine. Vs good teams, he was not. I think the cracked ribs vs Utah took a huge toll.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Cougarbib wrote:Broken Record

More importantly, divided locker rooms and bad coaching are not what made Heaps avoid even trying to make a tackle on his own pick 6 more than once starting with AFA or avoid diving on a bad snap or cower in anticipation of being tackled even when there was no tackle.

Vs mediocre and bad teams, Heaps was fine. Vs good teams, he was not. I think the cracked ribs vs Utah took a huge toll.

What's your point?
Oh and you forgot " he hung Apo out over the middle all the time"

Pick somewhere else to hate. Your schtick is a broken record.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Gunk wrote:Heaps isn't a leader.

His idea of leading was being the best player on the field. There were too many moving parts his sophmore year. The team needed a leader.

Yep. He was far too immature to walk in and take over the reigns. And being soft as butter obviously did not help his cause. On any other team I'm sure he would've been cussed out after not hustling to make a play on the INT.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:Broken Record

What's your point?
Oh and you forgot " he hung Apo out over the middle all the time"

Pick somewhere else to hate. Your schtick is a broken record.
My first sentence was meant to acknowledge, that like you and others, I was going to bring out my broken record comments. Other than that, my points were quite clear.

I do not hate Jake Heaps at all. I am the guy that thought he should have stayed. It is time for Jake Heaps and his fans to quit blaming others for his shortcomings. It is more likely than not, that Jake will see the field again. If he does, I hope he plays like he really wants to be a football player showing a lot of courage and grit.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Bib, you are so one track--and always have been-- that you are arguing the very thing that few if any are currently. Any pushback in this thread was not to "blame others" it was to shift away from the all or nothing, horrible-izing and rewriting history. It wasn't all bad. And that out intent to point out a few good things.