Are we really that deep at defensive back this year?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Are we really that deep at defensive back this year?

Post by jonnylingo »

Everybody keeps saying how stacked and talented we are at defensive back this year. i often hear people say we are the most talented and deepest we have every been. I am just not seeing it.

jordan johnson and trammel are both coming off of serious injuries. whether they are fully back and whether they can stay healthy are real concerns.

who is behind them? Sam Lee? I doubt he ever even plays. Povey? I know he was playing injured last year but with all due respect to him, which is a lot, he is quite limited. Robertson Daniel. He is good but not better or as good as Sorenson who we are are losing. it is not even clear if he will being playing corner or safety. leavitt, he can be really good and will be but not yet. badger. sounds like he isn't that great.

I am just trying to figure out why everybody keeps saying we are so deep.

i guess with bills trammel and johnson all healthy and all playing we will be a lot better. but that is a question mark and the back ups i don't think are anything special.

there is a reason that harvey was brought in. bronco said we had a problem with depth at safety. Harvey knew he might get to play if he came to byu.

i just hope that johnson comes back as good as he was and stays healthy. if he does then our starters should look pretty good. i think leavitt is going to be a great nickel guy this year, he will be mike hague but better.

i assume that we are excited about having trammel and johnson and bills with daniels playing safety. that does sound like a great set of dbs. but depth surely is an issue. we still are not deep. if sam lee can't play and if johnson isn't quite himself or healthy then daniel will have to play corner which leaves us with issues at safety. glad the harvey kids is on his way.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Are we really that deep at defensive back this year?

Post by jvquarterback »

BYU has good nickel options if everyone is healthy. That's better than ever before.

You're right though. Just like every other year BYU isn't deep at any DB position.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

They are deep enough to give borrowed 2013 players back to their normal spots. We are returning at least 1 receiver. We are letting safeties borrowed to play corner return to play safety. We have more bodies. If any of the wounded from last year make it onto the field, that will be an improvement.

When I say we are way better than last year, how could we not be? We were decimated last year. Even Sorensen missed some games, iirc.

When I say we are better than normal - that just means DB will be a smaller liability than it normally is.

BYU gets very few legit NFL safeties and fewer corners. When we get one that makes the NFL, it is not a 1st round pick. So, no, this will not be an SEC backfield. It will be a better one than our typical WAC, MWC, and Indy cast of characters.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

And for all his talk, wasn't it Trammel who got beat and dragged 10 yards for a TD by Terryn Hauk in the Spring Game? Watching that highlight on the BYUTV Sports interviews, the DB looked...well, like BYU DBs usually look. Beat.

I agree about being underwhelmed by PoVey.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

CrimsonCoug wrote:And for all his talk, wasn't it Trammel who got beat and dragged 10 yards for a TD by Terryn Hauk in the Spring Game? Watching that highlight on the BYUTV Sports interviews, the DB looked...well, like BYU DBs usually look. Beat.

I agree about being underwhelmed by PoVey.
Hopefully Hauk will beat a few DBs in the Fall.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Yes, I think it's mainly about Trammel and JJ being back and healthy. Who knows if they're lockdown corners, but it's safe to say they're better cover guys than what we had last season.

NDCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by NDCougar »

Numbers are good, but can any of these guys cover anyone? That is the question.

Anything on Badger? I have heard relatively little about him since he transferred in the media and (honestly) have not followed the spring activity too much as it is not always a clear indicator.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

He's been quiet so that is not a good sign.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

sounds to me like badger will be a special teams this year. hopefully he will be a contributor and possible starter in 2015.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Danny Sorenson said in today's DesNews piece that the secondary is deeper this year than it ever was while he was at BYU.