Ranking the 2014 Schedule

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Of the games listed, which is the LEAST difficult?

@ Texas (8-5)
12%
@ UCF (12-1 #10)
15%
@ Boise St (8-5)
74%

Total votes: 34

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Ranking the 2014 Schedule

Post by snoscythe »

Cougarbib wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:it was about a year ago. They could not give any more this year because THEY HAVE NO OPEN HOME DATES LEFT TO GIVE, having already committed so many. NCAA does not allow teams to play too many gsmes on the road to keep certain programs from allowing themselves to sell theemselves out for money.
Your premise is false, and at worst made-up. Michigan exposed the lack of such a rule in 2011 where the only road games it played were it's conference scheduled road games and all four nonconference games were home games. It opened some debate about whether there should be a rule, but nothing ever came of it.

Here's the link to the NCAA rulebook if you want to try and prove your premise:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/D110.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To help you out, Section 17.9 is the football scheduling section.
The rule I heard was not limiting the number of home games. It limited the number of road games. It said a team could not make its players go on the road every week. Otherwise some teams that cannot afford to fund a program would rollover for someone every week to get money. I could be wrong about that rule. I heard it many years ago.
Again, no such rule. I linked the rulebook for you--you could've spent the time you used to rationalized the imaginary rule to actually click through and find out it doesn't exist.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

scott715 wrote:I think the last 2 for 1 was USC more than a year ago. Lately we have gotten 1 for 1 deals with Cal, Stanford and UCLA.

I think TH did the 2 for 1's to make a splash, get us on the map as we started the indy. Now that we have established ourselves there will be few 2 for 1 deals.
We have always gotten 1 for 1 with CAL, UCLA, Oregon State, Arizona, ASU, Washington, Washington State, Utah, etc., and probably always will.

USC is apparently the exception in PAC.

We would have done a 1 and done for Alabama a few weeks ago, but we already had all of our road games filled. We had home slots - but, of course, Bama and programs like Bama will not come to Provo.

Nothing has changed. BYU has not scheduled a new 2 for 1 or 1 and done for a year simply because they have already committed to several road games without return dates and fans will not tolerate more than 1 lower division home game per year to offset them because - boring - and only 1 can count towards bowl eligibility. I think zero should count. Might force SEC teams to play real opponents.

Nothing has changed. BYU will continue to be faced with the same choice in the future: Do not play USC, ND, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma, or Alabama or cut them a deal. When was the last straight up deal we signed with them? Never.

This has nothing to do with Independence. It has to do with the elite programs continually stacking the deck in their favor and then claiming supremacy.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

snoscythe wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:it was about a year ago. They could not give any more this year because THEY HAVE NO OPEN HOME DATES LEFT TO GIVE, having already committed so many. NCAA does not allow teams to play too many gsmes on the road to keep certain programs from allowing themselves to sell theemselves out for money.
Your premise is false, and at worst made-up. Michigan exposed the lack of such a rule in 2011 where the only road games it played were it's conference scheduled road games and all four nonconference games were home games. It opened some debate about whether there should be a rule, but nothing ever came of it.

Here's the link to the NCAA rulebook if you want to try and prove your premise:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/D110.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To help you out, Section 17.9 is the football scheduling section.
BIB RESPONSE: Rule or no Rule - the bottom line is this - for some reason, imaginary or real - BYU schedules 6 home games - not 5 - 6. Thus, every time they give a road game without a return date - BAM - Savanah State, Weber State, Idaho State, or some other lowly team willing to give us a payday game fills that slot - because apparently nobody decent is willing to do that.

if there is no rule - Tom Holme could probably get us a P5 opponent every week on the road and just shut LES down.

END OF RESPONSE: Sorry it got placed here instead of at the end.

The rule I heard was not limiting the number of home games. It limited the number of road games. It said a team could not make its players go on the road every week. Otherwise some teams that cannot afford to fund a program would rollover for someone every week to get money. I could be wrong about that rule. I heard it many years ago.
Again, no such rule. I linked the rulebook for you--you could've spent the time you used to rationalized the imaginary rule to actually click through and find out it doesn't exist.
[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

oops. My response is embedded above.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Cougarbib wrote:Rule or no Rule - the bottom line is this - for some reason, imaginary or real - BYU schedules 6 home games - not 5 - 6. Thus, every time they give a road game without a return date - BAM - Savanah State, Weber State, Idaho State, or some other lowly team willing to give us a payday game fills that slot - because apparently nobody decent is willing to do that.

if there is no rule - Tom Holme could probably get us a P5 opponent every week on the road and just shut LES down.
There is no "if" there is no rule. There simply is no rule. I don't see how that's so hard for you to acknowledge when I already gave you the link where you can see with your own cataract-clouded eyes.

The rest of your post is just hysterical "sky-is-falling" misdirection. Yup, Tom's probably looking to give away road games to turn LES into the "Stadium of Fire-Only-and-No-Sports".

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

snoscythe wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:Rule or no Rule - the bottom line is this - for some reason, imaginary or real - BYU schedules 6 home games - not 5 - 6. Thus, every time they give a road game without a return date - BAM - Savanah State, Weber State, Idaho State, or some other lowly team willing to give us a payday game fills that slot - because apparently nobody decent is willing to do that.

There is no "if" there is no rule. There simply is no rule. I don't see how that's so hard for you to acknowledge when I already gave you the link where you can see with your own cataract-clouded eyes.

The rest of your post is just hysterical "sky-is-falling" misdirection. Yup, Tom's probably looking to give away road games to turn LES into the "Stadium of Fire-Only-and-No-Sports".

Nice Red Herring Sno. I have already acknowledged that IDK if there is a rule. I also made it clear that Tom Holmoe, for whatever his reasons are, IS going to schedule 6 home games.

Thus: he is stuck scheduling Savannah State, Weber State, Idaho State and other crappy programs that will give us a 1 and done to fill the slots because we do not have a road game opening to attract a decent opponent to go home and away. And, thusly, we will continue to be stuck doing this, until we either quit playing the elite teams, or start scheduling 5 home games or less depending how often we keep playing these teams.

PAC seems to respect us and play straight up other than USC. Maybe the short travel distance is also a factor. The ACC seems willing to play us straight up across the board. A few Big 12 teams have played us straight up in the past - just not Texas, Okie, and TCU lately.

Big 10. We do not seem to play many of them, but I suspect Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Nebraska will continue to expect to get an advantage.

We should have scheduled a 20 year home and away with Penn State when they were on the brink.

Peace Out

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Cougarbib wrote:Nice Red Herring Sno.
Actually, it was hyperbole, legitimately used where only an imbecile would mistake it for an assertion of fact:

It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect.

Stirfry
All-American

Post by Stirfry »

Any chance we can call this round and just give it to BSU?

I keep getting my hopes up when I open CC and then I open this thread and my brain dies a little :utard:

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Stirfry wrote:Any chance we can call this round and just give it to BSU?

I keep getting my hopes up when I open CC and then I open this thread and my brain dies a little :utard:
This will help derail the thread more, AND make us all a bit stupider....

Image :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(mountain sleeves) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fallball
Recruit

Post by fallball »

LOL!!! Amen!!

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

ABYUFAN wrote:

This will help derail the thread more, AND make us all a bit stupider....

Image :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
(mountain sleeves) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why did they put red poop on their sleeves? :skeptic:

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.