BYU and the AAC/MWC

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
NBPirate
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU and the AAC/MWC

Post by NBPirate »

We're having a discussion on the AAC boards regarding BYU and the AAC. We've come to notice that BYU's scheduling is pretty much split 50/50 with the AAC and MWC.

Your AD has made statements before about scheduling difficulty late in the year and bowl agreements.

How would a Notre Dame type of scheduling agreement for football and other sports in the AAC be received among BYU fans?

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: BYU and the AAC/MWC

Post by Cougarbib »

4 games - home and away - November.

That would be better than what we have been getting in November. The only issue I would have with such an arrangement, would be the wear and tear of the long road trips on both teams.

Maybe a 3-way deal would be better. BYU vs 2 MWC and 2 AAC and 2 AAC vs MWC games every November. Maybe a Saturday - Thursday arrangement so coast 2 coast traveling teams could make 1 trip and play 2 games. Then create a shared Bowl arrangement matching the 2 best teams from the pool - AAC, BYU, MWC - with an out if a team makes the playoffs or a bowl with a higher payout.

Alternatively

BYU could do a deal with AAC for 3-4 games a year and a separate deal with MWC for 3-4 games a year all in October / November and then BYU could round up 4-6 September / October games each year with Big 12 and PAC teams mainly with occasional Big 10, ACC, or SEC teams mixed in.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'd even be willing to trade a football home game for a couple AAC bball teams coming to Provo every year.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I think it would be fairly well received, as long as it wasn't too many games a season.

NBPirate
Gray Shirt

Post by NBPirate »

hawkwing wrote:I think it would be fairly well received, as long as it wasn't too many games a season.
Right now you guys are playing 4 a season vs the AAC

I know you have series with:

ECU
UConn
UCF
Cincy
Houston

I think a 4 or 5 team rotation schedule would make sense. Getting BYU some exposure on TV in high population centers of the east coast during east coast time.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I'm fine with a football affiliation (4 games a year), especially if a deal is made to help with some basketball scheduling as well. Seems like a Win/Win (fun/freedom of independence, ease/security of conference ties). This would be great for November especially. Not sure how BYU admin or the WCC would feel about that, but I'm not sure it's ever been proposed to them yet either.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
NBPirate
Gray Shirt

Post by NBPirate »

If it came down to it, and basketball was included in the deal, would BYU choose an affiliation with the MWC or the AAC?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I like playing AAC teams. Maybe one road game in late Sept/early Oct and one in Nov. I think we all need to work together for more exposure and better bowl games.

imuakahuku
All-American

Post by imuakahuku »

I know the travel would be brutal for reg season games but I would rather our bball move to AAC than stay wcc. The wcc is just way too top heavy. And it appears to me that we were on the verge of becoming a west coast power but we seem to be playng down to the conference. I will admit that as a whole the wcc was better this year but they still trail the power conf by a mile. Our last year in the Mwc the conf as a whole was stronger than some of them. And Utah was still weak then. It was too bad the Mwc had to be too difficult to deal with.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

I think that we'd be crazy to leave the WCC. This conference is full of great schools in great locations and some have good basketball teams. If we're currently scheduling football games with the AAC and can make an arrangement to continue to do so, I would wholeheartedly welcome that, but not if changing our basketball and other sports arrangement with the WCC. The AAC is a good conference in basketball, better than our current conference, but not as good of a fit given our proximity to WCC schools.

PS it does a heart proud to hear the Utes give arena smack in our WCC alignment. For the entire history of the universe the Utes always said “Arena smak is lame lame lame and only a moron would use it when we bragged that our stadium and gym hold way more than theirs. Now, even though their arena still holds about half of ours, but they think that they, by making fun of the arenas of others, somehow makes them and their cute little arena better than ours