Why we will beat Texas: Summahtime Edition

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Why we will beat Texas: Summahtime Edition

Post by Brayden Green »

By "stack the box" I guess I don't mean actually putting 8 in the box, although that is what they did a year ago. Strong is a much better coach than that. They will go man on the corners and put 2 spies on Hill to either side.

UT has the talent to stop our runs, it just depends on where their men are positioned. I wouldn't count on another year of defensive mis-positioning and lackadaisical effort on Texas' part.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Go back and watch the highlights of the Texas game and you'll see that Texas' biggest problems were bad tackling. There were so many arm tackles that BYU runners broke it was comical.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by Hookem »

craigoscarson wrote:UConn will be a 25 point blowout IF none of our guys get suspended for all this current hush hush drama.

They are in year 1 of a new coach and have almost no talent on that team, no fans (BYU will outnumber UConn) and our team is experienced...

Houston will be a shootout, but it's at our place and we'll run all over them.

Texas at home.... that would be big.. their strength might be our greatest weakness next year, interior run. If Texas is smart, they'll do what Washington did to us, because they can. If they try to get tricky, they'll fail but up the gut power game, they have the horses and we lost our very underrated interior linebackers (in spite of that, Washington, and Wisconsin had their way with us)... I won't say Notre Dame, because I don't think we were dominated in that game... we were sloppy.
We have some good running backs coming back in Malcolm Brown, Jonathan Gray and a big maybe in Joe Bergeron. Daje Johnson is our outside the tackles threat. Oline is the big question mark however. Joe Wickline was for me the most exciting assistant coach hire, but I don't expect miracles to be performed the second game of the season against a well coached defense.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Hookem
Freshman

Re: Why we will beat Texas: Summahtime Editiona

Post by Hookem »

SpiffCoug wrote:Go back and watch the highlights of the Texas game and you'll see that Texas' biggest problems were bad tackling. There were so many arm tackles that BYU runners broke it was comical.
This. BYU showed what a tough disciplined team will do to a soft undisciplined team, despite its talent. I personally believe that Mendenhall, because of his friendship with Mack, called the dogs off early. It could've been a lot worse for us.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Confession time. This Texas-BYU matchup is getting to a point of unhealthy obsession. It's just an interesting game. My emotional spectrum is like, up and down, up and down, about this game. Sometimes (like when I started this thread) I am all like, oh snap, I think we can beat Texas in their house. Then, other times I'm like, oh shut the front door. This will be a good game but we may not win because of X, Y, and Z...which keep me awake at night and reading books on meditation and peaceful approaches to conflict. Hookem, is your level of psychosis on this game anything like mine?

I am worked up over the @Texas game to a category in itself. I think it's the toughest game on BYU's schedule, and if we can leave Austin victorious, then we might have a special season in the making. If we notch a W, I will lose all control of every bodily function. At the same time. Forever. :skeptic:

Not saying everything else is downhill, as I have sleepless nights about Houston, Boize State, and @UCF similarly. The @UConn opener is kind of in its own category of delirium, so there's that too. #PemaChodron #goCougs

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Sorry for the double post.

As I was writing the previous entry, I see THIS little gem in the CougarCorner Man Updates: http://t.co/GTqUOsRJ7a :crazy:

Now, there's no need to PM me to see if I'm okay, but let's face it: There goes my sleep/eating schedule for the next few days. In addition, I may present a string of behaviors inconsistent with my own values, thereby necessitating my friends and family to make excuses and light-hearted head-shaking when people ask how I'm doing.

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

TulaneVandyRiceCoug wrote:Confession time. This Texas-BYU matchup is getting to a point of unhealthy obsession. It's just an interesting game. My emotional spectrum is like, up and down, up and down, about this game. Sometimes (like when I started this thread) I am all like, oh snap, I think we can beat Texas in their house. Then, other times I'm like, oh shut the front door. This will be a good game but we may not win because of X, Y, and Z...which keep me awake at night and reading books on meditation and peaceful approaches to conflict. Hookem, is your level of psychosis on this game anything like mine?

I am worked up over the @Texas game to a category in itself. I think it's the toughest game on BYU's schedule, and if we can leave Austin victorious, then we might have a special season in the making. If we notch a W, I will lose all control of every bodily function. At the same time. Forever. :skeptic:

Not saying everything else is downhill, as I have sleepless nights about Houston, Boize State, and @UCF similarly. The @UConn opener is kind of in its own category of delirium, so there's that too. #PemaChodron #goCougs
I had written an absolute masterpiece to your question over my phone. I'd venture to say it was the masterpiece of all online blog masterpieces and somehow I erased it. Sorry.

I'll get back to you in this in more detail, but there are a lot of ?'s for us. Most notably, can Ash stay upright and healthy, and how long will it take Charlie to change a culture from one of entitlement and unaccountability to the complete and polar opposite?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

SpiffCoug wrote:Go back and watch the highlights of the Texas game and you'll see that Texas' biggest problems were bad tackling. There were so many arm tackles that BYU runners broke it was comical.
This is why I have less of a problem with Bronco and Anae's effort over entitlement beliefs. You can have all the lazy, half-arsed 5 star guys in the world on your team and still get solidly whooped by a motivated, hard working 3 star.

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

hawkwing wrote:
This is why I have less of a problem with Bronco and Anae's effort over entitlement beliefs. You can have all the lazy, half-arsed 5 star guys in the world on your team and still get solidly whooped by a motivated, hard working 3 star.
Truth.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

But I want 4 and 5 stars who work their butt off. KVN was one.