Sparq Scores

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Sparq Scores

Post by scott715 »

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Footba ... HighSchool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

81 Osa Masina

82 Porter Gustin

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Sparq Scores

Post by Ddawg »

Osa Masina - posted 4 hrs ago - Top 5 schools (Not going to be a Yewt)

Prep Football: Utes not included in Osa Masina’s top five
By Brennan Smith | The Salt Lake Tribune

Brighton linebacker Osa Masina has announced his top five schools and the Utes didn’t make the cut.

Masina, ranked as a 2015 four-star recruit and the No. 1 overall recruit in the state by several recruiting services, tweeted Thursday that he’d narrowed his choices down to UCLA, Michigan, Wisconsin, USC and Arizona State, in no particular order.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/tribpreps/ ... c.html.csp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

What I do not understand is - how did we miss so badly on Porter Gustin? This guy is a stud and he came to BYU wanting to be a Coug. The Coaching Staff dismissed him, and apparently caused animosity - from what I have read. It just appears to be a very bad "miss" on a talented guy in our own backyard.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Ddawg wrote:What I do not understand is - how did we miss so badly on Porter Gustin? This guy is a stud and he came to BYU wanting to be a Coug. The Coaching Staff dismissed him, and apparently caused animosity - from what I have read. It just appears to be a very bad "miss" on a talented guy in our own backyard.
Who knows what demands the father made when they went "intending to sign if offered". His dad thinks he can play 6 positions. Did he demand one BYU did not think he fit. The article said BYU told him their linebacker scholarships were all commited. Did BYU offer something else that his dad did not want or offer nothing. We do not know.

If he was truly committed to wanting BYU - pout and cross them off the list when they do not offer immediately - really? I smell an ego issue. Not the kid. The dad. He has a brother, too. We probably will not get a sniff from him either if he is as good.

The kid only played 5 games last year due to injury. So his stats are not overwhelming. There may have been related questionmarks when he tripped to Provo. Maybe he tried to play too many positions.

if he really wanted to be at BYU, a humble approach mixed with patience may have opened the door.

If we were all out of linebacker scholarships for 2017, we cannot exactly go back on previous commitments made to other players.

I find it interesting to see how Utah seems to have faded regarding in-state recruiting. Utah Just Recently offerwd. Maybe they smelled the ego thing coming as well. This is a bigger blow to Utah. BYU did not offer. Utah did offer. He will likely pick some other PAC 12 school over the PAC 12 Utes.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Good info. Good insight. Thanks.

Go Cougs!

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

Did he ever attend a BYU "camp" that Bronco requires any recruit to attend before making an offer? I thought that was the issue (and the underlying reasons as to why he wouldn't bother to attend.)

It's too bad. Hopefully it's the dad and not the kid or Bronco that are the problem. The most recent thing I read was that Porter said BYU was still an option if they would offer. I don't buy the BYU quote that our linebacker spots are all filled up. There must be something different going on.
Last edited by Stirfry on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
MileHighCougarFan
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by MileHighCougarFan »

I remember reading the article about him not being offered at BYU camp, but have not been able to find where I read it. I decided to look at his profile a little and it does not show either an official or unofficial visit.

I definitely think there is more to the whole story. He may be a great athlete, but if he has the wrong mentality, he won't last in the program anyway.

http://247sports.com/Player/Porter-Gust ... lineEvents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Here's a recent "wrap up" assessment on Gustin. Missing on this kid still makes me sick. Physically, he's an impressive and unusual beast.

"Final Thoughts on Gustin: If Gustin put his mind to playing any sport, I am convinced he could play it at the D1 level. He could end up playing a variety of positions in football. His skillset would make for a good tight end, fullback, middle backer, outside backer, and defensive end (where we project him). Oregon and LSU have even talked about running a quarterback package with Gustin. From a physical standpoint, there aren't too many prospects that can compete with him. The recruiting battle that ensues over Gustin could be one of the most intense this year."

http://byu.scout.com/story/1421458-the-freakiest?s=338" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;