A Crucial Element to being a Great Running Back

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: A Crucial Element to being a Great Running Back

Post by frdbtr »

My recollection was that Max hall became fixated on his 2 favorite receivers during Unga's sophomore and JR years. Especially during Collie's swan song, Max would watch Collie for most of his route then check down to Pitta and throw the ball.

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

frdbtr wrote:My recollection was that Max hall became fixated on his 2 favorite receivers during Unga's sophomore and JR years. Especially during Collie's swan song, Max would watch Collie for most of his route then check down to Pitta and throw the ball.
I think Collie left after the 2008 season--the Jr year for him, Max, and Pitta and Harvey's Soph year. The 2009 season was Unga's Jr year, and Sr years for Max and Dennis--last year played for all of them.
2010 was the start of the Riley/Heaps struggle, which was accentuated by the team not having ANY high quality players with leadership and game experience. Harvey not being around for 2010 was a factor; the way he left had a bit of a demoralizing and unstablizing effect as well. But that's the topic of the other thread.

I was sure, Mars, that you were going to point to lack of fumbles in your OP as the "crucial element to being a great RB". The fact that Curtis Brown only fumbled once after his frosh year is astounding!!

Anyone know what the fumble/FL tallies are for Harvey and Jamaal?

And what were the numbers for Fui? I'd love to get back to a Vakapuna/Tonga duo--still my favorite Mendenhall-era backfield. Those guys were thunder and lightning, and a big part of the success of the 2006 team (Fui's injury-free Soph season).

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

CrimsonCoug wrote: I was sure, Mars, that you were going to point to lack of fumbles in your OP as the "crucial element to being a great RB". The fact that Curtis Brown only fumbled once after his frosh year is astounding!! Anyone know what the fumble/FL tallies are for Harvey and Jamaal?

And what were the numbers for Fui? I'd love to get back to a Vakapuna/Tonga duo--still my favorite Mendenhall-era backfield. Those guys were thunder and lightning, and a big part of the success of the 2006 team (Fui's injury-free Soph season).

I think that JJ DiLuigi had 7 (?) fumbles, and Jamaal has only fumbled once, with no lost fumbles. Maybe Harvey around four? But those are "off-the-top-of-my-head" stats, not real, hard stats.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote:
CrimsonCoug wrote: I was sure, Mars, that you were going to point to lack of fumbles in your OP as the "crucial element to being a great RB". The fact that Curtis Brown only fumbled once after his frosh year is astounding!! Anyone know what the fumble/FL tallies are for Harvey and Jamaal?

I think that JJ DiLuigi had 7 (?) fumbles, and Jamaal has only fumbled once, with no lost fumbles. Maybe Harvey around four? But those are "off-the-top-of-my-head" stats, not real, hard stats.
Diluigi had 9 fumbles over his career and lost 5 according to cougarstats.com. Harvey had 8 fumbles and lost 4. So far Jamaal Williams has had 2 fumbles and hasn't lost one. Kid just doesn't put the ball on the ground which IMO is his best trait.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

One thing I also like about Jamaal is his ability to find the endzone.

Percentages of BYU RB carries which terminate with a touchdown:
Luke Staley: 9.8%
Ronny Jenkins: 6.3%
Jamal Willis: 6.1%
Brian McKenzie: 6.0%
Pete Van Valkenburg: 5.3%
Harvey Unga: 5.2%
Jamaal Williams: 5.0%
Lakei Heimuli: 5.0%
Curtis Brown: 4.8%
Taysom Hill: 4.7%
JJ DiLuigi: 4.0%
Jeff Blanc: 3.4%

I expect both Taysom and Jamaal to get into the endzone more frequently than they did last year to improve this stat.

I could totally see Jamaal getting closer to his 7.2% number in 2012 than his 3.2% number last year.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

I don't know, Spiff. I think Jamaal benefitted his Freshman year by not having to be the every-down back. That meant he got carries better attuned to his particular gifts, and less wear on his body. He also wasn't asked to be the 3rd and short guy. He had all of those things last year, and I don't know that it will change. Maybe if we really get the passing game to open up, then it could free up Jamaal a bit for some longer runs. But he's still going to share 3rd and short with Lasike a lot, and Anae has described his offense for this year as using the run to set up the pass, rather than using the pass to set up the run.

I expect Jamaal's numbers to increase, but that 50% drop in TD productivity is likely due to things beyond his control.

These numbers do illustrate how phenomenal Staley was. I had no idea he was 33% more productive than the next best guy on the list. Wow.

Respect for THill up on the list as a QB, and clearly clumped with the midrange of the best RBs, rather than the next tier down.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

In 2001, Staley actually average more yards per carry and fewer carries per TD than Barry Sanders in 1988. That 2001 season was simply phenomenal.

I think Jamaal's reduction in TD production was more due to BYU's utter lack of a consistent Blue Zone attack. BYU struggled so mightily in the Blue Zone last year it's comical.

BYU only had 13 Blue Zone rushing TDs last year. 8 fewer than 2012.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote:In 2001, Staley actually average more yards per carry and fewer carries per TD than Barry Sanders in 1988. That 2001 season was simply phenomenal.

I think Jamaal's reduction in TD production was more due to BYU's utter lack of a consistent Blue Zone attack. BYU struggled so mightily in the Blue Zone last year it's comical.

They didn't know what plays to call in the blue zone because they knew the line couldn't block for whatever play they called. It was like throwing darts at a dart board and see what happens.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

SpiffCoug wrote:In 2001, Staley actually average more yards per carry and fewer carries per TD than Barry Sanders in 1988. That 2001 season was simply phenomenal.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, SOS is a factor in 2012 result for JW being better than 2013. It is not the only factor. Being the work horse and getting beat up and getting concussions takes a toll. Supporting cast also matters as does playcalling.

But I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that our kinder, gentler opponents in 2014 will enable JW to improve YPC and Carries Per TD ratio to improve well over 10% in 2014 vs 2013. Well over.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.