Recruiting Graduate Transfers

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Recruiting Graduate Transfers

Post by scott715 »

http://lawlessrepublic.com/2014/04/18/b ... transfers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... -need.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.loyalcougars.com/2014/04/17/ ... -big-2014/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some thoughts on BYU going the transfer route. Is it a sign of a change in recruiting?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Re: Recruiting Graduate Transfers

Post by SpiffCoug »

I don't think it's a new route as much as a sign that previous classes of recruits didn't have enough players turn into significant contributors. Each class needs to produce much more than the 2008,2009,2010 classes have done so far.

I take it as a sign that coaches weren't happy with the players already in the program.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Maybe the change is this:

Last year, Bronco made comments about a shift back away from committing almost all scholarships to players a year or two away from graduation and to a plan of holding a few more scholarships in reserve for late signings.

It is very risky to bet so early on players because BYU cannot exactly say never mind when one of those players does not continue to progress, but the ones that exceed initial expectations can open up their own recruiting and consider other alternatives.

Specific to these 1 and done transfers that can play immediately - this could be even better than looking for JUCO players when an immediate need is a one-year need.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

No. The predominant driving force behind this is BYU having a short term glut of available scholarships due to the shift in mission age. While those kids who would have gone at 19 are now going at 18, BYU has extra scholarship capacity for 1 year and 2 year slots. I credit the staff with recognizing this short term asset and Geoff Martzen with finding a way to use it effectively.

As the wrinkles from the mission age shift get ironed out, I don't expect this to be a long term trend. Maybe a few now and again if these work out, but by and large this is a 1-time thing.

That said, I think Bib's point below on the asymmetry of the strength of commitment in the player/school relationship is interesting; I don't think it affects the trend in grad transfers, but to the degree that Bronco sees today's teenagers as unable to keep a commitment, I do think it affects the overall philosophy in scholarship timing.
Cougarbib wrote:Maybe the change is this:

It is very risky to bet so early on players because BYU cannot exactly say never mind when one of those players does not continue to progress, but the ones that exceed initial expectations can open up their own recruiting and consider other alternatives.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://deepshadesofblue.com/bronco-lean ... of+Blue%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The recruitment of non LDS kids.