Scheduling proceeding in a positive manner

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Scheduling proceeding in a positive manner

Post by Fido »

Tom Holmoe @TomHolmoe
Folks, I feel like scheduling is proceeding in a positive manner. I suggest you not react to every press release as if it's final.
6:30 PM - 12 May 2014
I get the feeling that long term Holmoe is starting to get things lined up the way he wants but there will still be some disappointing schedules (like 2014) that must be endured in this process. I just wish he shared more about what is going on with the future schedules. I'm sure there are things that continue to be in negotiations or responses to continuing change (like if BYU counts towards the P5 games conferences are requiring). Am I just being overly optimistic?

Wolverine
Senior

Re: Scheduling proceeding in a positive manner

Post by Wolverine »

Fido wrote:
Tom Holmoe @TomHolmoe
Folks, I feel like scheduling is proceeding in a positive manner. I suggest you not react to every press release as if it's final.
6:30 PM - 12 May 2014
I get the feeling that long term Holmoe is starting to get things lined up the way he wants but there will still be some disappointing schedules (like 2014) that must be endured in this process. I just wish he shared more about what is going on with the future schedules. I'm sure there are things that continue to be in negotiations or responses to continuing change (like if BYU counts towards the P5 games conferences are requiring). Am I just being overly optimistic?
I am not sure why anyone would label the 2014 schedule "disappointing". True, it isn't off the charts "sexy" in any way, but I don't think it's sorely "lacking" at all considering the dynamics of being an Independent program. 3 P5 conference opponents, 7 MWC/AAC opponents, 1 C-USA opponent, and 1 FCS opponent. Not much different than the past 30 years. Sure there is only one true historical "blue-blood" (Texas) on the schedule this year, but without doing any in-depth analysis, I would say that is usually the case when a true "blue-blood" is on the schedule. I see solid quality opponents in Boise St., Utah St., Houston, and UCF, and I don't think you can fall asleep at the wheel with @UConn, Virginia, and @ Cal. UNLV and Nevada are nice regional match-ups, and Savannah St. is what it is. I think TH and BM are doing a phenomenal job with scheduling as an Independent in what is an ever-changing landscape in college football.

Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Disappointing in that we had 6 P5 teams on the schedule last year and have half that this year. If we play 75% G5 games then it is hard to claim we deserve to be in the P5 ranks.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Fido wrote:Disappointing in that we had 6 P5 teams on the schedule last year and have half that this year. If we play 75% G5 games then it is hard to claim we deserve to be in the P5 ranks.
BYU has had less than 3 schedules that even come close to the 2013 schedule in the entire history of BYU Football. If you get disappointed every year we do not have a schedule like 2013, prepare yourself for a lot of disappointment.

And when BYU does get a schedule like 2013 or Detmer's senior season - expect 8 wins.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

Cougarbib wrote:
Fido wrote:Disappointing in that we had 6 P5 teams on the schedule last year and have half that this year. If we play 75% G5 games then it is hard to claim we deserve to be in the P5 ranks.
BYU has had less than 3 schedules that even come close to the 2013 schedule in the entire history of BYU Football. If you get disappointed every year we do not have a schedule like 2013, prepare yourself for a lot of disappointment.

And when BYU does get a schedule like 2013 or Detmer's senior season - expect 8 wins.

So then what you are saying is independence has had no change in improving the football schedule, right?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

When ranking seasons by opponent's winning percentage, Detmer's senior season ranks 16th (going all the back to 1972 - so 42 seasons). Of the 15 seasons more difficult, five of them have come under Bronco.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by stuckinbig10country »

This game is a disappointment only because of the lack of big names. There is a team that won a BCS game on the schedule this year. There are a bunch of 8 win teams on the schedule. It's the lack of names, not the lack of good opponents that makes it disappointing in large portions.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

SpiffCoug wrote:When ranking seasons by opponent's winning percentage, Detmer's senior season ranks 16th (going all the back to 1972 - so 42 seasons). Of the 15 seasons more difficult, five of them have come under Bronco.
. There is more to this than just winning percentage. It is much tougher to get 10 wins I Pl conferences, especially before they started watering down OOC schedules.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Fido wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:

So then what you are saying is independence has had no change in improving the football schedule, right?
it has killed November scheduling. It has given up home field advantage. Best opponents are too often on the road. Un neutral sites. Long road trips. Steep price to pay to book a few big names. Plusses and minuses.

Having said that - BYU football has been fun to watch.

ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Cougarbib wrote:
Fido wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:

it has killed November scheduling. It has given up home field advantage. Best opponents are too often on the road. Un neutral sites. Long road trips. Steep price to pay to book a few big names. Plusses and minuses.

Having said that - BYU football has been fun to watch.

How many people, knowing what we know now would change anything about the decision to go independent? Remember when we left the MWC BSU stepped in and what was the first thing the MWC did? Outlawed BSU's uniforms on their home field, and then watched BSU and SDSU "leave" for the Big East. Only after they "left" Did the MWC change their stupid TV policy that was killing us, and even now, it is not as good of a deal that we have now.

Utah fans seem to like calling BYU's Independence a "knee jerk" reaction to their getting a P 12 invite, and to claim as much is not intellectually honest. (But to say "ute intellectual dishonesty" would be a redundancy) BYU has never been invited to a major conference. It’s two options are MWC or independence. Only an idiot ute fan would consider membership in the current MWC to e as good as or better than independence. And that’s ignoring the fact that the current MWC is better than the MWC that we left.