Why we will beat Texas: Summahtime Edition

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Why we will beat Texas: Summahtime Edition

Post by Hookem »

vancouvercougar wrote:
Hookem wrote:So I haven't visited this site in months, I jump on here and look what I find.

I wish I could provide an honest evaluation as to why I think the OP is either wrong or right in his assessment, but I can't. I tried to offer some insights last year and overshot my evaluation by leaps and bounds in regards to Major Applewhite as a qualified OC and Mack finally doing what it takes to right the ship and bring some toughness and accountability into the program. I had taken a huge gulp of the kool-aid made by the Mack Brown hype-machine.

No more kool-aid drinking for me until I see actual results on the field.
Welcome back Hookem.

Thx, Buddy!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

2013: BYU O annihilated UT D. That won't happen in 2014, even though BYU O will be better YOY. But, UT D will be much improved if only in effort alone; scheme in 2013 couldn't have been worse.

2014: who knows what Ash will be like. And while #3 is now gone, there is another number he will have to be very wary of--#90. Van Noy harassed. Kaufusi Smashes.

Hookem, you might want to warn Coach Strong. UT does have a habit of hubris.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

Charlie Strong was the best hire that UT could have made not named Saban or Briles. Their team is going to look a lot better this year from last, if only in effort. I think they will be schemed better for BYU, and I think it will be hard for us. I have no faith in our offensive line, I have no faith in Robert Anae calling a complete game against a difficult team, and I haven't seen any seperation from our wide receivers against man coverage since Collie and Pitta left. UT will be going a LOT of man against us on the edges and stacking the box against the run.

That, plus the fact that I don't think that our defense will be better than last years defense, at least not on day one. I think we might run the 3-3-5- and Dime packages more with our uncharacteristically weak LB core coming into this year. That has the potential to upset a quarterback and get INTs. It also has potential for them to run a million yards and go over the top (with the DBs zoning into areas against the run).

It could go either way, but if I had to put my families financial future on it, it would be hard for me to put it all down on my Cougs. It should be a good game.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:This article made me sad:

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-couga ... -start-1-2
I can't disagree with any of that. Now the cougars need to go out and prove him wrong.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

BlueIsBetter wrote:UT will be going a LOT of man against us on the edges and stacking the box against the run.
Hopefully.

Contrary to popular sentiment, UT had the box stacked a lot last year. The sentiment didn't match what I had witnessed on game day. So, I re-watched and chronicled the game after hearing so many arm chair coaches claiming that Texas should have stacked the box to stop BYU's 2013 rushing attack.

It was actually stacking the box that hurt Texas in 2013. Half of Taysom's rushing yards happened with 7 or 8 Texas defenders in the box. JW had runs of 19, 34, and 37 yards when Texas had 8 in the box. TH scored a 26 yard TD with 7 in the box and the OLB blitzing. Taysom and JW basically ran outside the box for big gains.

I believe we will see the Texas D look to stop the run first, but spread the field more, forcing Taysom to beat them with his arm. I'm hoping his arm is ready!

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Hookem, is this right? What's your take on this? I've always thought last year's game with Texas was a weird scheming issue gone awry allowing BYU to run and run and run, consequently, Texas's defensive coordinator gets the boot. The BYU fan in me wants to say, "ohhhh, baby-back ribs, did we really run that much over the Texas defense that is actively trying to stop the run?" But part of me is having a hard time accepting that, because well gee whilikers, it's Texas's defense. Lot of talent in those 11.

Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by Hookem »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:Hookem, is this right? What's your take on this? I've always thought last year's game with Texas was a weird scheming issue gone awry allowing BYU to run and run and run, consequently, Texas's defensive coordinator gets the boot. The BYU fan in me wants to say, "ohhhh, baby-back ribs, did we really run that much over the Texas defense that is actively trying to stop the run?" But part of me is having a hard time accepting that, because well gee whilikers, it's Texas's defense. Lot of talent in those 11.
It wasn't the scheme. BYU simply exposed the rot that had been occurring within the program for a while. I watched a smaller, slower Utah squad contain Hill two weeks later even after he had a better night passing than night than he did against us. You could say that the night we played, Hill couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but fortunately for Hill, neither could Texas' tacklers.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

frdbtr wrote:
TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:This article made me sad:

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/byu-couga ... -start-1-2
I can't disagree with any of that. Now the cougars need to go out and prove him wrong.
I agree about his UConn analysis. BYU on the road in the opener is a recipe for disaster. I am as worried about that game as I am of the game @ UT. On the other hand, I'm not worried at all about Houston. They have talent, but we had a lot going against us personnel-wise and they won't have the crowd to pick them up like they did last season. That one we'll win by 20.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

UConn will be a 25 point blowout IF none of our guys get suspended for all this current hush hush drama.

They are in year 1 of a new coach and have almost no talent on that team, no fans (BYU will outnumber UConn) and our team is experienced...

Houston will be a shootout, but it's at our place and we'll run all over them.

Texas at home.... that would be big.. their strength might be our greatest weakness next year, interior run. If Texas is smart, they'll do what Washington did to us, because they can. If they try to get tricky, they'll fail but up the gut power game, they have the horses and we lost our very underrated interior linebackers (in spite of that, Washington, and Wisconsin had their way with us)... I won't say Notre Dame, because I don't think we were dominated in that game... we were sloppy.