Scheduling proceeding in a positive manner

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Scheduling proceeding in a positive manner

Post by Mars »

stuckinbig10country wrote:This game is a disappointment only because of the lack of big names. There is a team that won a BCS game on the schedule this year. There are a bunch of 8 win teams on the schedule. It's the lack of names, not the lack of good opponents that makes it disappointing in large portions.
Texas, Boise State, Cal, Virginia, UConn. Not bad names.

The problem is, the good teams are the small-name schools (UCF, USU), and the big-name schools have all been down the past couple seasons.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by jvquarterback »

“The Pac-12 and Big 12 had other issues that were not seemingly in BYU’s best interests. But eventually together we were able to work them out. We haven’t played SEC teams a lot, but I would hate to not have the opportunity if a good game presented itself. We would be better than many of the teams they choose to play in the big five.” - Tom Holmoe
What are the B12 issues that weren't in BYU's best interest? And how were they worked out?

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I'm happy with this years schedule. The problem is in comparing it to last year. The UVA game just took on added significance. I hope we bound them into the ground.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

I am not as worried as everybody else seems to be. I think that teams still have a lot of reason to schedule byu. now if we were included as p5 credit by acc and sec then we would be in higher demand as we would be seen as beatable and it would not hurt them if they lose to us. more likely to get home and homes.

it was a blow but not a body blow to independence.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

I doubt that you will find many, if any, that wish BYU stayed in the MWC. We should continue to schedule some MWC teams, but, BYU had to leave. TV is way better.

You will find plenty of fans wishing BYU was in a P5 conference.

Independence is a reasonable compromise.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I hope some of these teams find problems in trying to get a P5 game on their schedule because no one wants to play that crappy team. Or they negotiate bad terms like a road game with no return. In that case they might go to their commish and ask that BYU be an option.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

Is there anyone besides me that is plum tuckered out from all of this talk now for 3 plus years dealing with things other than actually playing football? I'm tired of listening and seeing proof that currently we are outside the building and looking in. I'm tired of being evaluated on whether we are a team worthy of significant consideration. I understand most of what's happening, but I just want to get back to pure football, of winning games.

I hope we do make it into a conference in some manner because I hate it that after a couple of losses the season only takes on the air of wanting to have a successful season. I like being interested in other teams of whether they win or lose and how that affects BYU in a conference scenario.

I know I'm dreaming somewhat, but it's becoming easier to care to the degree that I once did in following a sport that has been incubator of a lot of fan malcontent.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Posters and fans who have bought into the Ute spin that the BYU schedule sucks, need to put on some big boy pants and think for themselves.
As several have posted, I agree. And I would suggest that This is a great schedule, maybe even ideal. Anyone who thinks that BYU needs to play as tough of a schedule as last year has national championship delusions dancing around in their head.
Someone smarter than me should go back to the 1984 schedule and rank that amongst the hardest schedules BYU has faced. 2014 schedule is tough enough that if BYU were to catch lightning and go undefeated, there would be significant noise in the national landscape discussion.
This is a great schedule. This is going to be an awesome season. Mark my words. And I am not even a member of the church of the undefeated. ;-)
Going forward, I expect schedules like this to be routine. If we can land two P5 schools each season, that is sufficient. BYU will never have the depth to compete consistently against P5 schools. Look what happened with the loss of a few receivers and Hadley last year.
Tom is smart to manage perceptions quickly and with as much clarity as he can given contractual communication constraints. He has done a fairly good job over all using social media to help manage perceptions and further BYU's cause.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

Big 12 scheduling idea:

Tom Holmoe should approach the Big 12 and offer to have an annual 3-game affiliation with the Big 12 with all games in October and November, as follows:

- One game in Provo in November.
- One game at a Big 12 home stadium in October or November
- One "neutral" site game in Arlington, Houston, or San Antonio in October or November

This would essentially be a 2-for-1, but it would get BYU into Texas each year and would help to fill the late season schedule with better games.

Now, to help the BYU bowl situation, in exchange for the (nearly) 2-for-1, BYU would ask to be included in PART of the Big 12's bowl selection process, as follws:

- BYU eligible for selection to the Big 12's non-CFP bowl games (ie, no Sugar Bowl access), based on BYU's ranking.

For instance:
- Top-10 BYU (that isn't involved in the CFP) would be eligible for selection in the Alamo bowl (v. PAC 12 in San Antonio). Once every four years.
- Top-20 BYU would be eligible for Russell Athletic (v. ACC in Orlando) or Texas Bowl (v. SEC in Houston) or Liberty Bowl (v. SEC in Memphis). Twice every four years.
- Top-25 BYU would be eligible for Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl (v. PAC 12 in Arizona). Once every four years.
- Heart of Dallas/Armed Forces (v. C-USA or American)

Note that the ranking wouldn't guarantee BYU the bowl bid, it would make BYU eligible for selection. And, BYU could only be selected once or twice in a four year period (or something like that).

For now, I really think BYU could bring the 2016 and 2018 Poinsettia Bowls into the pot. Eventually, BYU's presence could bring the Las Vegas Bowl into the Big 12/BYU bowl affiliation, if they want it.

The risk to the Big 12 is that BYU could potentially displace Big 12 teams down the chain of bowls. For instance, a top-25 BYU that plays in the BWW Bowl might bump a 7-5 Big 12 team to the Armed Forces Bowl and a 6-6 Big 12 team into the Poinsettia Bowl. But, the BWW would get a top-25 team.

If none of the Big 12 bowls select BYU, even though eligible, BYU just slides into the Poinsettia Bowl - which is no worse than what BYU has in place now. However, I have a hard time seeing some of these Bowls passing on a top-25 BYU (let alone top-10).

The benefits to the Big 12:

- more games in NFL stadiums in Texas (the Oklahoma and Kansas schools would definitely go for this. I even think the Texas-based schools could get excited about it - it's not a conference game that counts in the standings, so true home field isn't as important, but the recruiting exposure is)
- additional game inventory for the Big 12's TV deal
- games in Provo on ESPN.
- vary the schedule occasionally.

With a renewed series against Utah and the upcoming PAC 12 series with the Arizona and California schools, BYU would get 5-6 P5 games on the schedule each year - guaranteed. BYU would also still have 2 or 3 weeks in September to get the Big Ten matchups and occasional ACC/SEC matchup, to get to 7-8 P5 games each year. Then, fill in the gaps with Utah St., Boise St. and other MWC and American opponents and BYU has a legitimate P5 schedule and something to play for during the regular season (bowl destinations).

Here's what the 2016 and 2017 schedules could turn into:

9/3 - v. Arizona, at Glendale, AZ
9/10 - at Utah
9/17 - *Purdue
9/24 - v. West Virginia, at Landover, MD (this could count as Big 12 road or neutral game)
10/1 - *Central Florida
10/8 - *Colorado St.
10/15 - at Boise St.
10/22 - *at Iowa St. (or Iowa St. in Houston, TX)
10/29 - BYE
11/5 - *Oklahoma St.
11/12 - at Cincinnati
11/19 - Southern Miss
11/26 - Utah St.

Home games: Purdue, Central Florida, Colorado St., Oklahoma St., Southern Miss, Utah St.
[Note - no ACC or SEC games needed to make a GREAT schedule].

9/2 - *Nebraska
9/9 - Utah
9/16 - California
9/23 - *v. Baylor - at Arlington, TX
9/29 - at Utah St.
10/7 - Boise St.
10/14 - BYE
10/21 - at ECU
1028 - SJSU
11/4 - at Fresno St.
11/11 - *at Texas Tech
11/18 - *Kansas St.
11/25 - at Hawaii

Home games: Nebraska, Utah, California, Boise St., SJSU, Kansas St.
[Note - no ACC or SEC games needed to make a GREAT schedule].

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I like. Why not Ynot?