Phil Steele 2014 Blog

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Phil Steele 2014 Blog

Post by scott715 »

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2014/JU ... uly21.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of his power sets predict we will go 11-1 this season with the loss to BSU. BSU is the only opponent to make his list. Possible bowl matchup-Cincinnati made the list.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Phil Steele 2014 Blog

Post by Cougarbib »

BYU will go somewhere between 9-3 and 12-0 regular season if key players stay healthy and unsuspended. There. I said the S Word.

I wax optimistic this year. The key to our happiness, therefore is whether we win the bowl game which depends quite a bit on who our opponent is. Thus I am not predicting that outcome yet. Ironically, the more regular season games we lose, up to a point, the more likely it is that we win our bowl game.

Say we are at 12-0. We are going to get a great bowl game and a ranked oponent.
We probably lose that bowl game.

Say we are at 11-1. See above, with only a slightly better chance of winning that bowl game.

Say we are at 10-2. We will get a decent enough bowl opponent and have a 50/50 or better shot.

Say we are at 9-3. We get an average bowl opponent and probably beat them.

Say we are at 8-4. I will be disappointed, but BYU will get a bad bowl opponent and eek out a win.

13-0 gets BYU in the top 4.
12-1 gets BYU in the top 9.
11--2 gets BYU in the top 15.
10-3 gets BYU in the Top 25.
9-4 gets fan sentiment to turn ugly.
8-5 gets someone fired.

Say we are at 10-4. We will get a marginal bowl opponent and beat them.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

14-0 gets BYU the NC

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Phil Steele was on 1280 the Zone today. The radio guys were like, "Hey Phil, give us the good news about our Utah Utes buddy!" And he was like "I have them predicted to go 5-7 this season, though they could always win a game that I have them favored to lose." And the radio guys were like "Oh. Awww!" It was hilarious.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Cougarbib wrote:BYU will go somewhere between 9-3 and 12-0 regular season if key players stay healthy and unsuspended. There. I said the S Word.

I wax optimistic this year. The key to our happiness, therefore is whether we win the bowl game which depends quite a bit on who our opponent is. Thus I am not predicting that outcome yet. Ironically, the more regular season games we lose, up to a point, the more likely it is that we win our bowl game.

Say we are at 11-1. See above, with only a slightly better chance of winning that bowl game.

Say we are at 10-2. We will get a decent enough bowl opponent and have a 50/50 or better shot.

Say we are at 8-4. I will be disappointed, but BYU will get a bad bowl opponent and eek out a win.

8-5 gets someone fired.

I think our bowl game is set, unless we go BCS or aren't eligible.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

There's a slim chance that ESPN moves us to another bowl for a big matchup. I don't expect it. I think we will play Cincinnati which would be a good game.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

scott715 wrote:There's a slim chance that ESPN moves us to another bowl for a big matchup. I don't expect it. I think we will play Cincinnati which would be a good game.
Not only would Cincy be a good game, but it would be a great kickstart to our '15-16 series with the Bearcats. It would make those games more exciting and meaningful.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

BYULV wrote:
Cougarbib wrote:BYU will go somewhere between 9-3 and 12-0 regular season if key players stay healthy and unsuspended. There. I said the S Word.

8-5 gets someone fired.

I think our bowl game is set, unless we go BCS or aren't eligible.
The Bowl is set. The opponent is not as I understand it - Conference has flexibility to move teams around its various bowls a bit.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

We lose one game and we are headed to our predetermined bowl. We go undefeated and maybe we get in another bowl. This is the problem with being an independent.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

Gunk wrote:We lose one game and we are headed to our predetermined bowl. We go undefeated and maybe we get in another bowl. This is the problem with being an independent.

Why is that any different than the MWC? We lose one and we get LV Bowl, then it goes downhill from there to a lesser bowl. With Independence at least we down move down the bowl list with each loss and possibly get left out of a Noel with a 6-6 season.