Rank the 2014 Schedule (run-off

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Of the games listed, which is the LEAST difficult

vs Virginia (2-10)
33%
vs Nevada (4-8)
67%

Total votes: 30

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Rank the 2014 Schedule (run-off

Post by SpiffCoug »

Ok, we had a tie last week for the 2nd least difficult game. So we'll have a run off between the 2-10 Virginia Cavaliers and the 4-8 Nevada Wolfpack. Both games are in Provo.

I'm sticking with my Virginia pick as I really think BYU is going to be out for blood for last year's performance. And now throw in the ACC's arrogance and BYU should really make a statement.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Rank the 2014 Schedule (run-off

Post by Cougs_Rule »

It's least difficult game. Not, team against which BYU is more motivated.
Bottom of MWC <<<< bottom of ACC.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Correct. But Nevada actually gave BYU a tougher game than Virginia last year.

Virginia did nothing on offense last year vs BYU and only won because of poor offensive play that gave UVA points (safety) and put their offense in great positions to score - their two offensive TDs started on BYU's 13 and BYU's 16 yard line.

I don't see our offense struggling as much at home. But I do see their offense struggling again.

Nevada actually has some offensive fire power that could keep them in the game.

I do think Nevada will likely be my pick for the 3rd easiest game.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Wolverine
Senior

Post by Wolverine »

SpiffCoug wrote:Correct. But Nevada actually gave BYU a tougher game than Virginia last year.

Virginia did nothing on offense last year vs BYU and only won because of poor offensive play that gave UVA points (safety) and put their offense in great positions to score - their two offensive TDs started on BYU's 13 and BYU's 16 yard line.

I don't see our offense struggling as much at home. But I do see their offense struggling again.

Nevada actually has some offensive fire power that could keep them in the game.

I do think Nevada will likely be my pick for the 3rd easiest game.
My initial thought was no way did Nevada give BYU a tougher game than Virginia last year, but upon further review I think that is an accurate observation, albeit by just the nose of the football. BYU had 362 total yards and possessed the ball for 25:51 while Virginia had 223 yards and T.O.P. was 34:09. Against Nevada it was BYU 492 and 24:23, Nevada 363 and 35:37. That Virginia game was a complete abomination in my opinion considering the weather, first game, lengthy road trip, new O-system, etc. I voted for Virginia being this year's tougher game just because I think (no facts to back this up disclaimer) that Virginia has to have the better athletes and depth across the board.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

Both at home so that cancels. UVA gets top 25 recruiting classes. Nevada, not so much. UVA is the tougher game because they have the talent to beat us. Nevada will only win if we beat ourselves.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I had originally voted for Nevada in the original vote, but upon further I've decided to change my vote to Virginia. Yes, they are both poor teams and fairly evenly matched, but what tips the scale to Virginia for me is the long travel and altitude. Neither of which will be a factor for Nevada. Teams can do things to overcome the effects of these, but I don't see Virginia being that disciplined.

So Virginia.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

Picked Nevada but UNLV will be easier than both.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

We lost to Virginia and beat Nevada. The numbers are products of the team, the weather, and the time of year the game was played (not all are equal factors, but all are factors) The team we lost to on the road last year cannot be "easier" this year than the team we beat on the road last year

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

hawkwing wrote:I had originally voted for Nevada in the original vote, but upon further I've decided to change my vote to Virginia. Yes, they are both poor teams and fairly evenly matched, but what tips the scale to Virginia for me is the long travel and altitude. Neither of which will be a factor for Nevada. Teams can do things to overcome the effects of these, but I don't see Virginia being that disciplined.

So Virginia.
You'd forgot one other reason. You are Spiffs homey. ;)

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
hawkwing wrote:I had originally voted for Nevada in the original vote, but upon further I've decided to change my vote to Virginia. Yes, they are both poor teams and fairly evenly matched, but what tips the scale to Virginia for me is the long travel and altitude. Neither of which will be a factor for Nevada. Teams can do things to overcome the effects of these, but I don't see Virginia being that disciplined.

So Virginia.
You'd forgot one other reason. You are Spiffs homey. ;)
Spiff is a smart dude, much like yourself.