BYU and the AAC/MWC

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU and the AAC/MWC

Post by BroncoBot »

ABYUFAN wrote:I think that we'd be crazy to leave the WCC. This conference is full of great schools in great locations and some have good basketball teams. If we're currently scheduling football games with the AAC and can make an arrangement to continue to do so, I would wholeheartedly welcome that, but not if changing our basketball and other sports arrangement with the WCC. The AAC is a good conference in basketball, better than our current conference, but not as good of a fit given our proximity to WCC schools.

PS it does a heart proud to hear the Utes give arena smack in our WCC alignment. For the entire history of the universe the Utes always said “Arena smak is lame lame lame and only a moron would use it when we bragged that our stadium and gym hold way more than theirs. Now, even though their arena still holds about half of ours, but they think that they, by making fun of the arenas of others, somehow makes them and their UGLY COMMUNIST STYLE arena better than ours
Altered your quote and completely agree.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

I would absolutely love a 4 or 5 game scheduling affiliation with the American, especially if it included access to bowl affiliations and basketball.

It would actually be a great balance to have 4 AAC opponents, 4-5 MWC opponents (Utah St., Boise St., plus 2 or 3 of UNLV, Hawaii, SJSU, Fresno St., Nevada, etc.) and 4 P5 opponents (see USC, Stanford, Cal, Utah in November...other P5's in September).

BYU should play in Texas or Florida every other year, regardless, and the AAC affiliation would deliver that with the UCF/USF and SMU/Houston tandems. Occasional games with Cincinnati, Navy, Uconn, and ECU would be fun. Memphis, Tulane, and Temple help to balance out the schedule, without having to play Savannah St. in November (uck!).

I don't think a full membership deal with Olympic sports makes sense for BYU, simply because of geography.

I would propose a 4-game deal, with 2 games in Provo and 2 in AAC territory to be played in October and November. The AAC-affiliated bowls could also select BYU. This would include the Hawaii and Armed Forces bowls, as well as games in Orlando and Tampa (I don't think Birmingham would be that attractive for either BYU or the Compass Bowl). BYU could also get option deals with the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego and the nameless Fight Hunger bowl, now in Santa Clara, against PAC 12 and MWC opponents.

Similarly, a 4-game-per-year deal with AAC basketball, 2 in Provo, 2 in AAC territory (as long as UConn, Cincy, Houston, and Temple are regulars in the rotation).

That works for me!

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

For what it's worth, an AAC affiliation would fit in nicely starting in 2016 (and note that Indiana just bought out its 2015 and 2016 games with South Florida):

BYU Upcoming schedules:

Arizona (Glendale, AZ)
at Utah
West Virginia (Landover, MD)
at Boise St.
* (USF)
* (at Tulane)
* (SMU)
at Cincinnati
Southern Miss
Utah St.

BYU would just need two more games and has a September and no MWC opponents other than Boise and USU.

Utah
California
* (at Tulsa)
at Utah St.
Boise St.
* (BYE)
at ECU
SJSU
at Fresno St.
* (Navy)
* (Houston)
at Hawaii

BYU would just need one other game, with a September opening.

at Arizona
at Wisconsin
* (at Tulane)
Utah St.
* (UCF)
at Boise St.
* (at ECU)
* (UConn)
Hawaii
at Utah

BYU would just need two more games, with two opening in September.

mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

I would be fine with a scheduling agreement with the American, but I would do whatever it takes to get a deal with the Big 12.

BYU should sign a deal to play 3 road games and 2 home games against every Big 12 team in both football and basketball over a 10 year period. In return, BYU would get access to all the Big 12 affiliated bowl games outside of the major bowls. BYU would give half of their bowl revenue to the conference and not participate in the bowl revenue sharing of the conference.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Not a bad idea. Would it lower or increase the chance to become a full member in the future?

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

The AAC bowls aren't any better than what is already scheduled outside the Compass Bowl (SEC opponent), Beef O'Brady (ACC every other year), and Armed Forces (Big12 starting 2016 every other year).

Also, any one of the AAC teams would go to a P5 conference (just like BYU). And the teams worth a contract with the AAC (UCF, USF, UConn, Cincinnati, Houston, SMU and ECU), can be mostly had without a formal ND style contract. The only one you might lose out on is Navy.

I'd like 2 games in California and 1 game in Texas yearly as well as a game in the Southeast every other year. I think four games a year with the AAC is one too many.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams